Sloooooow Blue YJ build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Sloooooow Blue YJ build

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #61
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Builds finally coming together, i spent my last two weekends tearing out the old d30 and putting most of the new one in. Went to the jeep rally last saturday got to meet Ian from Xtreme 4x4 and a few GroundPounder Fab Quick release fire extinguisher mounts. happy i won the mounts, i never win anything and with all of the jeep fires ive seen recently they will be on very shortly. Ive also reamed out the knuckles, jb4x4 bracket and pitman arm to accept some GM 1 ton TRE's for my crossover steering setup. While the front axle was out i took some time and sanded some surface rust off the frame and painted some of it with some black engine enamel that i had. Tomorrow of the next day ill put my knuckles and jb4x4 bracket on so i can measure for my steering setup.

Axle out

In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
04WJny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #62
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good so far. nice job
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #63
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Pics with the D30 in

d30 painted with some chassissaver, BTF DIY Diff cover painted in Hammered Silver; and some stock leafs that I tore apart, sandblasted and repainted

up next is mocking up steering then fully welding the jb4x4 bracket to the knuckle
In the process of putting in an 8.8, d30, 4.10's, SOA, and a homemade belly up skid
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sloooooow-blue-yj-build-1234350"]My YJ Build[/URL][/CENTER]
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #64
evilpersona
2004 LJ Wrangler 

man you move really slow.lol looking good
evilpersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #65
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got some progress done! Within the last few days ive reamed my knuckles, pitman arm, and jb4x4 bracket to fit GM 1 Ton TRE's along with cutting, welding and painting my crossover steering. Happy to say that everything coming together nicely

Tie Rod

Compressed the springs by lifting the axle with the jack to fit the tie rod when it is at a normal stance. Im happy that angle is nearly parallel to the ground

Tie Rod installed, now i just have to wait for my other TRE's so i can install the tie rod.

At Full Lock my Tie Rod is about 1/4" away from the Diff Cover
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #66
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Figured its really the last nice weekend to paint untill the spring so took a break from my axle swap and decided to use monstaliner in my interior. I picked up some meduim quartz gray a few weeks ago at magnet paints along with some chassisaver that was used on my front axle. I really couldn't be any happier how it turned out. I initially chose monstaliner because of their color selections and because I liked the texture.

If anyone wants any specific pictures feel free to ask
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #67
evilpersona
2004 LJ Wrangler 

dude hurry up. you only got two more weeks till rausch. and it better be ready
evilpersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #68
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Few pics of the YJ:

Another shot of the monstaliner

Front axle installed, just need to put in the rear, cv shaft, sye and belly up

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #69
RustyYJ87
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 91 yj I was thinking about going with the 4 in rc lift. do you like it? how does it preform on the trails? did you find a good deal on it?
RustyYJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #70
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyYJ87 View Post
I have a 91 yj I was thinking about going with the 4 in rc lift. do you like it? how does it preform on the trails? did you find a good deal on it?
Ive had no unusual problems with my rough country lift besides some sagging which was to be expected. I've had it for about two years and initially purchased it because they offer great deals in the month of december, along with the lifetime warranty on spring (because they are known to sag); I believe I purchased mine somewhere between $400 and $450 right from the rough country website. Yea it sags after a few months, and yea it rides pretty rough but it got me on the trail but it got me addicted to wheeling and motivated me to build my jeep bigger and better. I've had no problems running it at rausch creek running anything from greens to a few blacks/reds.

I'm assuming this is your first lift right?
You should really look into what tire size you wanna run and how much you want to spend. Remember you pay for what you get. Can't speak from experience but rubicon express makes a really nice 4" maybe 4.5" kit. If I wasn't going spring over I would have done one. It seems that a lot of people are happy with it.

To summarize everything ill get to the point. I've been happy with my rough country lift, it was an easy install as are any other of the competitor kits you will find. Price was great, shocks and springs were not so great, it flexed alright. Don't expect it to outperform other kits like rubicon express, bds, or ome. I'm only one person and this is my opinion, do a lot of research before you buy anything, and definitely see what others have to say before making a decision.

Good luck and welcome to jeepforum!
If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #71
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any progress?
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #72
greenyj95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great yj
greenyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #73
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry guys, been slacking on my jeep ever since the weather got colder. Im getting some progress done, just not as fast as i would like.

As of now, the 8.8 is mocked up and the driveshaft came in from tom woods. I wanted to wait for my DS to come in so i can measure my pinion angle and DS angle accurately, and to make sure i wouldnt have any binding issues. its been getting a little warmer so i expect to have it done pretty soon. I still have to build the tranny crossmember, and antiwrap bar, as well as welding the axle.

Folded the tabs out holding the leaf springs, drilled holes and threw some bolts and crush sleeves on them to make it easier to change if i break a leaf on the trail.
It should also help my flex a little because there would be less restriction on the leaf when it is forced downward
Unread 06-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #74
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Few Months ago i picked up the Kit from Ruffstuff as well as 36" of 1.5"x 0.250" DOM Tubing to make my crossmember for my tummy tuck. I built a bracket out of some 1/4" steel and countersunk the bolt holes so i can put some flat head hex bolts in there to save as much space as i could. The following Pic shows the crossmember tacked in place so would determine where i would bend the ends to fit around the cat and driveshaft. The tranny jack helped alot, it allowed me to adjust the angle of my driveline to make sure my driveshaft was at a safe angle with the output of the transfer case and the pinion on the axle.
Unread 06-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #75
04WJny
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Took a few more pics after i bent the tubing.

Have some bolts to hold it in place, but ill replace those with some hex flatheads for Max clearance from the skid im going to build

About 1/4" to 3/16" clearance from the front drive shaft at max droop, looks like i wont have to notch anything.

I guess my next thing to do is weld up my brackets to the frame. pics to follow...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.