Slow ZJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Slow ZJ build

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-18-2014, 02:49 AM   #1
love2offroad
1994 ZJ 

Slow ZJ build

To start off. I bought my Grand Cherokee about 8-9 months ago. $1350 is what I haggled the guy down to. 112,000 miles. 5.2 w/ 249 t-case. I had no idea about jeeps. Needless to say, Jeepforum became my best friend. Thanks to everyone for all the help by the way. Right away I had the itch to lift it. 2 months later I installed a Rough Country 3.5 f>r coil swap with the help of my buddy. He has no clue about vehicles and I had basic know how. I picked up a set of worn 32" bf goodrich all terrain tires to see how they'd fit. A little bumper trimming and I was golden. I pulled my front shaft for the summer because I had bad u-joints and I heard from you fella's here that the rezeppa style shaft was S***. I drove it all summer without 4wd. Just before winter I decided to tackle the 231 transfer case swap. Grabbed one out of the local pick and pull yard out of another ZJ. Pulled the bezel too. I installed a SYE and new shafts front and rear as well as a new yoke to get rid of the rezeppa style front shaft. (Goodbye money, Hello new driveline) I got everything installed and have had no real issues with it. Except a small leak, in the t-case so I will tear it out when it warms up and re-seal it. I bought some new Kenda Klever 32" tires and love them. They come recommended from me. I ordered a Rustys adjustable track bar to center the axle and replace the worn one. After a month I couldn't keep it in the lane. I decided to get adjustable upper CA's to replace the factory crap and fix my pinion angle. I got them local from Core 4x4. They do a lot of business on ebay and I have good reviews for them. That fixed my horrible steering and it currently drives better now than it did when I bought the jeep. In case you are wondering. I have fixed so many of those nuisance parts and have yet to fix all of them. Guess thats what I get for driving a ZJ. And don't hate on my writing skills, I barely passed English in High School and it's 3am. Up next are some rock sliders and a new transfer case skid. If I can get someone with a welder to hook a brother up. Hint Hint.... I'll post up some pic's if it will let me

Unread 01-18-2014, 03:04 AM   #2
love2offroad
1994 ZJ 

Got a link for the before pic

And after the lift and tires

I will post up pictures of the driveline/suspension/or whatever you need if I can. Hopefully I can stay on top of this thread and hope you enjoy
Unread 01-18-2014, 03:10 AM   #3
love2offroad
1994 ZJ 

Just for the fun of it. This was last night after I got off work. Flexing out on a rock

Unread 01-27-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
love2offroad
1994 ZJ 

In updated news. I filed my taxes and looking at a decent chunk of money coming back. I'm looking at getting a set of rock sliders whether I buy them online or have somebody local fab them up for me. I'm also debating on getting a locker for the front d30. It would be a powertrax auto locker since they are on sale for $210. Something I could use in my low pinion d30 and move it to a high pinion d30 when I swap it. It's still a DD and we get a lot of snow in the winter here so I'm hesitant. I'll keep you posted.
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
love2offroad
1994 ZJ 

I found a guy with a welder who said he would help me make some sliders. He owned a ZJ a couple years ago and built some for his. He said a Saturday would be best for him, but i've been working most Saturdays lately. I'll probably request a day off soon and get these installed. I'll post pic's up when they are on. I also requested April 16th-20th for the Easter Jeep Safari. I personally have never been, but i have my own jeep now and I intend to have a blast. So if you are going hit me up. I'd love to have somebody to go with.
Unread 02-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
love2offroad
1994 ZJ 

Cost of steel is pretty high so buying would be only slightly more costly than building them. Plus I like the look of these sliders
http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JGC/ZJ-SL3.html
With the "TAXSALE" coupon they were 20 bucks cheaper. Not much but hey it helps. And you get a free shirt if anyone cares. Got me a set on it's way!
I also bought the powertrax
Unread 08-21-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
love2offroad
1994 ZJ 

It's been a while since I have posted. It's not even much of a thread anymore. The locker is working great. Rock sliders are painted and ready to go on but I've been too lazy. Since I last posted I went to moab. I didn't have any issues except the transfer case linkage is garbage and I had to shift from under the jeep. I just replaced it with Novak conversions linkage. I replaced the factory rear sway bar links with Chevy ones which are longer. Every item on my cooling system is new. I forgot to update the thread until tonight and I'm tired.
Unread 08-21-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
love2offroad
1994 ZJ 

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.