Sinus' 95 YJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Sinus' 95 YJ Build

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 06-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Sinus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sinus' 95 YJ Build

Hello all coming from Newfoundland, Canada

I picked myself up a 1995 YJ Sahara the other day for $1500 ($1300 USD)
The odometer isn't working so I'm not really sure what the true mileage is on it. 4.0L 5 speed, and as a bonus it came with a Tom Petty tape in the cassette player

(someone click free these for me)

The P.O used it for plowing his driveway so the chassis does need work. I plan on doing a frame-off once I get access to a garage

It needs a brake job, the heater and A/C both don't work, needs new U-Joints, new body mounts, general wiring, and most importantly, the rear of the frame and floor is rotted out! Some of you don't understand how good you have it!! Oh yeah..it's also leaking a bit of coolant and I think a bit of oil
This is my first car...I am 17 and just graduated high school. It will be on a tight summer job budget

Sinus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have to say it looks like a sharp jeep, but I dont like the sound of all the work that you have to do, a frame off is much harder than it looks.

But good luck! I dont care what anyone says, the sahara package looks sharp just the way it came, most people are going to tell you they would like it more without the pinstripes and decals, I like it just the way it is.
Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Sinus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Today I "attempted" to get the carpet and seats out of it. Lets just say I will be buying lots of replacements for old/rusty/cracked bolts and washers

The back of it was pretty good.. let's see how it is up front.

Oooh... not so good

Well the bolts were really rusty and hard to get out..action shot!

I found a huge pipe behind my shed which came in handy. Here's what I got accomplished before the famous Newfoundland fog creeped in

I am going to order the quadratec floor pans for both sides. Carpet + salt = death of a Jeep. Took it for a spin around my street today too.. having issues with the trans. It doesnt want to shift into gear sometimes.. kinda bummed out, hoping I didn't pile my money into a crock of s#*t!
I did co-op welding in school.. I should be good for that. I have to get my hands on a MIG welder!

Oh yeah. Anyone want some carpet? Ha!
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
irish_loveAWD
Green Newbie

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinus View Post
Hello all coming from Newfoundland, Canada

I picked myself up a 1995 YJ Sahara the other day for $1500 ($1300 USD)
The odometer isn't working so I'm not really sure what the true mileage is on it. 4.0L 5 speed, and as a bonus it came with a Tom Petty tape in the cassette player

(someone click free these for me)

The P.O used it for plowing his driveway so the chassis does need work. I plan on doing a frame-off once I get access to a garage

It needs a brake job, the heater and A/C both don't work, needs new U-Joints, new body mounts, general wiring, and most importantly, the rear of the frame and floor is rotted out! Some of you don't understand how good you have it!! Oh yeah..it's also leaking a bit of coolant and I think a bit of oil
This is my first car...I am 17 and just graduated high school. It will be on a tight summer job budget
Click free as asked...

White Jeep Club Member #711
IRISH CLUB #77
Old Jeep Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Hippies are stupid.
irish_loveAWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
irish_loveAWD
Green Newbie

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Today I "attempted" to get the carpet and seats out of it. Lets just say I will be buying lots of replacements for old/rusty/cracked bolts and washers

Oooh... not so good

I found a huge pipe behind my shed which came in handy. Here's what I got accomplished before the famous Newfoundland fog creeped in

I am going to order the quadratec floor pans for both sides. Carpet + salt = death of a Jeep. Took it for a spin around my street today too.. having issues with the trans. It doesnt want to shift into gear sometimes.. kinda bummed out, hoping I didn't pile my money into a crock of s#*t!
And again...

That sucks you have all that rust. Looks like you have some work ahead of you.....

White Jeep Club Member #711
IRISH CLUB #77
Old Jeep Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Hippies are stupid.
irish_loveAWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
justanotherhemi
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Oooh... not so good

I did co-op welding in school.. I should be good for that. I have to get my hands on a MIG welder!

Oh yeah. Anyone want some carpet? Ha!

Sweet looking YJ
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
justanotherhemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Sinus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the click frees and quick response time!

MA88XJDude, the pinstripes and decals will all come off in good time. I got the Jeep on Thursday night! I plan on doing engineering so this will be a great hands on experience for me.

My dad also owns the local Rent-a-wreck, so any issues or problems and I can ask the mechanic I work with! Also discounts on parts from Napa, salvage yards, etc.
Too bad I don't have access to it all though..lift.. a big mac tool set.. ugh. Maybe over the winter months.
Unread 07-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Sinus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well...as well as being diagnosed with strep throat today, I got the Jeep up on a ramp...things aren't looking pretty. Definitely bought a money pit..
What needs to be done:

- Rear diff cover leaking
- Brakes need new backing plates
- Chassis repairs to front and rear
- New brake/gas lines
- Floors
- Steering box leak
- Coolant leak (hose and rad)
- Needs 4 new u-joints
- Brake drums and rotors
- New body mounts

...Oh boy.
Time to decide if I should turn the Heep into a Jeep or just get rid of it before anything else can go wrong.

Jfers, want to give me your imput please?!
Unread 07-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
KJoop98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You wont be disappointed in the but it will be alot of work along the way. But worth it. The exterior looks to be in good shape. Just take it easy and knock one thing off that list at a time.

"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
KJoop98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
alecmcmahon

looks like a nice YJ, i loved my 95.

invest in.

nice breaker bar

PB BLASTER

and anti - sieze for whatever bolts you put back!

have fun!
alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Sinus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote on the chassis/body mounts/floor repair...= $1000 bucks. Living on a cold island in Canada definitely has its downsides for shipping..but lots of good wheeling...eventually.

The only good news; the front of the chassis around the steering box was repaired by the PO!

All the power steering fluid has leaked out of it now and after it moves any short distance it flushes out a lot of diff fluid.
Definitely a heep.

What are some bolt on parts I can get for it? I'm looking for a steering box for a 98-99 durango/dakota 4x4 now. Does the snow package make a difference at all?

I'm getting the radiator recoiled too. Will a lower radiator hose from an XJ with the 4.0L fit the YJ?

I also need backing plates for the rear wheels. Theres holes rusted in them. Where can I pick up some online?

Going to try and call around some salvage yards in other atlantic provinces. I can probably get a chassis bought and shipped to my door for cheaper than a thousand bucks. ANYONE FROM ATLANTIC CANADA THAT KNOWS OF WHERE I CAN FIND ONE PLEASE PM ME!!!
Damn making 9 bucks an hour sure sucks.
Unread 08-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
Sinus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hoping to bring this thread back to life. A lot of questions in my last post weren't answered... thanks JF...

Anyways, I've got a new floor in on the drivers side and a piece tacked in on the passenger side. Looks great. I'll get a picture up when I can..tail end of Hurricane Bill is about to hit.

The Jeep was about to get chassis work done but it didn't almost seem worth it..after putting it up for sale and many tire kickers, I think I'm just going to keep it. Your first car is supposed to be a junk anyways am I not right? I managed to find a fella who can do it for $500! That's way better than the $1000 I was quoted. He did the floor for $100 too.

I'm going to have to get new body mounts and body mount bushings for for when the chassis work gets done. I'm trying to find a kit online somewhere which includes both.. I'd much rather buy them together as opposed to seperate just because the shipping and timing will be different. I'd like to get it all done at once.

Another question has to do with POR-15. Napa sells it here for $60 a quart...a bit stiff. I might order some from the states and get my aunt to ship it up. How many coats did you use on your chassis? as well as the bottom of the tub. Nice thick coats too; need it to survive in the winters here.

Next, it's still leaking coolant. Will an XJ lower radiator hose fit the YJ?

And finally, backing plates for the rear brakes. Where can I find some? Mine have holes rusted through them..

Someone answer PLEASE!
Unread 08-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hoping to bring this thread back to life. A lot of questions in my last post weren't answered... thanks JF...

Anyways, I've got a new floor in on the drivers side and a piece tacked in on the passenger side. Looks great. I'll get a picture up when I can..tail end of Hurricane Bill is about to hit.

The Jeep was about to get chassis work done but it didn't almost seem worth it..after putting it up for sale and many tire kickers, I think I'm just going to keep it. Your first car is supposed to be a junk anyways am I not right? I managed to find a fella who can do it for $500! That's way better than the $1000 I was quoted. He did the floor for $100 too.

I'm going to have to get new body mounts and body mount bushings for for when the chassis work gets done. I'm trying to find a kit online somewhere which includes both.. I'd much rather buy them together as opposed to seperate just because the shipping and timing will be different. I'd like to get it all done at once.

Another question has to do with POR-15. Napa sells it here for $60 a quart...a bit stiff. I might order some from the states and get my aunt to ship it up. How many coats did you use on your chassis? as well as the bottom of the tub. Nice thick coats too; need it to survive in the winters here.

Next, it's still leaking coolant. Will an XJ lower radiator hose fit the YJ?

And finally, backing plates for the rear brakes. Where can I find some? Mine have holes rusted through them..

Someone answer PLEASE!

Try posting this stuff in YJ tech, you'll get a lot more responses there.

And I'm not sure if you've seen these or not, but if you were planning on tearing the whole thing down, it's worth the $190.

Stainless Steel Bolt Package by Totally Stainless Inc. and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.