Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

And so it begins...5.7 Hemi conversion

110K views 191 replies 40 participants last post by  sduncan 
#1 ·
I finally have secured enough( I hope) $$ to get my Hemi swap started and completed by the end of the year. I'll be working with and getting tech help and all the needed parts from Todd at Jeep Speed Shop. This is something that I have wanted to do for the past few years and am looking forward to getting it done and back on the road soon. I'll be taking pix and documenting quite a bit of the conversion and posting some of the highlights here.

So here it goes..

Today I pulled the entire harness so it can be shipped out to be mated up with the Hemi harness. I also dismantled most of the accessory wiring and removed the ARB compressor, the Premier Welder, the EVAP, the cruise control and all the other items attached to the fenderwells. The radiator,condensor,grill, winch and bumper were removed too.

Tomorrow I plan to get the fenders off and get the rest of the drivetrain ready to pull on Tuesday.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Well I accomplished a little today....hood, and fenders off. I had to take a couple of hours to go pick up my cherry picker and weld some new swiveling casters on it....It helps a lot when the damn thing rolls smooth.

I'm planning on pulling the motor tomorrow and getting the harness shipped off.

More to follow...

#10 ·
A quick update:

I picked up my 5.7 and trans a few days ago along with most of the parts needed for the swap but I'm still waiting for a few things to be drop shipped to me. What I'm needing the most at the moment is the motor mounts.
The frame is ready for the mounts and then some paint. I've already finished the Savvy body lift and the fuel pump swap and I located an 05 dash cluster and the plugs and wiring for it so that will be done shortly.
Today was spent chasing misc parts and getting the motor ready to go in

Its coming along pretty well so far. Here's a pic of the motor..

Attachments

#11 ·
How are you getting by with smog. Only reason is I live in Reno and am being told that our DMV requires that the motor has to have been offered in the model you are putting it in. Sucks if it's true that Nevada's smog laws are more stringent than Ca's.
I'm envious if you can't tell. Good luck with the conversion.

#12 ·
In Cali it has to be the same "type" of vehicle, (light truck or SUV for the TJ) same year or newer and all original emissions equipment from the new motor has to be installed. It goes to the BAR referree for certification and if all is right, its legal. JSS has done numerous Ca legal conversions and that is one of the reasons I chose them. Being legal was a priority for me in this project.

#13 ·
We got a lot accomplished today.

The motor mounts arrived and I am finally feeling well enough to go outside (felt like crap the last few days).
I have to say this...the Advanced Adapters motor mounts are THE way to go to mount a Hemi in a TJ. They use a "gauge" and index off a hole in the frame. Set the gauge, clamp them down, double check your measurements and burn them in. The block mounts fit perfectly as well. I welded them out, painted the frame and mounts and we slid the motor in like it was meant to be there. I've done factory replacements that didn't go as smooth. The rear setup used the JSS mount bolted to the factory mount and attached to the Rubicon Express skid. I had to drill jus two holes( as previously told I would)
to make it all work. It was all just too easy..
Before the motor went in I did a little touch up paint on it. As it sits right now the motor is in. Tomorrow I crack the transfer case for seal replacement and to check the chain and wear parts. If all looks good I'll get it in and hooked up.
A few pics for now.

Attachments

#14 ·
Pre fab of the exhaust done today. I am using JK cats mounted in the factory (for an 06 Ram truck) location. We still need to add the bungs for the (4) 02 sensors and TIG weld it up. We used 2 in. and 2 1/2 in tubing with a Magnaflow muffler. Once thats done it can go in permanently and I can finish up the underside. I am supposed to get the harness and the radiator next week (I hope) and get the fenders etc back on. I'll post more pics when I get it installed...

Attachments

#15 ·
I have figured out something...getting the old motor out and getting the new one in is the easiest part of the whole deal. Its all the little stuff that takes forever..
Fuel line...goes from the jeep 5/16 to Hemi 3/8 quick connect.
Power steering...converting the lines to fit the jeep steering box to the Hemi PS pump so I had a custom pressure line built. The return is 1/2 hose in off the resevior but 3/8 to the steering box. I'm running a PS cooler and making the line. See the pics.
Exhaust...making it all fit and Cali legal...A medium sized PITA...Thanks to my buddy Edwin at Avenger Mfg.
I'm placing an order Monday for a new NP 231HD transfer case from JB Conversions. It'll have the wide chain, 6 pinion planetary, short input gear, and a Super Short SYE with a 1350 series flange for the driveline. I really don't want any issues when out and about.
I got my Novak Cable shifter for the transfer case delivered. (Thanks Gerald.)

So I did get a few things done today..Trans cooler lines, 02 sensors in, PS cooler is ready to go, PS lines in, fuel line done, Fenders and grill back on...
I need the radiator, the harness(2 wks out..Thanks Chris Squire @ Hotwire for pushing it thru and lots of good tech help)) the NVLD system, and to get the drivelines done after the t-case gets here.
A few pics below..

#16 ·
A quick update...power steering lines, cooler, and the the condenser are in. The new radiator got here today and we got that in. I've decided to go with an entire 06 tank and wrangler NVLD system after talking to another forum member and reading thru his build thread who went this route. I found a clean complete NVLD today but the tank had broken plastic fittings so the hunt is on for an 06 tank.

Attachments

#19 ·
New Years Eve update...We had a few hours this afternoon to get some things done. We got the radiator hoses cut to fit and in and more importantly we got the NVLD in!! And..I got the NVLD in the rear fenderwell and kept my flush mount LED tail lights. This took some doing as I had to space the NVLD out a little using some spacers and notch the plastic enderwell. I'll fab a piece to cover the hole I had to cut but that will be easy.

I want to add something here that should be clarified. When I speak of "we" completing something or getting something fixed or fabbed up I'm talking about me and my father. I'm 43 now and Dad is hitting 70 in a few months. He still gets on a creeper and underneath or in the middle of whatever we are working on. We have been tearing into and building cars, trucks, sand rails, VWs, ATCs quads, and whatever else since I was about 8 when I tore my first mini bike down. Dads been doing it since the 50s. We have a great time doing this stuff and wrenching on whatever. I hope that the rest of you are able to or got to do projects with your fathers. Its one of the things I'll always remember later in life that we did and had a lot of fun doing. So thanks Dad..:cheers2:

Heres a pic of the radiator, the PS cooler, the installed NVLD from today and one of Dad when we pulled the 4.0.

Happy New Year all!!!!!

#21 ·
sduncan said:
A quick update...power steering lines, cooler, and the the condenser are in. The new radiator got here today and we got that in. I've decided to go with an entire 06 tank and wrangler NVLD system after talking to another forum member and reading thru his build thread who went this route. I found a clean complete NVLD today but the tank had broken plastic fittings so the hunt is on for an 06 tank.
Just stopped by to check in on you. Looking good. Glad you got the tail lights and NVLP all to play nice with each other. Be carefully of broken gas tanks I had gone through 3 before I got a good one. But the 05-06 tank is the way to go. When you get that thing done you should come up to HOLLISTER Hills we could have a HEMI party .

#24 ·
What are your costs like so far, (into the build and projected completion cost if you don't mind me asking)? I haven't seen to much info on these swaps into earlier model TJ's.. Im comparing this to a 5.9L swap and wondering how much more I want that extra 100hp.. haha

#26 ·
Well everything finally got delivered. I have the harness, transfer case, and an 06 fuel tank. Now all I need is some time to get it done. We are now packing up for a move so between that, work, getting everything organized for the move, taking un-needed stuff to storage or donations, there just aren't enough hours. I will be spending this Wednesday getting the harness in. I need to do that first before the transfer case. Then the tank, drivelines, and making a final decision on an air filter set up.

I have to say that the quality of work by Chris at Hotwire is exceptional. Everything is labeled for easy install and it looks better than factory.
JB Conversions sent me a HD231J. It has the wide chain,super short SYE, 6 pinion planetary, the correct input input gear,and the rear flange that will accept either a 1310 or 1350 flanged CV. All the cases and parts are new and spotless.
So here's a couple of pics of the harness and t-case. I'll post again when some real progress is made.

#27 ·
sduncan said:
Well everything finally got delivered. I have the harness, transfer case, and an 06 fuel tank. Now all I need is some time to get it done. We are now packing up for a move so between that, work, getting everything organized for the move, taking un-needed stuff to storage or donations, there just aren't enough hours. I will be spending this Wednesday getting the harness in. I need to do that first before the transfer case. Then the tank, drivelines, and making a final decision on an air filter set up.

I have to say that the quality of work by Chris at Hotwire is exceptional. Everything is labeled for easy install and it looks better than factory.
JB Conversions sent me a HD231J. It has the wide chain,super short SYE, 6 pinion planetary, the correct input input gear,and the rear flange that will accept either a 1310 or 1350 flanged CV. All the cases and parts are new and spotless.
So here's a couple of pics of the harness and t-case. I'll post again when some real progress is made.
Looks great. I was really impressed with the quality of the harness as well. You are getting close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.