skyj eccentric build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > skyj eccentric build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Since the 8.8 went in I knew I was going to have diff/tank issues I couldn't afford a bling stretch tank so I used a thread on pirate4x4 on how to make my stock tank work. So I got to work.cut out the basic shape into the skid I cut out about 3 to 4 inches then rotated the piece I cut out 180*.

welding in the sides:

welding up the outside:be sure not to have any sharp or abrupt edges so as not to cut or score the tank
Primer:
heating up the tank:This didnt really work too well I made a call to my stepdad and we combined the heat of my propane torch with a wide angle tip and his propane torch to give it a good even heat then after about 45min of careful heating it was definately plyable enough to slide into the skid. This is the most important part it needs to be heated very carefully so as not to burn a hole thru it. this is some really thick stuff so be pateint .
finished product:I had to modify my pickup tube a little to make it work. I removed the screen off the tube and cut the smallest amount I could off, then slightly bent the tube up so it didnt jamb on the bottom of the tank. I have a carb so you guys running fuel injection may have different problems.

Unread 01-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Since the 8.8 went in I knew I was going to have diff/tank issues I couldn't afford a bling stretch tank so I used a thread on pirate4x4 on how to make my stock tank work. So I got to work.
So wheres the pics? I'm doing this mod right now. I dropped my tank yesterday and will hopefully start cutting the skid today.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
So wheres the pics? I'm doing this mod right now. I dropped my tank yesterday and will hopefully start cutting the skid today.
Sorry! just updated it. First upload lost all pics /\ /\ /\ /\
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #19
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice mod on the tank. I saw that in gtxracer's build.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

very nice. Just finished my skid today. Still have to dimple the tank

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Nice mod on the tank. I saw that in gtxracer's build.
Thanks! Yeah I was following his thread over on pirate when I saw it then I finally noticed he had a build over here too when you mentioned the nascar pitman arm.
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
very nice. Just finished my skid today. Still have to dimple the tank
Very nice job. I will be updating with my rear upper shock mount relocation brackets.
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I installed the 8.8 I knew I was going to have to address my shock situation. Since my jeep sits pretty low I wanted my shock mounts up out of the way. I needed new shocks anyway so I made my own axle shock tabs out of some scrap 1/4" steel I had laying around. I made a thread on my M.O.R.E. inspired upper mount relocation brackets but with a twist since I was running waggy springs my shock angle would have been horrible so I made these. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...sions-1345960/

Here they are installed:

and a fun little test drive to try them out:
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
Inch7706
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Subbed. I just started going SOA with an 8.8 swap as well. Lets just say I'm taking notes now.

How necessary is the tank mod? I've got my tank out now and think I might need to add this to my list. Is your fuel gauge still accurate?

'93 OJ YJ. 2.5" RC lift. Currently going SOA with an 8.8 swap.
Inch7706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inch7706 View Post
Subbed. I just started going SOA with an 8.8 swap as well. Lets just say I'm taking notes now.

How necessary is the tank mod? I've got my tank out now and think I might need to add this to my list. Is your fuel gauge still accurate?
Thanks I just checked out your build. I'm not sure on how necessary the tank mod is in your case. If your not stretching your wheelbase you shouldn't need to .Check out 92vegas build he just did it and he is spring over. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...rsion-1341575/
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Since I was broke as a joke after my 8.8 swap. I set out to install a dana 30 with 4.56 gears I picked up from my inlaws neighbor for a song. the only problem is............... Its a LP dana 30 from a ZJ with 4.56 gears. this is where all you purest can go or :gunfight :
Now that we got that off our chests.
Back to the install like I said I picked this beauty and its rear counterpart up for real cheap. with plans to sell them to some unsuspecting guy HA! that never panned out sooo...... The plan was just to temp. install it until I could afford the 4.56's for the HP 30. Ok now the good news this LP dana 30 came drilled for the tie rod flip, is a non cad and has one peice XJ shafts. so I got to work on cutting off the tin foil they call link brackets, and a few minutes later I had this.

then this:

It actually went really easy and was ready to start making spring perches.
well as luck would have it I just happened to have some 2.5x2.5x 1/4 wall square tubing in my scrap pile so I made these:my new garage sale drill press came in real handy for these

then I got to making me some shock mounts out of some more scrap I had:

Now as some would know to put spring perches on the dana 30 you need to have part of the perch offset over the casting of the diff so I made a perch out of 1/4 steel similar to how JB4x4 does their offset perches. Sorry no pics of that.
I slung it under the jeep set caster at around 6* the Pinion angle didn't turn out to bad either . Tacked perches in place and pulled it for final welding.

AH!! back on all fours again.

Dont worry guys I still have my HP dana 30 quietly sitting in the garage waiting for its glory of when it can once again reside under the front of my jeep. besides when I can afford the 4.56 and rebuild I can still use the carrier from the LP so its not all that bad or I can keep building up a waggy dana 44 to throw under there ah!! decisions, decisions.

Next installment Tie rod flip whoes
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #27
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd throw a LP D30 with 4.56's under my jeep if the price was right. Looking good. I think I know how the steering is going to turn out.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #28
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

my tank started leaking after a few years. the heating with a torch made the plastic a bit more brittle. i ignored it and it stopped. make sure there is something insulating the tank from the corners.
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #29
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I'd throw a LP D30 with 4.56's under my jeep if the price was right. Looking good. I think I know how the steering is going to turn out.
Thanks yea I got a lot of flak for putting it in but I don't care its held up to 35's and a trip to moab so I ain't to worried about it. I paid $100 for it and the rear end. It came with pratically new unit bearing to so I got my moneys worth.
Unread 01-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #30
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
my tank started leaking after a few years. the heating with a torch made the plastic a bit more brittle. i ignored it and it stopped. make sure there is something insulating the tank from the corners.
I saw you say that in another post too. I sure hope that doesn't happen to mine. It's been in there for about a year now. I did use a thin rubber mat between it was already in there between the tank and skid plus I flap wheeled the piss out of the skid to make it smooth. In the thread on pirate I haven't heard anyone mention this, not sayin it won't happen. Thanks fratis! I have always liked your advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.