Sleeper Built Stocker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Sleeper Built Stocker

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sleeper Built Stocker

I’ve always regretted never making a build thread for my 2001 TJ. I will attempt to summarize the build to this point with lots of photos, and move forward from here. I'm only documenting the major things I have done in the summary. If you have any questions on any mods not mentioned please ask. This thing will never be done, I always find something else to modify, subtle things to make it more and more capable. I love working on it as much as I enjoy wheeling it. Any and all input is welcome, thanks for looking!

It is my Daily Driver, which I purchased in late ’06, in almost stock form. I knew nothing about Jeeps, and thought a 2” BB with 32’s would be enough. After wheeling some tough trails, I soon realized I needed to get bigger.

The picture from the internet ad which sold me on it. 2006

The day I bought it.

A bit of wheeling

Summer ’08 - I installed a cheap lift, 35’s, gears, and a rear locker. I also put the AEV highline kit on it. Nothing special with this build, just your standard bolt on stuff.

I wheeled it like this for 2 years, added a TeraLow, High steer, and some armor etc... After many trips to Moab, a ton of research, and some trial and error, I decided it was time to do it right!

The New Goals:
- A clean looking Jeep
- Keep the body “looking” somewhat stock.
- An extremely capable rig offroad.
- A road worthy vehicle.
- A custom rig, minimal “bolt-on” stuff.

hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Summer ’10 - It was time for new axles, and suspension. I taught myself to weld and borrowed a friend’s garage.

I picked up a Kingpin D44/60 Hybrid for the front. 35 spline, ARB with 5:13’s and Warn Hubs.

Set it up for the TJ

Rear axle is a 35 spline, semi-float D60 with an ARB and 5:13’s

I installed a Clayton LA , and used their 5” stretch kit.

Steering was my biggest hurdle on this build. I needed a flat pitman to get the correct angles, so I went with a Waggy arm. Unfortunately the arm now hit the lower radiator hose, so I had to raise the radiator. Took a while, but I finally got it figured out.

I used the GenRight Comp gas tank, and threw some 37’s on it. Finally I had the rig I had wanted for a long time!

I’m not sure if it was coincidence, but shortly after the build, I shredded the pilot bearing in the T-case. This happened in Moab, 240 miles from home. I wasn’t able to get a new bearing, so I tore the case apart at the campsite, removed the bearing, and drove home without any problems.

I replaced the mainshaft and the pilot.

Fall ’10 - The added stress from the bigger tires tore my steering box off the frame. A bit of welding from a buddy’s on-board welder, and some help from the winch, I was able to finish the trail. Time for a steering box brace.

A few months of wheeling, and I decided I wanted a bit more clearance under that D60. On went the 40’s.

Unread 11-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Time for a better departure in the rear. I chopped a few inches off the frame, and removed the stock cross member. I welded in a custom bumper as a new cross-member.

Summer ’11 - After trashing a tire, and having to let the jeep sit (no spare), I decided it was time to figure out how to carry a 40” spare in/on a TJ. I wasn’t a fan of this!

I didn’t like the idea of the traditional swing-out, for a tire that big. Plus I don’t have a bumper to mount it to. I figured the best option would be a drop down style. In keeping with the “stocker” theme, I built a low profile carrier.

Fall ’11 – Broken pitman arm. Waggy arm didn’t cut it. I figured it would be better to reinforce it, than to buy a new one and break the new one.

A/C and a York compressor coming in the future, so I had to ditch the stock airbox to make room. I decided to go with the Windstar box and run it into the cowl. Here's a link.

Current
Nov ’11 - I started my project of lowering my winch between the framerails and sucking it through the grill a bit. I'm also mounting the winch vertically (horizontal plane). This will put less stress on the mounting bolts, hide the winch some, and also allow for more airflow. The final length of the bumper will be approximately 2" shorter, and the top of the winch will sit about 5" lower on the grill.

Unread 11-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
LITJGuy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

wow very nice build...love the jeep
Unread 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I dig the rig...looking forward to seeing more of it!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Before & after. You can see how much lower the winch is now. Plus...I have a safe place for that pesky front license plate. It might actually last more than a few years now.

Before

After

Real Jeeps are built, not "bolt-on"!
Unread 11-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITJGuy View Post
wow very nice build...love the jeep
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
I dig the rig...looking forward to seeing more of it!
Thanks Kyle! Living so close, hopefully it will be in person. I missed out on your Holy Cross run. Next time!

Unread 11-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Couple questions about the axles. What did they come out of? Did you buy them already set up? Looks like they've been narrowed to somewhat stock TJ width.
Unread 11-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Loving the custom work. Show us more.
Unread 11-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
ryan22ddd
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thumbs up!
ryan22ddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovail View Post
Thanks Kyle! Living so close, hopefully it will be in person. I missed out on your Holy Cross run. Next time!
Sounds good to me...it's always fun meeting other forum members and seeing their rigs.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #12
redlined_b16a
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice work,looking foward to seeing the york set up
redlined_b16a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
Couple questions about the axles. What did they come out of? Did you buy them already set up? Looks like they've been narrowed to somewhat stock TJ width.
I picked both up with the internals set up already. I bought them separately, from 2 different sellers. All I had to do was Weld the brackets on and bolt them in.

The rear axle is a Dynatrac Trail Series. 67" WMS to WMS...IIRC. I'd like to upgrade to a FF at some point.

The front is a custom built axle. A 44 center section, 60 everything else. It was in a leaf sprung rig before I picked it up. 65" WMS - WMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined_b16a View Post
Very nice work,looking foward to seeing the york set up
Thanks...me too!

Unread 11-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #14
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does anybody have any clever ideas for sway bar brackets? There is no room between the steering arm and the coil at full turn. I've tried the Teraflex bracket, but it will not work.

I've been sway barless for 2 years, but I think it would do better on and off road with one.

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #15
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

you may need to mount them in board a little off the spring plate.

have you looked into JCR's brackets

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...ry_Code=XJMISC
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.