skyj eccentric build - Page 47 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > skyj eccentric build

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 03-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #691
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

SkyJ, you said you can let it sit and idle all the way up to operating temp right? Then you give it throttle and it dies? How long has it sat and idled before?

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #692
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
SkyJ, you said you can let it sit and idle all the way up to operating temp right? Then you give it throttle and it dies? How long has it sat and idled before?
Yes it will idle all the way up to operating temp then it will die with throttle. It has idled for 45 min or so before but then it gets awfully hot and needs some air flow so I have to shut it down.
Unread 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #693
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj
That should help alot the problem I had was the lowest I could mount my pump was about mid tank so it was working hard to pull fuel out I think you will be fine. If not carter makes a pretty cheap low pressure primer pump you can use to pull fuel from the tank to your E2000 then it will free flow. I would mount your pump below the tank as close as possible.
Wish I would've seen this earlier. My Howell pump is mounted outside the tank up almost touching the tub and I don't have a problem. Thinking I could've saved you some time and money.

I also wish I had something to offer in regards to your fuel problem. Could the timing be off? Vacuum leak? Have you tested the injectors(I think so) to see if they are working right? Clogged return line? <- all sad attempts at helping. Best of luck!
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #694
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post

Wish I would've seen this earlier. My Howell pump is mounted outside the tank up almost touching the tub and I don't have a problem. Thinking I could've saved you some time and money.

I also wish I had something to offer in regards to your fuel problem. Could the timing be off? Vacuum leak? Have you tested the injectors(I think so) to see if they are working right? Clogged return line? <- all sad attempts at helping. Best of luck!
Ya know I'm not actually mad about the pump I'm glad I now have an In tank pump. And regards to your suggestion I have tried all of them. The only thing I haven't done is physically taken the injectors off the motor, but I know they dont leak cause my system holds psi. I could see one or two or even three being bad, but they wouldn't cause a complete shutdown of the motor. Its either air locked vapor locked whatever you want to call it..
Thanks for your suggestions no matter how miniscule you think they are its helpful to know so many are helping out.
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #695
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

And it's not faulting out after it expects that the 02 sensors should have warmed up but they weren't actually hooked up correctly? (Grasping at straws I know. I think it runs closed loop until the cat and other stuff should be warm then it changes...I think)
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #696
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah I've got good spark. Its like a switch is flipped shutting down fuel cause I can spray starting fluid down the throttle body and it will fire for a second. I think it may be the pcm telling the injectors not to fire I wonder if there is a capacitor that handles the injectors and its heating up and not working cause if I let it sit for an hour or so it will fire right up and run around the block again. I wish I could find a local with a pcm they would let me try just to see but all junk yards around me are out and the closest one I found is 3 hrs away.
If you think it's the injectors not firing they make an injector tester light that plugs into the wire harness plug for the injector and illuminates if it has power going to it. Really easy to use and doesn't take long to pull the plug off and test.
Unread 03-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #697
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
And it's not faulting out after it expects that the 02 sensors should have warmed up but they weren't actually hooked up correctly? (Grasping at straws I know. I think it runs closed loop until the cat and other stuff should be warm then it changes...I think)
No it will do it in open loop too. Its obd1 so only one o2. I've tricked the pcm into thinking its still in open loop and it will still stall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef81 View Post

If you think it's the injectors not firing they make an injector tester light that plugs into the wire harness plug for the injector and illuminates if it has power going to it. Really easy to use and doesn't take long to pull the plug off and test.
Yea I've been thinking of getting a set of test noides I think is what they call them or even a test light will work also.
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #698
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok quick update. I spoke with Que on the phone and my buddy flymt came over and helped me figure this mystery out. We ran some tests and (to make a long story short) we have determined that the problem is indeed the crank postion sensor. Whoda thunk?? Anywho I'm losing spark and fuel at the same time and that can only mean one thing, so I've ordered one it will be here on weds so I have a few days of vacation coming up and will get it installed and hopefully be rid of my problems for good.
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #699
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Ok quick update. I spoke with Que on the phone and my buddy flymt came over and helped me figure this mystery out. We ran some tests and (to make a long story short) we have determined that the problem is indeed the crank postion sensor. Whoda thunk?? Anywho I'm losing spark and fuel at the same time and that can only mean one thing, so I've ordered one it will be here on weds so I have a few days of vacation coming up and will get it installed and hopefully be rid of my problems for good.
I've got my fingers crossed for you!!
I really hope this is it!!
Unread 03-25-2014, 11:40 PM   #700
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got the old cps out and started looking it over and noticed a small crack down the center of it. Grabbed the two ears of the mount and pulled and the damn thing split right down the middle into two separate pieces ahhhh!! I think we found the problem. The new cps will be here tomorrow so its ready for it.
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #701
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm cautiously optimistic.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #702
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hope that does it.
daddyjeep87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #703
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

New manual CPS came in today and....well you'll just have to watch the video.
CLICK ON PIC

put over 50 miles on it without a single hickup.
Unread 03-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #704
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
New manual CPS came in today and....well you'll just have to watch the video. CLICK ON PIC put over 50 miles on it without a single hickup.

Oh hell yeah!
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #705
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

So happy for you man! I'm relieved!

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.