Sloth, the 87 XJ Waggy. Hey You Guys!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Sloth, the 87 XJ Waggy. Hey You Guys!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.comTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 03-16-2015, 03:27 AM   #1
thelma
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Sloth, the 87 XJ Waggy. Hey You Guys!!

Hey guys in fresh meat on here! Im from West ky near LBL, spend alot of time at Hillmans ferry and around the lake. Ive had a few xjs in the past and sold them, had a 2 door w/ 3" lift, 33's winch ect but sold it in less than 24hrs, the other was a POS and had nothing but over heating problems so i traded it off, and one i paid for and never saw it again. so ive never toyed around with them until now!

Now to what also really doesnt matter. After Jeep fever from my buddys yj and trail ride last yr ive wanted one but im SUPER cheap.after having some "allowed" play money i scored my self a lovely 87 Waggy with 208xxx on the clock in Ehh shape. Less than par, but for $700 bucks i was okay with that. I drove it home about 1.5 hrs on back roads and it did okay. Ad said it has a death wobble but ive yet to find it. drove decent with exception of the body roll from no sway bar and worn shocks prob, darts back and forth som on the front but im figuring some parts from rock auto (ball joints and tie rods might fix that. but mechanically it seems sound, 4wd worked good, shifts good. Still not sure if i like the Wagoneer front end but i doubt i swap it. It doesnt have a headliner, and it needs a detail, and its rusty, and the back bumpers about to fall off, and it leaks a little oil, and the blower motor doesnt kick on, and the brakes need replaced, and it has a little shake, the list could stand to be a little longer but ill stop.

Plans: Fix necessities. Shoot it with some Rustoleum gray, cut and fold rear fenders, lower quarter panel and cut the front. Build a LCoG wide, hoping 35's, DD that will own up to its looks!

for the front Ive scored (so i hope) some used RE 4.5 ". guys going bigger and priced the coils to me for $60 bucks! i told him id take em when they come off. Can i run stock Control Arms for the time being with these springs?
The rear im planning on building an s!0 bastard pack. The same guy also has some NIB RE greasable shackles for $60 but im not sure if i will get them or if i need them?
Prob go with Rough Country shocks
I got a buddy that built my traction bars for my old 3/4 ton diesel, planning on getting him the help build me some bumpers for it. He did his duramax after a fender bender with a school bus and it turned out pretty good so i think a winch bumper is doable.

This will be slow rolling but it will help me keep track of everything and gain some valuable insight as i go thru this. id like to at least have a lift and tires on it by mid summer. Stay tuned!

Last edited by thelma; 03-16-2015 at 03:37 AM..
thelma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 03:31 AM   #2
thelma
1987 XJ Cherokee 

And as far as the name for the jeep I went with Sloth. For some reason when I was thinking of a name Sloth, from the Goonies, just seemed to pop out and stick. I can see it now, barreling thru the trails with me yelling "HEEY YOU GIUUUYS!"
1426498130924.jpg

1426498144958.jpg

Unread 03-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

That's a good looking waggy.
Welcome to the forum.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
thelma
1987 XJ Cherokee 

its not too shabby, im ready to wash it and see if i cant get it semi clean so I can get thru the dirt and see what all i have!
Unread 03-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #5
thelma
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So I gave it a quick bath today. It's a shame how much rust this thing has. I'm kinda on the fence about keeping it or selling but and getting one a little straighter. But I'll probably wind up keeping it. It just need a ton of patch work. I'm planning on ripping out the carpet and starting to patch it all up.
Unread 03-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #6
thelma
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Although I washed it I had to take it to the back field for a test run. I just knew I would get stuck but it didn't!
The upper mount for the rear seat in the passenger side is rusted completely out.
1426641443114.jpg   1426641457244.jpg   1426641469120.jpg   1426641488153.jpg   1426641501956.jpg  

1426641529883.jpg   1426641548591.jpg   1426641564470.jpg   1426641575799.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.