skyj eccentric build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > skyj eccentric build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #106
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
I just noticed our two threads were in the newsletter. I guess some people have found them interesting or we just spam a lot with updates...
huh thats interesting, a link to so called newsletter?? probably have to be a payin member. I really need to buy me a membership so I can be a kool kid with a avatar

Unread 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #107
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nope I'm not a paying member any more. It was in the newsletter they send all accounts. Not sure why it had our build threads -- might be due to activity.

(I actually couldn't see a reason to donate money any more. As a software engineer who builds large scale stuff I know that you can run a site like this pretty cheap. If done well - JeepForum could be very profitable for free. What they gave me for my one year as a member wasn't worth it. Google search was better, the support wiki was lacking and having a slogan was overall lame.)

Enough being negative - it's still cool that our threads made the newsletter.

sky_j_sooner_matt.png
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #108
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well I started fabin the mounts for the support to the frame. I'm not too sure I'm happy with how its coming out. I kind of rushed the design and not to sure I like it. I think I will work some more on it and come with up with something. I'm always open to suggestions.

Attachment 581585
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #109
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job on the build. I wheeled those same trails in Moab last year also. Great place. If you go again shout out. I have a group of guys from here that know the area well and are always up for a run. BTW, I like the no rake.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #110
uaejeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
In January of 2011 I finally had scrounged up enough money to buy a decent welder. I bought a Lincoln 180 mig, its been a great welder and can lay a nice bead. In Febuary I had finally scratched the itch to install the 8.8 long enough and had saved enough coin to do so. We Left on vacation for Presidents day weekend and I swung by the shop of the guy going to install my gears for me in the 8.8. I had completly tore down the axle and had it all ready for him to setup my gears. As we were unloading the 8.8 Ryan just mentioned he happened to have a detroit locker for the 8.8 and for a extra $300 bones he could install it while he was doing the setup. We shook hands on the deal and I headed off to Island Park and a wonderful weekend in the snow with my wife and kids.
Shortly after we got back I set out on removing the old dana turdy-five.

I removed my gas tank also in preperation for doing the "dimple mod"
A few days later and I got a call that my 8.8 was done

I didnt waste anytime getting it slung under the jeep.

Setting Pinion angle

welding perches on

I even stenciled the Punisher on the diff cover.

After all the $$$ I had spent in the last two months and the extra cash I shelled out for the Detroit my front axle regear was gonna have to wait.
Unorthodox front axle swap coming next............
That rear end cover looks great? mine is has oil and terrible paint and the bolts look like they are leaking. What did you do to get yours so nice? Is is new or did you paint it?
uaejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #111
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaejeeper View Post
That rear end cover looks great? mine is has oil and terrible paint and the bolts look like they are leaking. What did you do to get yours so nice? Is is new or did you paint it?
Thanks! It's the stock tin foil cover I stripped the paint off with a wire wheel attached to my drill. Then used hammered silver paint, put about 6 coats on. For leak prevention I use Right stuff gasket maker comes in a caulk tube. You can pick it up at any auto parts stores. It's not cheap but you will never have a leak.
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #112
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I worked on the rad support some more last night. This is what I came up with. I used some tube I had laying around and some 1/8". I sure wish I had a plasma table it would have came out nicer.

Attachment 582922

Attachment 582921
Unread 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #113
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Made some more progress on it this morning. I'm home with my sick son. While he is taking a nap I plugged in the baby monitor and went to work. Rad mount is tacked in now just working on mounting the grill. I had to notch and weld some more on the support since its right in the way of the headlights bucket. One step forward two steps back. lol
It's a lot of work to make this work but worth it in my opinion. Besides I like to fab. It probably would of been easier to find another CJ7 grill but I love the nostalgia of the m38. No difference in shape but the turn signal lights are smaller and I like that I have something from most every era on my jeep from M38a1,CJ,YJ,TJ,FJ,and ZJ and various Fords and Chevy's. I plan to source parts from a jk next. lol
Attachment 583164
Unread 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #114
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj
Made some more progress on it this morning. I'm home with my sick son. While he is taking a nap I plugged in the baby monitor and went to work. Rad mount is tacked in now just working on mounting the grill. I had to notch and weld some more on the support since its right in the way of the headlights bucket. One step forward two steps back. lol
It's a lot of work to make this work but worth it in my opinion. Besides I like to fab. It probably would of been easier to find another CJ7 grill but I love the nostalgia of the m38. No difference in shape but the turn signal lights are smaller and I like that I have something from most every era on my jeep from M38a1,CJ,YJ,TJ,FJ,and ZJ and various Fords and Chevy's. I plan to source parts from a jk next. lol
Looking good man!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #115
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I worked on the rad support some more last night. This is what I came up with. I used some tube I had laying around and some 1/8". I sure wish I had a plasma table it would have came out nicer.
These types of things are honestly my favorite part of jeeping. I love making parts better than jeeping itself. Good job on this. I like it.
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #116
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post

These types of things are honestly my favorite part of jeeping. I love making parts better than jeeping itself. Good job on this. I like it.
Yeah I Love making home made one of kind parts , but I prefer wheeling more. I've been garage wheeling way too long. I'm trying not to rush to get it done just so I can drive it. My garage is an absolute mess right now.
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #117
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok huge progress this morning!! I even had a little helper this boy loves being out in the shop just as much as his daddy to bad he had to go in with mommy when I started welding.

I cut out all these brackets with my trusty 4.5" angle grinder and cutting wheel. I used a scrap sheet of 1/8" I have had laying around from other projects. I made these upper mount strut supports for the top of the radiator mount, and drilled some holes for a little affect.

Pulled it again to weld it all up. I had to make that notch in it for the headlight bucket to fit.

Then primed and painted it.

Then I got to making the grill body mount. The mounting point on the M38A1 grill is 2" inches farther back and about 1.5" inches up so I came up with this mount.

Im kind of frustrated cause my camera erased the side profile shot of it before I painted it but here is a shot of it with a fresh coat of paint.

Today was a pretty productive day just got to wait for all the paint to dry and install the oil pump prime the system and hopefully it will start. then I can install headlights and figure out turn signals
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #118
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Stayed up late last night to assemble the front clip to see how everything lines up.
I am so excited to get this thing running
forumrunner_20130313_082742.jpg
All sitting level

forumrunner_20130313_082624.jpg

forumrunner_20130313_083208.jpg

Now to just pull the grill prime and paint it. I have a little body work to do on the hood before I paint it. I really like the nostalgia of the hood with the renegade on the side and the blue pin stripping on the top. I wish I could keep it with the cracked sticker and everything, but it needs paint. Probably wait until summer before I pull the hood and paint it.
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #119
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just for fun...
Before......

After

Now I cant stop thinking about sinking my winch down into the frame rails and building me a lopro winch plate.
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #120
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Now I cant stop thinking about sinking my winch down into the frame rails and building me a lopro winch plate.
Now for some completely retarded commentary...why not integrate a winch plate, IN PLACE OF, that cross member. As in, make it so that your extra beefy winch plate serves as the round cross member on the front of your frame?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.