skyj eccentric build - Page 52 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > skyj eccentric build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #766
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Where are your motor mounts breaking? I can't see it in your picture. I'm curious about this as I'll have to do it myself someday.
I've been trying to upload more pics tonight but photobucket hates me so I can't show you a closer pic but the rubber has separated from the cicular mount holding it all in place so now its just resting on the mount.

Also tonight I pulled my all of my spark plugs to see if any are fouled and 5 of them look great but 3 of them look brand new still almost like they've never fired. I either got bad injectors or its plugged cause those cylinders are running lean. Which doesn't make sense for the raw fuel smell coming out of the tailpipe. But definitely the loss in power I'm gonna have to research this a bit
So until I get the new mounts the jeep is parked dont want to risk sending my fan through the fancy radiator. Cant upload pics or I would show y'all what I'm talking about.

Unread 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #767
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

just placed an order for some prothane motor mounts and trans mount should be here friday.
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #768
kioti
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just read all 52 pages of this thread. skyj thank you for starting this. Its exactly what I've been looking for. I'm getting ready to do the same swap. Got a complete Grand Cherokee with 5.2 and auto trans as a donor. Putting them in a 89 YJ. Plan on keeping the auto and a dana 300 behind it. My biggest concern is the wiring. The harness that goes in to the firewall on the passenger side behind the glove box. What wires are needed? Can you give a rough idea what 5 wires are needed? I have access to All data and Mitchell ondemand and have the wiring diagrams for both the ZJ and the YJ. Just not sure where to start with the wiring.

Last edited by kioti; 04-24-2014 at 06:02 AM..
kioti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #769
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kioti View Post
Just read all 52 pages of this thread. skyj thank you for starting this. Its exactly what I've been looking for. I'm getting ready to do the same swap. Got a complete Grand Cherokee with 5.2 and auto trans as a donor. Putting them in a 89 YJ. Plan on keeping the auto and a dana 300 behind it. My biggest concern is the wiring. The harness that goes in to the firewall on the passenger side behind the glove box. What wires are needed? Can you give a rough idea what 5 wires are needed? I have access to All data and Mitchell ondemand and have the wiring diagrams for both the ZJ and the YJ. Just not sure where to start with the wiring.
Well thank you very much!. It's good to start with a complete vehicle unlike I did I started with a motor and hacked up wire harness. Most of my time was spent trying to figure out what I could use from the wire harness turns out I didn't have the whole thing since I needed the pdc I had to figure out what I did need.
Once you break down and figure out what you need it's really simple to wire it up like I said it really does only take about 5 wires to get it to run that mess of wires going into the firewall through the bulkhead to the fuse panel on the passenger side of the Jeep those are the wires that you're really going to need to figure out which go where and how to hook them into your Jeep harness once you figure that out its easy peasy.
Really 5 wires to run; starter, Run, alternator, power to PDC and accesories. Now you're going to need an aftermarket tach because your 89 will not speak the lingo that the cherokee computer does. I'm sure I'm missing a few things but that's the gist of it. I really had plans to do a whole write up on how to wire it up because most people are wiring up newer jeeps that already have a computer so it's a little easier than us folks that had the carburetor. I kinda lost motivation after the whole fiasco with the CPS I just need to get my butt back in gear and sit down and just look at my wiring diagrams in my notes. I started by wiring up the charging system and the starter and then I workex my way around. It really doesn't matter where you start first cause you're going to end up in the same place.
All data is a very good source for the wire diagrams but also I joined jeepslimited.com you have to sign up and become a member and once you do that you can go into their wire diagrams and download entire PDF file of the Jeep Grand Cherokee service manuals that is what I used to wire my whole Jeep I printed every single page from that PDF file I took a flash drive down to the local print store and printed it all off and put it in a nice three ring binder and I made a ton of notes on it, it is what saved my bacon.
If you need help don't be afraid to send me a PM. Sorry for the long winded post I typed all this on my phone so grammatical errors and run on sentences are strong with this one
Unread 04-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #770
kioti
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not long winded at all its info I need. Thanks for the info. I have started the 3 ring binder idea with the wiring diagrams from both the YJ and ZJ. I work for a extended warranty company and do claims every day and have Mitchell and Alldata programs same as any dealer so it helps. I used to be a ASE tech and understand basic wiring diagrams but absoutly HATE wiring. LOL Having this info really helps a guy determine a place to start THANK YOU Again.
Going to start the tear down on the ZJ this weekend. Tell me if this is the correct plan. I should be able to unplug the harness at the the fuseblock in the glove box and useing the wireing diagrams splice the needed wires, ie: starter, Run, alternator, power to PDC and accesories into to the YJ harness? Then mount the PDC and harness from the ZJ in the engine bay and hook up all connections.
Unread 04-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #771
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not long winded at all its info I need. Thanks for the info. I have started the 3 ring binder idea with the wiring diagrams from both the YJ and ZJ. I work for a extended warranty company and do claims every day and have Mitchell and Alldata programs same as any dealer so it helps. I used to be a ASE tech and understand basic wiring diagrams but absoutly HATE wiring. LOL Having this info really helps a guy determine a place to start THANK YOU Again.
Going to start the tear down on the ZJ this weekend. Tell me if this is the correct plan. I should be able to unplug the harness at the the fuseblock in the glove box and useing the wireing diagrams splice the needed wires, ie: starter, Run, alternator, power to PDC and accesories into to the YJ harness? Then mount the PDC and harness from the ZJ in the engine bay and hook up all connections.
Haha! I was an ASE cert GM mech right out of high school and realized I hated electronics and working on other peoples cars so I started building houses for a living now I do property maintenance. Never really liked electrical work but I will do it to save a few bucks.
You are correct on the wire harness out of the ZJ fuse panel under the glove box those are the wires you splice into your yj harness and then there are like five wires or more going into the firewall at the back of the motor above the dist. Those are your gauges. Use your diagrams to figure out what you need to splice and what you need to get rid of (which is a lot) your on the right track if you are that far along. Then mount the pdc and as long as its got power and you spliced right it should fire.
Its really not all that hard I made it harder than it needed to be. Then again my existing yj harness had been hacked up and stripped of all unnecessary wires and only had what was needed to run so it took some trial and error to figure out what was what. Good luck!!
Unread 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #772
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, hey Chris. You found a good build and guy to bother with skyj here
Unread 04-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #773
kioti
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Haha! I was an ASE cert GM mech right out of high school and realized I hated electronics and working on other peoples cars so I started building houses for a living now I do property maintenance.

I did the same exact thing, tech then construction and now sit in a office. I still turn wrenches on the side doing suspension lifts, bumpers and such for fellow off roaders and snowmobiles in the winter. Some days when I'm stuck in the office I really think about going back to something like property maintenance.

I will have to start a build thread soon to help out the next guy like you've helped me. thanks again.

Goob i wondered if you would see this LOL
Unread 04-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #774
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Wow, hey Chris. You found a good build and guy to bother with skyj here
Thanks Goob!! Your going to have to throw up some wheeling pics from this weekend so I can live vicariously through those who actually get wheel there rigs haha lol This thread is about to become just a wheeling thread. Someday!
Unread 04-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #775
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

These things are beef!!

And are here is a better pic for you Sooner of my torn rubber mounts.
Unread 04-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #776
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Man!! I'm having a hard time finding time to get these mounts in we've had three showings of our house this weekend. Everytime I start to tear into it I get another call and I have to clean up my tools and make the garage look like its not used for its intended purpose . I guess I cant complain at least we got interest in our house, but the timing is horrible.
Unread 04-27-2014, 05:31 AM   #777
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. That motor mount is hosed. But that causes lots of play.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #778
kioti
1992 YJ Wrangler 

skyj I can relate. The only thing I've gotten done this weekend is the yj hauled home. To many things on the "honey do list" lol. Where those mounts factory mounts? Wondering if I should change my plan of using stock mounts.
Unread 04-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #779
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
skyj I can relate. The only thing I've gotten done this weekend is the yj hauled home. To many things on the "honey do list" lol. Where those mounts factory mounts? Wondering if I should change my plan of using stock mounts.
Yes the old mounts were the parts store stock replacement el cheapo's. The new poly ones are an insert that will be pressed into the old mounts. I have a feeling I wont need to replace them.
There are a few different mounts for this swap I chose this way (homemade frame mounts) using the stock mounts since I didnt like the price of the Novak mounts. Moparfreak he uses the old style LA mounts because they have a built in limit hook, anyone of them should work. I prefer home brew stuff like mine and moparfreak a lot more satisfaction when it works, it may take some trial and error but its worth it in the end to me.
Unread 04-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #780
kioti
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with building your own. Great sense of accomplishment and you know your jeep better when you've built it yourself. This will be the 6th jeep I've built. With the fuel ejected V8 I think I'll keep this one awhile. LOL. Got the engine out of the Grand Cherokee to day.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.