So I bought a CJ-7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage
So I bought a CJ-7

Yup, been out of a Jeep for about two years. The longest I've gone without owning one and I decided to jump on a CJ7 that has her fair share of issues. So we'll see how this goes.

I Used to own a TJ, then a JK Rubicon, and then another TJ... a few years down the road and I now own this thing:

Do not do what I did.

Last edited by ChrisNAngus; 05-25-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage
To start with, she has her fair share of problems. Oil pressure is running a little high so I'm going to swap out the PCV and try to make sure all the vacuum lines go where they're supposed to be going. She spit up some oil on the hour highway drive home, kind of expected it. Wondering if I should put an oil fill cap on that front hole.

Do not do what I did.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Scott00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice CJ, welcome back to the Jeep world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage
I don't know what this blown out plastic cover is nor why I have a rusted out hole on a cover of the exhaust manifold. So there's some things to figure out.

Do not do what I did.

Last edited by ChrisNAngus; 05-25-2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: added second picture
post #5 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott00TJ View Post
Nice CJ, welcome back to the Jeep world.
Thanks man! Got a lot of work to do on this thing before I can DD it for the next two-ish years.

Do not do what I did.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Also, pretty sure I figure out what this thing is:

Charcoal canister for emissions but it's only got one hose hooked up that runs out to the back of the Jeep. Assuming it ends at the fuel tank but Ill have to follow it and find out for sure.

Do not do what I did.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Scott00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNAngus View Post
Thanks man! Got a lot of work to do on this thing before I can DD it for the next two-ish years.
Those are the fun projects. Take your time and enjoy that you are bringing an old Jeep back to life. It will be frustrating at times, but eh, its a Jeep, you knew that already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage

Here she is, clean idle, not knocking or rocking, no weird sounds, only a little oil leaking, but has high pressure. Going to replace all the grommets on top of the oil, oil and filter change, new pcv, clean or replace all the hoses, and put a crank case vent filter on the back instead of having a hose to the carb. I don't want oil spitting up into the carb.

Do not do what I did.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott00TJ View Post
Those are the fun projects. Take your time and enjoy that you are bringing an old Jeep back to life. It will be frustrating at times, but eh, its a Jeep, you knew that already.
Haha thanks man. Luckily I'm okay on money for a few months that I can keep the f-250 and the CJ-7. So I've got the summer to work on the CJ and get er up to DD shape.

Do not do what I did.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-28-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNAngus View Post
I don't know what this blown out plastic cover is nor why I have a rusted out hole on a cover of the exhaust manifold. So there's some things to figure out.

According to the repair manual on pg B-110 these are called a "heat stove" and a "plug." The heat stove doesn't appear to do anything of any importance. I can't even track down a replacement and none of the replacement exhaust manifolds have one or require one.

I'm only 50% sure that plastic bit is a "plug." need to do more research.

Do not do what I did.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Well, after changing the oil for rotella t-4 15w40, putting a new PCV valve, new oil filter, a new oil filler cap, and taking off the back hose and putting a vent filter, my oil pressure rides ride at 40 on idle. Running pretty good right now. Still trying to figure out if that little plastic bit is a "plug." Also have to do something about my choke. I realized its tied by, literally, a shoe string when changing all of this other stuff out.

Do not do what I did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.