SoCal 73 Wagoneer Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > SoCal 73 Wagoneer Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/

Unread 02-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

SoCal 73 Wagoneer Build

Picked this up for a good price and now I am going to get to work on it. I look forward to the adventure!

img_2676.jpg  
73wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
TexNVa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like that sucker is in decent shape too. How's the underside look?

what do you have planned?
TexNVa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
frankthomson
1986 CJ7 

I miss my 73 soooooooooooo bad.

that looks sweet brother. GOOD LUCK!!!
Unread 02-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

First I am taking care of all the mechanics of the jeep. I had it fully inspected and I will be replacing a rear pinion seal, the driveshaft seal (will be checking the driveshaft as well), slow leaking radiator, vacuum advance, thermostat, transfer case mount and starter solenoid in the next week. The engine was rebuilt and has about 5K miles on it, it seems to be in good shape. The shape and condition of the transmission is unknown, but it runs great for now.

Once I get it running good, I am going to give it new paint (not sure on color yet) and also redoing the entire interior with new upholstery (door panels, seats, carpet) and also will be lining it with dynamat or some equivalent material.

Thats my dream anyway - I will be posting all of it here online so stay tuned.

I cleaned the engine up today and you can see the difference.
img_20150118_145447.jpg   img_20150118_145424.jpg   img_2690.jpg   img_2692.jpg  
Unread 02-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
84jeepcj7rock

Just clean up the paint and shoot some clear over it. It looks sweet as it is.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
91AzXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice FSJ! Had a 65 which I wish I had kept. Now sorta looking for a J-10
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

So today i decided to take a look at the rear window motor. The PO told me that it needed a new motor and the window would not roll up more than halfway and also needed to be guided by hand both up and down.

As I took a look inside I quickly found the problem. The screws that are supposed to secure the window to the rear door were either loose, stripped or broken. It literally had no support, which explains why it would always rattle. I cut the head off of the 2 stripped screws with a dremel and replaced 4 screws with the metal bushings that they came with. I cant seem to get the 5th in, it seems that the threads are really jacked up.

Works like a champ now, goes up and down super fast. I got to lock up my jeep for the first time tonight!

Will post a video of the working window tomorrow. I actually have a working rear window woohoo!!
screws.jpg   img_2710.jpg   img_2709.jpg  
Unread 02-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #8
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Today I decided to get rid of that leaking pinion seal and also take a look inside the rear differential and see what kind of shape its in. I also wanted to open it up to get a look at the gears.

You can kind of see from this pic that it is leaking around the pinion seal

I then removed the driveshaft and now am looking at the seal here

Bearings seemed to be ok

Removed the rear cover and the gear oil looked like a chocolate milkshake

No metal shavings or anything in the cover

Gears were actually in great shape, wearing evenly, no chips

Installed the new pinion seal and new gasket for cover and no more leaks!

One thing that I noticed is that when I was turning the wheel right before I took the pinion seal off is that only one wheel was turning, I was not sure why. Once I added new gear oil and replaced the seal, I turned the one wheel and now two wheels were turning. The nut that holds the seal, washer and bearing in was also kind of loose and I think it was causing my truck to vibrate and shake at around 50-60 mph. That is now gone and it is riding much smoother.
Unread 03-01-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Decided to rip out the carpet today. My lights werent working right and there seems to be a short somewhere, I noticed when I click the brights on, the floor by my feet in the drivers seat gets hot. As I drove the jeep in the rain today, smoke and steam actually came from under my feet area, kind of scary so I decided I would find out exactly what the issue is. The carpet could have and probably was the original carpet, it was really old and nasty. As I removed the carpet I quickly found the issue, a shorted out wire with loose ends that are all melted. After I cleaned it up, my brights worked!
img_2798.jpg   img_2797.jpg   img_2799.jpg   img_2802.jpg   img_2803.jpg  

img_2804.jpg  
Unread 03-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
frankthomson
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91AzXJ View Post
Nice FSJ! Had a 65 which I wish I had kept. Now sorta looking for a J-10

dood, there's 2 sweet j10's or 20"s(?), both white, over here in DELAWARE...one is like $3850 and the other is $9k

man if i didnt already have 4 vehicles, i'd buy them both
uggg

and 73: man i love ur truck!
Unread 03-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #11
73wagon
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

thanks frankthompson! Its a work in progress like me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.