The Silver Bullet - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Silver Bullet

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #61
LilSteve97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck finding a ford 9" in a chevrolet....look into a semifloat 14 bolt while your at it, smaller ring gear then the 1ton version 9.5>10.5 and they are pretty beefy. I have a friend with a ZJ that has a 9" and said he wishes he would have gone full width 8.8 instead of the 9" as the axle seals always leak and pulling the 3rd member out can be a pain.

mallard15, I stated that both of the toyotas i had were sprung over. Theres a lot other ill effects of leaves then axle wrap, having a properly set up leaf system takes a lot of work, shackle angle is a big factor of a proper set up. I'm not jumping into linking my jeep blind i assure you i've done the homework and wheeled with a lot of guys that i've learned a lot from. The antisquat numbers i'm shooting for are between 80-90%, most the jeeps i wheel with are set up close to that and work flawlessly. At the end of the day though, **** on paper may look good but with little space to work with on a TJ frame, you just have to make it fit. The numbers i've crunched should work good and fit under my jeep. I wont say my links are long or short, but from what most people on here refer to them, they're considered mid at 26" front lowers and 28" in rear.

Looks as though your from SC as well, do you wheel around here?

LilSteve97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #62
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSteve97TJ
Good luck finding a ford 9" in a chevrolet....look into a semifloat 14 bolt while your at it, smaller ring gear then the 1ton version 9.5>10.5 and they are pretty beefy. I have a friend with a ZJ that has a 9" and said he wishes he would have gone full width 8.8 instead of the 9" as the axle seals always leak and pulling the 3rd member out can be a pain.

mallard15, I stated that both of the toyotas i had were sprung over. Theres a lot other ill effects of leaves then axle wrap, having a properly set up leaf system takes a lot of work, shackle angle is a big factor of a proper set up. I'm not jumping into linking my jeep blind i assure you i've done the homework and wheeled with a lot of guys that i've learned a lot from. The antisquat numbers i'm shooting for are between 80-90%, most the jeeps i wheel with are set up close to that and work flawlessly. At the end of the day though, **** on paper may look good but with little space to work with on a TJ frame, you just have to make it fit. The numbers i've crunched should work good and fit under my jeep. I wont say my links are long or short, but from what most people on here refer to them, they're considered mid at 26" front lowers and 28" in rear.

Looks as though your from SC as well, do you wheel around here?
Yeah I know what to get a nine inch out of lol and a 8.8 is way weaker than a nine inch with way less potential. 14 bolts have no problem clearance, and not as many parts. And Idk why I wrote chevy, hp44 from a 76-77 f100.

And yeah I am from sc I went to gulches a few weekends ago thats where the pics are from

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #63
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I compltely understand what you are saying. I would still like to see how leaves would do on a TJ. I know of a few people, Redsmoke, Kyle and a few others, who have done this and they love it. And yea me and mason both went to school with Gillis last year. I dont wheel very much mostly because I have different ratio's in the front and rear. I did wheel at my farm a couple of times before I swapped axles though. Going in a different direction now. And a 9" is more of a full width than an 8.8. 1980-86 f-150 9"'s are all 31 spline, semifloat, and around 65 inches wide I believe. Correct me if I am wrong but the most common 8.8's, from explorers and such, are around 59 or 60 inches wide. Narrower than stock TJ axles.

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #64
LilSteve97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The 8.8 that came in the back of early 90s f150 are fullwidth at 65". I wheel with a lot of folks that wheel 8.8's and i've never seen them skip a beat, in fact i've never heard of anyone breaking anything on an 8.8, even though they are c-clip they are stout, i've seen several 9's break several times on the trail. I had a TJ 44 in the rear of my jeep with a detroit and 4.88s and sold it in favor of an 8.8 when i started collecting parts to 4-link. They are a little narrow at 59" but i have no doubt in the strength.

In a year or two i do plan on building a set of 9's for my jeep but they will be custom from the housing on out.
Unread 10-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #65
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSteve97TJ View Post
The 8.8 that came in the back of early 90s f150 are fullwidth at 65". I wheel with a lot of folks that wheel 8.8's and i've never seen them skip a beat, in fact i've never heard of anyone breaking anything on an 8.8, even though they are c-clip they are stout, i've seen several 9's break several times on the trail. I had a TJ 44 in the rear of my jeep with a detroit and 4.88s and sold it in favor of an 8.8 when i started collecting parts to 4-link. They are a little narrow at 59" but i have no doubt in the strength.

In a year or two i do plan on building a set of 9's for my jeep but they will be custom from the housing on out.
Oh yes, a completely different animal haha.

Were those 9's that broke on the trail 31 or 28 spline? Most likely they were 28 spline. I would rather have a 9" over an 8.8. Why wouldnt you? (not trying to be a smart *** just wondering what your opinion is...)

Unread 10-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #66
marcus01tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard15 View Post
Oh yes, a completely different animal haha.

Were those 9's that broke on the trail 31 or 28 spline? Most likely they were 28 spline. I would rather have a 9" over an 8.8. Why wouldnt you? (not trying to be a smart *** just wondering what your opinion is...)
they were 31 spline.....
marcus01tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #67
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus01tj View Post
they were 31 spline.....
Well they must be wheeling harder than the people on 8.8's because, correct me if I am wrong, the axle diameter of an 8.8 is 1.31 and the 9 is 1.33. Idk I would still rather have a 9 inch over an 8.8.

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #68
marcus01tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

haha .02
marcus01tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #69
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus01tj View Post
haha .02
Yea yea I know its not much...

Unread 10-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #70
LilSteve97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

31 spline on 35s and took out a detroit while he was at it. The fact you have to pull 2 shafts to pull the 3rd out on the trail is annoying as hell too, same thing with toyota axles.
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #71
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSteve97TJ View Post
31 spline on 35s and took out a detroit while he was at it. The fact you have to pull 2 shafts to pull the 3rd out on the trail is annoying as hell too, same thing with toyota axles.
okay if he broke a 9 inch with a detroit, he would have broken an 8.8 too and then his tire would be walking out... then remove a c clip. bla bla bla. both axles have there pros and cons. this arguement is going no where, if you want to continue it i will happily start a thread

bakc to the normal. i found a nice stubby front bumper with d ring mounts, 3/8ths steel and winch/fairlead mounts for 100 bucks. might be going to get it today!
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #72
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

here we go, 1.25 jks body lift coming, and going to pick up that bumper tomorrow!
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #73
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to seeing that bumper!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #74
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

alright here's a pic of the bumper! man that was a good find! some guy ordered it and then backed out after the guy had already made it. so i got it for only a 100 bucks! got to order a winch before it goes on though, but it will be on before long don't worry only thing i don't like about the bumper is there is no points at the end, but i'll see how it looks when on there, may change it up some
bumper-800x600-.jpg  
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #75
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's going to look good. Are the ends open or closed up? Either way, nice find.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.