Sixth Sense TJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Sixth Sense TJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 12-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sixth Sense Stretched TJ on One Tons Build Thread

I'm starting a build thread here to keep track of my 97 TJ build that's getting underway right now. The original plan was to build my 2004 WJ but I decided it against another unibody build. I want a frame and a place to tie armor into. The name Sixth Sense build is because this is my 6th Jeep I've built now and my senses tell me that if I buy and sell anymore Jeeps now that I'm married, my wife will kill me.

So that leads me to the build... Bought the Jeep a month ago with 212k on the clock for a steal of a deal.

It's a TJ Sport with 4.0L and auto. It came with factory half doors which I really wanted, a Rubi Dana 44 with disc brakes, an air locker in the rear and a Dana 30 up front both with 4:10's which are now for sale. It has a swapped in NP231J with an SYE and a hodge podge short arm 4" lift of IRO adjustable control arms, track bar and who knows what shocks. It also has the old school (good ones) BFG Krawlers in 35x12.50 on black aluminum bullet hole rims with about 1/2 tread or better. They are also for sale.

Now on to the plans....

The plan is to comp cut and stretch the Jeep from a 94" wheelbase to a 110" or 112" wheelbase. I wanted the belly pan to be 22" to 24" inches off the ground depending on tire size. Currently I have a set of 38.5 TSL Swampers to go on it but ideally I want some 40+ tires on beadlocks.

I've accumulated some parts already that include TNT Customs 3" front tube fenders with welded inners, Poison Spyder Rocker Knocker sliders, Sniper Fab comp cut rear corners with round flush LED tail lights, a new Quadratec soft top with tinted windows, a late 80's Ford Dana 60 Kingpin front axle, a shaved full float 14 bolt rear axle with disc brake conversion and a few other odds and ends.

The goal is to keep it somewhat streetable until I can sell my mildly built WJ on 32's and buy a tow rig next summer. Mama wants a Tahoe or Suburban first so I have to comply with those orders otherwise my *** will be sleeping in the garage with the TJ.

Here's the build specs:
97 TJ with 4.0L and auto
Custom 4 link rear
Custom 3 link front
Sniperfab Comp Cut Rear Corners with LED tail lights
TNT Customs 3" Flare Tube Fenders
FOA 2 inch 14" travel Coilovers in all corners
PSC Hydro Assist Steering
Ford Dana 60 Kingpin with 35 spline outers up front
Artec Truss up front
Warn Lock-out hubs
5.38 gears
ARB air locker in front
14 bolt with disc brake conversion out back
Artec Truss out back
5.38 gears
ARB air locker in rear
1350 u-joints
Custom Drive shafts
Transfer Case either a Stak 2 speed Monster Box or Atlas II in 4.3:1
Bumpers and winch are yet to be determined
Custom cage by Full Awn Fab in VA
43" TSL SX on TWF Beadlocks
Magnaflow Exhaust

This is how she currently sits right now...

Unread 12-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the one tons that I picked up from a guy in Baltimore. Planning on running these wheels and tires for a bit. May plasti-dip the wheels black though until I get some PitBull's on beadlocks...

Unread 12-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I started fixing all the major leaks on the Jeep prior to getting into the suspension. I wanted to drive it around a little bit this winter before we started the hardcore fab on it.

So over the last two weeks I did a new valve cover gasket with new CCV filter and PCV elbows with new grommets (they were a PITA to get out), a new distributor, new headlight sockets as well as a new head light switch in the dash (old ones were way corroded and lights kept going on and off at random times, all fixed now!), a new rear main seal as it was leaking what seemed like about a half a quart a day on the garage floor (well maybe not that much but it was a mess), a new oil pan gasket and while I was in there a new oil pump too. It was running less than 40 PSI so I figured I'm only going into the bottom of the motor once, I might as well do it while I'm in there. That was ***** job too.

I also needed to get an emissions to keep my tags so I picked up a brand new Magnaflow setup from the manifold back that included a new cat too. Sounds bad a$$ now.

My twins decided that they wanted to help daddy work on his "Beats". That's 2 year old talk for the word JEEP. haha

michaelmaxim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The new oil pump and it installed after some oil in my eye balls...

Unread 12-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

New tags came in too. Don't worry, I live in a gated community and my house it protected by the good lord and a gun. If you show up unwelcome, you might meet em' both, son. Just an FYI.

Unread 12-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice Jeep and great looking project! The license plate is awesome, good choice!
'04 WJ
'46 CJ2A
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 06:07 AM   #7
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm changing my gearing to 5.38's since I think I decided to run 42 or 43 TSL SX's now. Just a little update. No new pics yet.
Unread 01-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My 43 TSL SX's showed up last week. Need to order my TWF beadlocks next. Other than that it's stalled at the moment until the fab shop frees up a space for the old girl to sit for an extended period of time.

michaelmaxim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
JeSimmers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice undertaking you have going on here. Be sure to keep this thread alive with updates!
Red Jeep Club Member #454
JeSimmers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My build is stalled at the moment. Fab shop is slammed busy (good for him, bad for me) lol. Waiting to get the Jeep in the shop to start the tear down so I can sell off all the old parts to make room for the new ones.
Unread 02-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to this.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Full Awn pulled the Jeep into the shop this weekend and now they are getting ready for the stretch, fitting the comp cut corners and getting ready to make sparks fly!

Unread 02-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #13
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I made it down to the shop yesterday and started pulling the rear axle. Got it out and started to work on the front but ran out of time. The plan is to get back down there tomorrow and get the front pulled. Once we get the front out, we can start the trimming of the sheet metal and get the stretch process underway!

Unread 02-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #14
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also- Is there an admin that can move this thread to the Jeep builds forum?
Unread 02-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
michaelmaxim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered my beadlocks in this color combo yesterday... can't wait to see these mounted up to the 43" TSL SX's!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.