"Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B... - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Special Delivery" a '71 DJ5-B...

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 07-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #211
Mikes96XJ88FSB
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome builds...Are you still planning to swap the Z drivetrain into the smaller DJ?

Unread 07-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #212
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes96XJ88FSB View Post
Awesome builds...Are you still planning to swap the Z drivetrain into the smaller DJ?
At the moment the original 6cyl and trans seem to function moderately well...the trans shifts out just fine and doesn't slip(it's a 904 torqueflite) and the motor does just fine under throttle but stumbles a bit at idle(think this is due to the fact that original fuel routing was to a filter with a return port...I have been running it with a Holley red pump and a boat tank directly to carb so I think it's just loading up a bit as well as the points are homemade(don't ask) and need replaced)...from what I understand all 904's have the same bellhousing bolt pattern so was considering getting a 4wd trans off of a 318 ram and gettin a Dana 300 transfer case and clocking ring.....but with me things change at the drop of a hat so to answer your question.....don't know yet....lol

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #213
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Ok so here's the current price break down on the little dj...

The dj itself..........$500
Cap n rotor.............$15
2 brake hoses(no longer needed).....$40
2 front springs......$150
Weld on front perches..$10
Front spring bushings...$20
Rear ubolts and blocks....$35
Misc steel ...........$25
----------------------------
Total so far.....$755
Not counting welding wire grinding supplys or paint

Eventually ill owe for the axles and still need tires n rims...but not bad if you ask me...lol

Unread 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #214
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #215
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

So if I have one dj with leaf springs and one with coils...does this mean I have a yjdj ans a tjdj?????

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #216
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

So got the rear axle installed today...was very frustrated to realize that I somehow failed to notice that the rear springs have absolutely no arch what-so-ever when loaded...unlike the new 7 leafs in the front....so I have several options...1st I could fork out a couple hundred bucks on a couple 4" lift springs and get rid of the blocks(ideal)...2nd could waste tons of time and energy chasing down some used spring packs to mix n match leafs till I have some thing I like(least ideal)...and then I could shell out a small amount on a long and short add a leaf kits... Since this rig isn't going to see much wheeling mainly street use only...I could cut down blocks accordingly and get my ride height/stance sorted out...oh well here we go again...

Unread 07-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #217
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

So I found this website totally for mailjeeps...seems they have every part needed to fix/restore your dj...for example for $1750 dollars you can get a "engine conversion kit"...kit my butt...what they call a kit is the entire drivetrain(reconditioned)..plus radiator, plus crossmembers, plus new grill, plus cables...basically everything but body n suspension...can't beat that with a whole pile of sticks...

Unread 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #218
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Well after talking to a buddy of mine up in Memphis...met him up at 4wheel parts where he works and he kicked me several spring packs for 20$...after only two trys got a bastard pack that I believe will do away with the blocks while still riding nice...should have pics on that and rear axle install sometime tomorrow....

Unread 07-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #219
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok well heres a lesson on springology...i.e. "Bastard Pack" 101...idea is simple take multiple junk leaf spring packs, disassemble, mix and match leaves till desired result is achieved...

ok so on to pics....

before with 3" block, and stock spring....notice how flat spring is...also how close to frame/bumpstop..

springs removed..im only gonna show pics of doing one spring...as other side is just exactly the same...

the donor springs i chose to use...also have some single long leafs as well

comparison original verses donor...

you want to make sure to clamp all the leaves together before removing the spring pack bolt/pin

the 2 packs after disassembly...
original...

donor...

i decided to just replace the two short leaves...the two nasty one(top) are from the original pack the two slightly less nasty ones(bottom) are from the donor spring...

all lined up i used a 12" long 1/4" extension and then a large c-clamp to compress the pack....

once i got it mostly compressed i tapped the extension with a hammer till it moved freely in the spring alignment holes..then i used two weld clamps to add extra compression while i bolted it together...

the newly reassembled pack...

and finally after reinstallation....notice the nice arch and distance from frame...and no block...lol...

well thats about it for this post...i hope this provides usefull to someone else...i think it was a nice improvement for $20 cash and 45 minutes a side ....stay tuned for more jeep fun...lol

Unread 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #220
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

sorry one of the pics in the above post got messed up...and i will be re-disassembling the spring packs to paint and replace the spring bolt/pins with new grade 9 hardware...

Unread 07-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #221
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Well so totally lost my train of thought.....I'll get back to it later I guess

Unread 07-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #222
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Ok so brain kicked in...since I'm temporarily stuck on Jack stands...I decided to do a little prep on body...so yanked out scabbed in left seat...it was ugly and full of recluses anyway...pulled up the vinal mat only to find that the postal service dept did a no so professional re-skin on the floors....I'll remedy that rather quickly...and pulled the grill and removed all paint ant the coat of truck bed coating some idiot had sprayed on it...now it sits in the shed awaiting a good wet sand, primer, and some fresh paint...thinking bout an almond with brown n red accents...

Unread 07-31-2013, 06:05 AM   #223
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Well gee guess if I want any feed back I need to go buy a boring yj or tj and order a bunch of stupid bolt on stuff...and paint it fluorescent green....cause obviously if you dont have one of those cop-out yuppie jeeps...and a pile if cash to throw at it...no one gives a $#!@!!!!......

Unread 07-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #224
berettajeep
1947 CJ2A 

Well at least from me I like what you're doing so i wont say anything, I'll just watch and admire. Now if you were doing something very ridicules I would jump in and say "hold on a sec"
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #225
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettajeep View Post
Well at least from me I like what you're doing so i wont say anything, I'll just watch and admire. Now if you were doing something very ridicules I would jump in and say "hold on a sec"
Thanks man...so why did ya sell the truck build....and I won't be doin much for a while my grinder took a dump and with multiple kids to outfit for school...can't afford a new one just yet...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.