Sir Winston's "Built" Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Sir Winston's "Built" Thread

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sir Winston's "Built" Thread

I first decided that I wanted a jeep after driving my friend's(Kyle_Craig) jeep on a trail. So I spent about the next year looking for something. About a year later I when to EJS in Moab, after returning from the trip, I realized I needed a jeep. Then at the beginning of summer, my yukon xl died and went to look at a few jeeps, I found this one and picked it up 3 days later. Since then I've been adding a few small things and saving for some bigger things. So I finally decided to make a build thread. Im calling it a "built" thread cause it had the lift, tires and rims on it when I bought it. When I bought the Jeep from the dealership she had 33,000 miles, which I though was pretty good for being 4 years old. on her, a 2.5" Teraflex BB, 33" Dick Cepek A/T's. It seemed like a great vehicle to replace the old yukon. Well on to the pics!

Here she is right after she got home from the dealership

The first thing that I did was get rid of the chrome step rails. My buddy who works at a Jeep dealership, called me about some Rubi Rocker guards and told me that they would sell for $50. So a few days later I headed down and picked them up and put them on when I got home. Here is what it looked like after.

Then after getting stuck, I decided to pick up a Hi-Lift, so I went to the local Fleet Farm and bought a 48" Hi-Lift and then went to Auto Zone to pick up some exhaust clamps to make a mount for it.

I then decided wanted a CB for the trails, but didnt want to pay $50 for a mount so I went to the basement to see what I could dig up and I found exactly what I was looking for, so after a quick cut with the sawzall, some sanding and some black spraypaint it was finished. I'll post up pics later.

After about 2 months of owning Lucille (thats her name) I got sick of the doors not coming off. So I grabbed a wood block, a couple bottles of penetrating oil and the Hi-Lift and had at it. 30 minutes later and they were all off and I was very pleased haha. And just in time to snap some pics

After making some plans for a wheeling trip I went to disconnect the swaybars and then after disconnecting the rear swaybar I dug around a little bit and found out why the Jeep rattled every time I took off from a stand still. Turns out the heat shield above the muffler wasn't connected by anything, It was just sitting on top of it. So after a few minutes of wrestling with it it came off.

I also learned why not to but cheap tools....

Then after seeing that the muffler was simply head on by a clamp and 2 hangars My buddy and I decided to take it off to see what it sounded like. after getting the clamp off and free from one of the hangars, we couldnt get it off and neither one of us wanted to put it back on. So I we grabbed the Sawzall and simply chopped it off. Sorry no Sawzall pics . And to my surprise it doesn't sound half bad, I think I might keep it like it is for a while.

Here is the most recent pic of her, sitting next to my buddy's Ranger

Well thats all I have for now. More pics when I get back from out wheeling trip.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #265
SirWinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Gavin...what up...subscribed...
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Gavin...what up...subscribed...
Well I guess you now know what I took the sawzall too haha
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well after taking the doors off a few times, they acquired quite a few scratches and knicks on the bottom, so I decided to bed line the rocker guard and lower part of the doors, to prevent future scratches. Also The rear door hinges were getting quite chipped up and rusted, so I belined them as well. Heres some pics of the whole process.

Before:

During:

And finished:

Im happy with the finished product, hopefully it will do what I hope it will. Guess I'll find out this winter
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

So I had some bed liner left over from the rockers, so I decided to spray the chrome gas cap, and then my buddy gave me the idea of accenting it green. Still not sure how I feel about it, it might be changed later on.

Also in preparation for 35's I cut the front bumper ends off to get the clearance I need.

Also I took off the tow bar. Looks A LOT better now. Here is mid operation. I dont have any pics of the Jeep with it off yet

Also I made a temporary evap canister skid
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Gavin goes hard...

Here's a link to all of the pictures...feel free to add any you'd like to to it!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/.../#post12132863
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Went wheeling on Holy Cross trail, just outside of Minturn, CO and rally got to test the capability of my Jeep. Here are some pics:
The trip started at 6:30AM leaving from Steamboat and driving to Vail to pick up a friend and then heading to the trail head. Heres the Temp as we left Steamboat. It would'nt have been bad, but I had no doors on haha

Lunch break/waiting for the JK experience and Project JK to go by

At the top of the trail at the old mining city

Unread 10-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

I figured I should update this, since it has been a while. I had to redo the bed lining on my rockers panels and sliders since it was starting to chip, since I didnt sand it at all before I applied it. Well this time I did it right and I think it turned out better.
All sanded down

and finished

And today I prepared the Jeep for 35's that are hopefully going on this weekend, by cutting the pinch seam and rubi sliders
The amount I took off the sliders

and finished

Unread 10-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

35's are the jam !

Are the fenders flares coming off ?
Unread 10-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
35's are the jam !

Are the fenders flares coming off ?
They sure are! I think Im going to trim the fenders so I can get the tires to stuff a bit more
Unread 10-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

So after months and months of looking for 35's I finally found a set that I can afford and that aren't 4 hours away. They are BF Goodrich Mud terrains. I had to drive down to the Vail area to get them but it was totally worth it. I love these things! I cant wait to get a chance to wheel on them. But enough talking on to the pics or well I guess pic since its the only one I have at the moment
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
tkiss
1998 ZJ 

Great looking jeep. love the new tires
tkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
jeep360limited

Good looking Jeep!!

By the way, is your buddy with the Ranger on the Ranger Station forum? I know I have seen that truck before.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited-----SOLD
jeep360limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
SirWinston
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep360limited View Post
By the way, is your buddy with the Ranger on the Ranger Station forum? I know I have seen that truck before.
Yep he is on Ranger Station, he's got one sweet truck, it looks a whole lot different now with the recent paint job though
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
jeep360limited

Thought that truck looked familiar haha
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited-----SOLD
jeep360limited is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build , jku , poison spyder , psc , riddler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.