The Silver Bullet - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 1335 Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 PM
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer
Posts: 2,707
How's the 8274 looking ?


TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1335 Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 PM
dontgoonthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: livonia
Posts: 30
jeep

I enjoy reading these =D
dontgoonthis is offline  
post #93 of 1335 Old 11-17-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
How's the 8274 looking ?
sorry about no updates, i don't really have time during the week to do much jeep work because of homework/school/work. so i haven't had the chance to try to pull the drum off, but i have done some research and shopping on how to rebuild it for the absolute cheapest, i think when all said and done i will have a like new warn winch for 350 not including the price of synthetic rope though.

i will have more pictures and updates on it tomorrow night or saturday!

no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join OffroadSC.com

The Silver Bullet
mcannon111 is offline  
post #94 of 1335 Old 11-17-2011, 03:29 PM
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer
Posts: 2,707
Ya I want to go synthetic but at the price 150' is going for I can't pull the trigger.

What length are you going to get ?

TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline  
post #95 of 1335 Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM
mallard15
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Ya I want to go synthetic but at the price 150' is going for I can't pull the trigger.

What length are you going to get ?
He's thinking about getting 125' of 3/8". Only 300 plus fairlead

Bestop Extendatrunk for sale (150$) PM me

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline  
post #96 of 1335 Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard15 View Post
He's thinking about getting 125' of 3/8". Only 300 plus fairlead
280 from 4wd for the 5/16th line that has 100 foot of line with a hook on it and crush proof thimble too... or you can buy it from quadratec for 220 without the hook. i'm just not sure if 100 ft of line is enough hence i have never used a winch, i mean i would assume it is though cause in SC trees are... EVERYWHERE.

also not really sure if i should go with 5/16 or 3/8th. any suggestions?

no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join OffroadSC.com

The Silver Bullet
mcannon111 is offline  
post #97 of 1335 Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 PM
kyle_craig
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: White Bear Laaake, Minnesooota
Posts: 2,745
If you're planning on buying an Amsteel Blue line, I'd just order it directly.
250ish for a 100', 3/8" line with hook:
http://www.amsteelblue.com/results.cfm?catid=1805

In my opinion, it pays to err on the thicker side when it comes to synthetic line. While it's safer, it can generally be inherently easier to damage. The way I see it, if you fray a 3/8" line a little, you still might have 5/16" of material. The thinner you go, the less material you have to work with. That being said, I'm a fan of the synthetic lines and I see one in my future. My fraying 5/16" steel line is scary. As far as length is concerned. I'd say 100' is plenty. I believe my line is 85' and I've yet to use all of it. I do carry two 30' tow straps just in case though. I personally couldn't justify a $300 price tag for a 125' line when you can get a 30'x4" strap off of amazon for $25 shipped. However, it's up to you to decide what length you prefer.
kyle_craig is offline  
post #98 of 1335 Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
If you're planning on buying an Amsteel Blue line, I'd just order it directly.
250ish for a 100', 3/8" line with hook:
http://www.amsteelblue.com/results.cfm?catid=1805

In my opinion, it pays to err on the thicker side when it comes to synthetic line. While it's safer, it can generally be inherently easier to damage. The way I see it, if you fray a 3/8" line a little, you still might have 5/16" of material. The thinner you go, the less material you have to work with. That being said, I'm a fan of the synthetic lines and I see one in my future. My fraying 5/16" steel line is scary. As far as length is concerned. I'd say 100' is plenty. I believe my line is 85' and I've yet to use all of it. I do carry two 30' tow straps just in case though. I personally couldn't justify a $300 price tag for a 125' line when you can get a 30'x4" strap off of amazon for $25 shipped. However, it's up to you to decide what length you prefer.
thanks for the input man, i definitely think i'm going to go with the 3/8, just seems like the way to go. The link will be very helpful to save me money , hopefully will be getting some of that line soon

no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join OffroadSC.com

The Silver Bullet
mcannon111 is offline  
post #99 of 1335 Old 11-17-2011, 08:30 PM
kyle_craig
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: White Bear Laaake, Minnesooota
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
thanks for the input man, i definitely think i'm going to go with the 3/8, just seems like the way to go. The link will be very helpful to save me money , hopefully will be getting some of that line soon
Glad I could be of help. If you find a better deal on quality line let me know. I'll be upgrading in the future.
kyle_craig is offline  
post #100 of 1335 Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
In my opinion, it pays to err on the thicker side when it comes to synthetic line.

I personally couldn't justify a $300 price tag for a 125' line. However, it's up to you to decide what length you prefer.
Ya I havent been able to justify it yet either haha which is why I havent gone syntehtic yet But after seeing the price for a 100' I may have to do that. Good looking out on that deal Kyle.

But like the point you made I'd rather err on the longer side since I've been know to go a little too far.

TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline  
post #101 of 1335 Old 11-18-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Ya I havent been able to justify it yet either haha which is why I havent gone syntehtic yet But after seeing the price for a 100' I may have to do that. Good looking out on that deal Kyle.

But like the point you made I'd rather err on the longer side since I've been know to go a little too far.
a problem you run into with too much line is that one you loose winch power, and two if you can't get a good angle and can't wrap it on the winch correctly it will wrap up faster on the one side faster.

no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join OffroadSC.com

The Silver Bullet
mcannon111 is offline  
post #102 of 1335 Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
a problem you run into with too much line is that one you loose winch power, and two if you can't get a good angle and can't wrap it on the winch correctly it will wrap up faster on the one side faster.
That issue has gone through my mind as well. Haha

TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline  
post #103 of 1335 Old 11-18-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
mcannon111
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: irmo
Posts: 1,854
well drum still will not f'ing come off after letting atf transmission fluid and acetone brew in there for a freaking week! some people tried hanging it over there head and catching it right before the ground and that did not work for me....

did extreme free fall, and its still on there


no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join OffroadSC.com

The Silver Bullet
mcannon111 is offline  
post #104 of 1335 Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer
Posts: 2,707
That picture is classic. Good luck getting that off.

TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline  
post #105 of 1335 Old 11-19-2011, 01:56 PM
mallard15
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 247
He finally got it off. He said "he gave it hell."

Bestop Extendatrunk for sale (150$) PM me

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
03 WJ AKA The Silver Bullet Voltage258 Jeep Builds 4 06-29-2011 09:35 PM
JK Silver with Silver hard top pics? gdok Jeep Picture Requests 0 03-09-2011 04:47 PM
Silver Jeeps with Black and Silver rims jsmaem1106 Jeep Picture Requests 6 09-05-2010 11:09 AM
The Silver Bullet causearuckus Jeep Builds 8 02-10-2010 03:33 PM
Silver Bullet Leland Jeep Builds 0 12-17-2001 02:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome