skyj eccentric build - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > skyj eccentric build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Reply
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #271
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Very nice. Good score
Thanks dude I'm stoked! I grew up driving the 6.9 Ford as a kid so I'm used to going slow in a diesel.

__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #272
lar308
Member
 
lar308's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newark, Ohio
Posts: 268
Nice truck, you may want to do some research, I worked for a GMC dealer for 8 years. I fixed alot of injection pumps with a shut off solenoid and a driver module and never took the pump off. The optical sensor on top of the pump does not like off road fuel(the red stuff. The postal service trucks used a meachanical pump rather than a electronic controlled unit. Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #273
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar308 View Post
Nice truck, you may want to do some research, I worked for a GMC dealer for 8 years. I fixed alot of injection pumps with a shut off solenoid and a driver module and never took the pump off. The optical sensor on top of the pump does not like off road fuel(the red stuff. The postal service trucks used a meachanical pump rather than a electronic controlled unit. Ron
Yeah the guy told me the pump was bad so he started to remove it then got sick and couldnt finish it. After some investigating last night I'm finding a bunch of fried wires and the main + bat cable is completely toast as is a few wires under the turbo. This may turn out to be a wire problem instead of a pump problem. Is there anyway I can test the pump without removing it from the truck?
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #274
lar308
Member
 
lar308's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newark, Ohio
Posts: 268
I don't know of anyway to test the pump without w/o taking it to a stanadyne service center. I'd start by fixing the wires then re-evaluate every thing. Then depending on the symptoms, go from there. Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #275
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar308 View Post
I don't know of anyway to test the pump without w/o taking it to a stanadyne service center. I'd start by fixing the wires then re-evaluate every thing. Then depending on the symptoms, go from there. Ron
Yeah that was the plan it just the PO has already removed the intake and all the fuel lines and unbolted the pump so I would have to put it all back together just to see if that is it. I just cant see it running with all those melted wires.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #276
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,817
Went for a fun little trail ride tonight nothing difficult but the view is spectacular!
Tried the new panoramic app on my phone

View of the lake in the background

__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #277
kgb_m3
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 933
Nice shots, what suspension is your buddy running? Looks tall
__________________
89 YJ 4.2L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/kgb-89-yj-storyline-build-thread-1520814/
96 XJ 4.0L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/600-96-xj-budget-daily-overland-build-1855418/
http://www.jeepsunclassified.com
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #278
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3 View Post
Nice shots, what suspension is your buddy running? Looks tall
Stock yj springs spring over on 14 bolt rear dana 44 front with 37's. Hes got all chevy running gear from a Chevy 3/4 ton truck sb 350 sm465 trans 205 transfer.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #279
kgb_m3
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
Stock yj springs spring over on 14 bolt rear dana 44 front with 37's. Hes got all chevy running gear from a Chevy 3/4 ton truck sb 350 sm465 trans 205 transfer.
That rig looks like a beast. Some serious mods right there..
__________________
89 YJ 4.2L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/kgb-89-yj-storyline-build-thread-1520814/
96 XJ 4.0L http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/600-96-xj-budget-daily-overland-build-1855418/
http://www.jeepsunclassified.com
kgb_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #280
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb_m3 View Post

That rig looks like a beast. Some serious mods right there..
Yeah it was hacked together when he got it, over the last six months he has put a lot of work into it and its nice to see all his work pay off. Still a few more fixs under his sleeve, but at least he can drive it down the road without killing a bus full of puppys.
On a side note im still fine tuning my timing to get rid of the knock.... its not going so well if I set it at 8btdc it runs great and power is there I can feel the vac advance kick in then it knocks. If I retard it the slightest the knock goes away, but then its sluggish and runs hot. I have a line on a clean running 4.0 so it may be time to switch over to computer and fuel injection.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #281
soonermatt
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post

Yeah it was hacked together when he got it, over the last six months he has put a lot of work into it and its nice to see all his work pay off. Still a few more fixs under his sleeve, but at least he can drive it down the road without killing a bus full of puppys.
On a side note im still fine tuning my timing to get rid of the knock.... its not going so well if I set it at 8btdc it runs great and power is there I can feel the vac advance kick in then it knocks. If I retard it the slightest the knock goes away, but then its sluggish and runs hot. I have a line on a clean running 4.0 so it may be time to switch over to computer and fuel injection.
Have you played with different fuels? For the first time, I tried 91 in my BMW. I was told (could be wrong) that predetonation can increase with air temp. That might fix my minor problem on that car in heat.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #282
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post

Have you played with different fuels? For the first time, I tried 91 in my BMW. I was told (could be wrong) that predetonation can increase with air temp. That might fix my minor problem on that car in heat.
Yeah I only run the highest I can buy and I even tried some octane boost, also did a seafoam treatment. Not much change although the seafoam did smooth out the idle.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #283
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,817
I have been wondering if it could be my thermostat, I know it sounds crazy but it knocks after its warmed up. It never gets above 210, but before the timing chain fiasco it never got above 190 so I may try a cooler temp thermostat and see what happens, besides its a cheap easy thing to replace.
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #284
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,817
Ok none of those things worked but it was good to replace them anyway good preventative maintenance. Guess I will pull the valve cover tonight and check for a sticky rocker, bent push rod or lifter problem. Thats the only thing thats left!
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #285
cojab
Senior Member
 
cojab's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
I have a line on a clean running 4.0 so it may be time to switch over to computer and fuel injection.
I'm going to sound like Anti here and spend some of your money and say grab that engine!!!
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.