Son-of-Beast 2002 WJ Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Son-of-Beast 2002 WJ Limited

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 01-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Son-of-Beast 2002 WJ Limited

OK, this WJ is my first Jeep but not my first 4x4.

I have previously owned a couple IH Scout II's ('77 and '78), both with the IH 345 and 3 spd auto's - one topped out at over 300,000 miles. The Scout's were known as Beast and Beast II.

Also have a '99 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 extended cab, 5.2 42RFE 4-spd.

Now for the WJ, Son-of-Beast.

2002 WJ Limited, Charcoal Metallic, Sunroof, 545RFE, 4.7, Quadra-Drive. Previous owner had disabled the front axle (looks like they had a ring/pinion issue and pulled the half-shafts and front driveshaft rather than fix it - dumba$$).

Began looking like this on mostly worn out stock size tires.

First mod was a Flowmaster 40 Series Deltaflow muffler and Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's. Looks and sounds pretty good.

Then I replaced the POS stereo the previous owner 'installed' and installed a JY 10-disc cd-changer, this returned the steering wheel controls and sound is pretty good.

About a month after I bought it I discovered the blend doors were bad, ordered the through-the-glove-box heater-treater and knocked it out in a long afternoon.

Put on my first road-trip, a 1600 mile round trip, and really liked it.

On the way home on that trip, the heater core let go, so I had the dealer replace it, an expensive fix but flawlessly executed and the best price I was quoted (Rancho Jeep in San Diego FYI).

Replaced the drivers door master switch panel with a clean JY unit to correct an issue with the rear windows and rear door locks.

After my 3000 mile Christmas road trip, I discovered a small radiator leak and had it replaced.

This past weekend, 4Wheel Parts in El Cajon installed my KOR 2.5" BB and Rancho RS5000's along with performing a four-wheel alignment. Rides smooth, corners well, and tracks nice and straight. This is what it looks like now:

Final mods are Kennesaw Mountain Accessories front Wincher bumper, Multi-Carrier rear bumper, and rock sliders. Similar to the photos below except mine will be satin black, no brush guard, and no extra turn signals but with 55W driving lights which I will wire into the fog light circuit with a HD relay.

Once all the armor is on, the only remaining issue will be to have the front Vari-Lok rebuilt, and finally install a Warn 9000Xi or similar winch.

On the fence about a roof rack - when I move the spare to the rear carrier, it opens up a lot of storage space in the old spare cubby. I like the looks of the Rolla, and have seen some pretty nice homebrew designs that can be built without welding - not sure yet.

I love this thing, so much comfort and power, it is more fun than a human being should be allowed to have.

'Son-of-Beast' - '02 WJ Limited, 4.7, 545RFE 5-spd Auto, Quadra-Drive, KOR 2.5" BB, Rancho RS5000's, Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's, Flowmaster DeltaFlow 40, KMA/TAG armor, JK Fuel Door, Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, LED Taillights, LED Interior Lights - Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...imited-956744/
Son-of-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Talked to Kyle at KMA today, all parts are fabbed, going into paint tomorrow and will ship hopefully Thursday, should be here late next week and installed next weekend.

Original order and deposit was placed in late November, timeline is within a week of expectations so far.

I am getting a little excited!
'Son-of-Beast' - '02 WJ Limited, 4.7, 545RFE 5-spd Auto, Quadra-Drive, KOR 2.5" BB, Rancho RS5000's, Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's, Flowmaster DeltaFlow 40, KMA/TAG armor, JK Fuel Door, Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, LED Taillights, LED Interior Lights - Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...imited-956744/
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

can't wait to see this! bump
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum5.9 View Post
can't wait to see this! bump
Thanks man! I am very happy with how this is coming together so far, and I look forward to wheeling it this Spring and Summer, both here in CA and in TX when we go on vacation.
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Well, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, a few mistakes, and some good old fashioned BFH and come-along engineering, here is the current status of Son-of-Beast:

Tires - Done
Lift - Done
Armor - Done (mostly), rock sliders start this weekend.

And here it is as it sits outside my office this morning:

Report Card on Kennesaw Mountain Acccessories - I had said at the beginning that I was aware of the negative vibe about KMA and that I would report back on how the build went.

I am pleasantly surprised. There have been a few minor communication issues, some minor scheduling issues related to lights, and the installation instructions are pretty sparse, but the bumpers themselves are very nicely designed, feature some truly clever elements, and appear to be extremely well built.

The big question is this, would I do it again? My answer is yes, without question. I would be a bit more pro-active about scheduling, and I would insist that the shop doing the install call me or Kyle at KMA with any questions before whipping out the power tools, but I would absolutely use KMA again for armor. Even the guys at 4WP who struggled a bit with the install all were very happy with the end result.

Kyle has been extremely responsive to me, before and after the bumper fab. I think KMA can do a better job communicating how things are going to happen (basically setting the expectation), but Kyle does not seem to mind explaning things over the phone or via e-mail.
Unread 02-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Bumpers look good. Looks like about time for a gas tank lift.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Thanks! Yeah, I have been thinking about the gas tank lift since I ordered the bumpers. Not sure yet but it would be a nice mod, sure would provide crazy clearance back there.
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Some additional photos:

Unread 02-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Rocker555
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great keep it up
Rocker555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker555 View Post
Looks great keep it up
I agree. This thing is sweet.

I feel like there's something missing to it. I feel like it needs something on the roof. Maybe a winch.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Yeah, thinking maybe a Rolla roof rack or a homebrew/Home Depot special based on some of the plans other guys have shared.

Also thinking that when I go to the JY next to pick up cross bars for the factory rack, I will get 3 bars instead of 2, and turn one into a light bar.

Probably going with a 9000lb capacity winch with synthetic rope.

I love the looks I get from other WJ drivers, the guys all nod their heads and smile or look away hoping I don't see them drooling, the Soccer Moms are trying to figure out if it is a Jeep like theirs or not.

I am super happy with how it is coming together.

Latest shot with Hi-Lift mounted:
Unread 02-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Latest progress:

Front with D-rings

Rear with D-rings

Standing proud

New pads and painted calipers

55W driving lights and custom mesh grill inserts hand made by yours truly
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

UPDATE - I was planning to set up a build thread to cover the recent mods I made and then remembered I had already started a build thread, 4 YEARS ago.

So, I'll post up some details and photos and lessons-learned in the following posts from previous posts covering my recent mods and will add to this collection as I go through future mods and fixes as well.

Enjoy!
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

UPDATE - Interior LED Mod
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

UPDATE - Spyder CCFL Halo Projector Headlight and CG LED Taillight Mod

Installed the Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, took longer than I wanted - instructions were good except they suggest using tap-splices to connect the Halo inverter to the LED leads, don't do this, the wire guages are too different and you won't get a solid connection (no halo's). Instead I removed the insulation from the LED leads and wrapped the CCFL inverter leads around the exposed wires and then taped it up - works great.

Also got the LED 3rd brake light installed - super happy with all the new lights (also recently did LED's for courtesy, map, footwell and cargo/dome lights) - Jeep has joined the 21st century.

Before

After

Edited to add a couple more shots
Clean modern front end - will Rhinoline the TAG front and rear bumpers to match the Bushwacker fender flares which are February's mod

The high beam halos seem to take longer to charge up but it's symmetrical

Installed CG LED Taillights, ordered from CARid.com on Wednesday, arrived today, took 10 minutes and look great IMO.

Before

After

LED 3rd Brake Light installed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.