Snafu's 06' LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Snafu's 06' LJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Snafu's 06' LJ

This is my 5th jeep and I hate to admit it but I think I like it the best.

My last one was a CJ-7, SOA, d44&14b, 350/sm420/d300 on 38's and I loved it! I blew the motor on it a few years back so I built a shop so I could take it down to the frame and build it back bigger and stronger. Some family issues came up just when I had it all torn apart so it has sat for 4+ years. I've had a company vehicles for the last 20yrs so I never really had a personal vehicle for day to day use. I got a promotion at work into middle management but the catch was they took my company truck. Its a 50 drive to work so I'm looking for a little used honda and my wife told me 'forgetaboutit' get a jeep, and I did!

Of course I didn't take any pics the first 6 months so this will begain where I started make some mods. Nothing big or fancy just starting slow and making sure I do it right. I can't afford to make dumb@#% mistakes!(I'll make them, I just can't afford them!)

The first two pics show the original bumpers and the last two show the new ones. The front if from Rock Solid Fab in Fort Smith. Justin is great to work with. He makes sure you get what you want and his is very reasonable on price.

The rear is a Warn.

bumpers-001.jpg   bumpers-003.jpg   rocksolid_front_tj_bumper.jpg   nov_24_superlift-066.jpg  
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

My next little mod was installing 12volt guy in dash switch panel. Man, he makes great stuff! The switch for my auto overdrive wasn't a momentary switch like I needed. Darren shipped me what I needed along with the little tool you need to install it and it worked like a charm. I want another one of his panels but I just can't figure out what I need one for. Maybe I can just put one on my desk at work for inspiration!!!

I also installed an ARB underhood compressor.

The wife and I went to Moab last summer and rented a jeep from Cliffhanger Rentals. It was a Rubi on 35's, 5:13's on a 4" lift. We had a great time, did 6 trails in 5 days. Absolutely loved Poison Spider Mesa! We had been home about a month and The Wife said "don't you need lockers"? I mean, how do you answer a question like that? That's like asking do you need to sleep? Do you need to pee? Do you need to kill the neighbors cat the keeps climbing on your jeep and scratching and crapping on your hood? I mean, really, of course I do! After I mounted the ARB compressor I took it to Come Get Ya Some in Fort Smith and Cody and Dwayne installed some 4:56 gears and Zip Lockers front and rear. I really like it.

Last pic is one from Moab.
switch-panel.jpg   arb.jpg   moab-day-three-poison-spyder-mesa-012.jpg   moab-day-three-poison-spyder-mesa-013.jpg   dsc04613.jpg  

Unread 01-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Had to try out the new gears and lockers so we went to Superlift ORV in Hot Springs. It worked like it should but the best part was my son was traveling through on his way to his new base in Kansas. We got to try out his little jeep.

Just a couple of his jeep and the last one is a pic of son and parents in front of his daily driver.
nov_24_superlift-053.jpg   nov_24_superlift-057.jpg   nick-us.jpg  
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Today's mod is a Savvy mm and bl with a Novak transfer case linkage. Started at 9am and finished at 6pm with a break for lunch and a trip to Napa. I couldn't drop the skid plate because of a couple or bad nutserts. It was rough working around the skid and driveshaft but it now shifts 'like butter'!

These are the pics before I started. When I bought it the p.o had put a Fabtech 2" budget lift on it. It's still there but sometime next year I hope to have a little something Savvy in there instead.
1-12-13-003.jpg   1-12-13-004.jpg   1-12-13-008.jpg   1-12-13-010.jpg   1-12-13-012.jpg  

Unread 01-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here we are at the end of the day.. looks like a little over 1 1/4!
1-12-13-014.jpg   1-12-13-031.jpg   1-12-13-020.jpg   1-12-13-021.jpg   1-12-13-024.jpg  

Unread 01-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I eventually will have the Savvy tummy tuck. The next purchase will be a SYE and new driveshaft but until then I'll be installing this tomorrow.
1-12-13-027.jpg  
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice build so far. Any comments good or bad on the zip lockers so far?
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Nice build so far. Any commants good or bad on the zip lockers so far?
They work! They behave just like the ones on the Rubi I rented in Moab so I'm very satisfied with them.
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I cant believe you installed the shifter without dropping the skid . Having installed one myself I dont know how you got the shift selector off the t case ! Nice work so far and welcome to the LJ club .

Posion Spider is a fun trail , did you go all the way through Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim ?
Unread 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I cant believe you installed the shifter without dropping the skid . Having installed one myself I dont know how you got the shift selector off the t case ! Nice work so far and welcome to the LJ club .

Posion Spider is a fun trail , did you go all the way through Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim ?
I was cussin like a sailor there at the end and I can't hardly raise my arms today but its in! We made it to the overlook that looks down on Moab. I don't know if it has a name. We did Elephant Hill, Top of the World and a couple of trails in Arch's National Park (can't remember their names) totally alone. We only saw 2 rigs during Elephant Hill, no one else during Top of the World or the trails in Arch's. It was pure heaven! The the last two days we met up with a group from www.ucora.org and ran Hell's Revenge and Poison Spider.

I'm really liking the LJ. I sometimes feel like I'm cheating on my CJ but like most things in life, an extra few inches in length sure makes things nice....

Here's a few pics. First is one from Elephant Hill, then one from Top of the World,(the pay off shot!) and one from Hells Revenge. I think they call the obstacle 'tip over challenge'. I had a great local spotter and it wasn't a problem. The last pic is from one of the trails in Arch's. It was way the heck down a gravel road then turn off on the trail and it went way the heck out to a pretty nice arch. It was getting dark on the way back and the stars were awsome so we stopped at a huge boulder and l lit a cigar and we kicked back and marveled at God's creation. It was the best moment of the whole trip!
moab-2012-065.jpg   day-two-top-world-013.jpg   dsc04713.jpg   moab-day-three-arches-judiths-trail-038.jpg  
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sanfu welcome to the LJ club, I love Moab it is an incredible place and I am looking forward to taking my LJ out there this summer. Thank your son for his service, that is an incredible machine. One of the few helos I have not had the pleasure of flying in and probably never will I think Apache pilots have two sets of eyes!

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Moab's on my bucket list for sure! Nice looking LJ!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Sanfu welcome to the LJ club, I love Moab it is an incredible place and I am looking forward to taking my LJ out there this summer. Thank your son for his service, that is an incredible machine. One of the few helos I have not had the pleasure of flying in and probably never will I think Apache pilots have two sets of eyes!
Rusty, a few months back The Wife and I went to visit him and got a chance to watch the Apache's do their thing. HOLY CRAP that is one impressive flying machine When he was a kid I use to take him to Superlift ORV and I would let him drive my CJ. Heck, he was only 12 the first time and the last was when he went off to college. I could always trust him not to put himself in a situation where a lot of damage could happen to my jeep. Last month we went back to the park and he brought his jeep. After a couple of trails he was taking every single line that could possibly put you on your lid. I told The Wife that I was getting worried and I couldn't figure out why he was picking the lines he was... The Wife said that his level of excitement must have changed once he started flying the Apache. I think she's right.
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The Arkansas Crawlers had a club trail ride yesterday and I got a chance to see if the BL and new Novak shifter would help a feller out. They did! Warmed up on a couple of level 3's and then went to Ultimate Adventure and then the last run was up the Gorge. Had to pull cable to get out of a hole and over a ledge at the start of Gorge but otherwise, no other problems. The trails were wet which added a lot of excitement! I can not wait to get the Savvy skids! This is going to be so much fun once I go flat!
037.jpg   1-19-13-video-001-0-01-10-03.jpg   039.jpg  
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good, does the hardtop creak when you wheel? Nice pic of you chilling in Moab.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.