skyj eccentric build - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > skyj eccentric build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 04-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #721
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh god I've been so buried in my own project I haven't kept up on yours! DAMN!!!!!
I'm so, so, so, so, so glad you figured it out. The JF community is amazing and even though it took some time, it all came together for you.

Watching that video gave me chills! I can't wait to drive mine now. I was hoping to have it firing this weekend, but I've been sicker than a dog the past two days and haven't got S**t done. :/

Anyway, I'm stoked out of my mind for you bro. Congrats on the hard fought win!

Cheers
Thanks Sparrows!! yes the JF community is def a great group of guys especially us /f12ers
I cant wait to see the video of your first start up too!!I will try to get a vid up of me roasting my swampers (hopefully dont break anything) I dont want to do it with my BFG's they are my street queen tires I dont care about the swampers

I was wondering why you had'nt updated your build for two days I hope the bug passes quick for you and fam. I was sick as Hell while I was working on my problem and now anytime I smell gas I want to puck!!

Unread 04-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #722
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Thanks Sparrows!! yes the JF community is def a great group of guys especially us /f12ers
I cant wait to see the video of your first start up too!!I will try to get a vid up of me roasting my swampers (hopefully dont break anything) I dont want to do it with my BFG's they are my street queen tires I dont care about the swampers

I was wondering why you had'nt updated your build for two days I hope the bug passes quick for you and fam. I was sick as Hell while I was working on my problem and now anytime I smell gas I want to puck!!
I can't wait to see that video!
Yeah me and my GF and 5 year old daughter have all been down with this crud. I'm working today but it's miserable and slow.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #723
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just sitting here thinking the front looks naked without the winch on.

No more busting my balls to install it

Ahh!! thats much better.

Now the worry of will it block air flow to the v8 and overheat it, never did with the 4.2 we shall see. Been kickin around the idea of building a sunken winch mount between the frame rails and making it more flush with the front and then get a synthetic winch line with an aluminum hawse fair lead and get rid of that huge monstrosity of a steel fairlead.
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #724
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I thought about recessing my winch too. It would be damn tight with the steering box. You should have more room becasue your winch has a smaller footprint.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #725
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
I thought about recessing my winch too. It would be damn tight with the steering box. You should have more room becasue your winch has a smaller footprint.
Oh yea its doable with mine and may still do it yet but that might be a winter project or late summer unless its a necessity to keep the motor cool. I'm so busy right now with selling our house I dont have time for another jeep project.
Unread 04-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #726
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got a buddy taking courses at the college to be a machinists so he is going to make me a hawse fairlead out of some scrap steel they have layin around. Anybody know a good thickness to make one out of steel? Im thinking 3/4 and whatever dimensions I need to fill the space on the front of my bumper then I'm going to order up a good synthetic cable. I just hate the look and bulkiness of the steel roller fairlead.
Unread 04-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #727
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I got a buddy taking courses at the college to be a machinists so he is going to make me a hawse fairlead out of some scrap steel they have layin around. Anybody know a good thickness to make one out of steel? Im thinking 3/4 and whatever dimensions I need to fill the space on the front of my bumper then I'm going to order up a good synthetic cable. I just hate the look and bulkiness of the steel roller fairlead.
I think you'd want Alum cause it'd be softer on the synthetic... 3/4 sounds right.
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #728
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

although, 1.5" might be better.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/...fairlead-1.htm
#theneverendingaxe
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #729
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got my shroud back on

And on another note my buddy should have my fairlead done by end of week. He found some scrap aluminum 3/5" thick at the college his instructor told him he could have.He is getting a grade for making one for himself and I.

I gave him some dimensions and if there if enough material he is going to make one like this.
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #730
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got my shroud back on

And on another note my buddy should have my fairlead done by end of week. He found some scrap aluminum 3/5" thick at the college his instructor told him he could have.He is getting a grade for making one for himself and I.

I gave him some dimensions and if there if enough material he is going to make one like this.
#theneverendingaxe
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #731
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure that he fillets (applies a radius to) the inside of the rope slot just like the outside. It's actually more important to avoid the harsh edge on the inside because the rope will always be riding against it.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #732
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome man. I still have a winch sitting in the garage I need to stick on before I move. Gotta find a winch plate though.
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #733
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Make sure that he fillets (applies a radius to) the inside of the rope slot just like the outside. It's actually more important to avoid the harsh edge on the inside because the rope will always be riding against it.
Yaea he is putfing a radius on it just for that. He is doing some research also into it he has to as part of his grade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Awesome man. I still have a winch sitting in the garage I need to stick on before I move. Gotta find a winch plate though.
Get that sucka on there!!
Unread 04-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #734
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Made my jeep my DD told the boss I was leaving the work truck home today. I still just can't get over how fun this is to drive.

The shroud helped out immensely with keeping this thing cool I don't think I will have to worry about my winch blocking air flow. With all the stop and go traffic today it never got above 210.

And if my fuel gauge reads right between1/2- 3/4 full I've gone about 150 miles on 8 gallons of gas. 16-20 mpg not too shabby!! Considering the way I've been driving it.
Unread 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #735
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

if your gas gauge is like mine, the 1/2 mark means you have 1/4 tank left! isnt every car like that though? I cant imagine how bad it will get when I go out there and do the 20 gallon mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.