The Silver Bullet - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Silver Bullet

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #46
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
You really should man! it's a fun and straightforward way to stretch it. We went and pulled a factory Cherokee rear shaft, cut the welds off of the yoke, cut it shorter, and welded the yoke back in. I'm real happy with it. Got lucky in the fact that it has no vibrations what so ever. If you're going to do a slip yoke eliminator, a shortened front Cherokee shaft would work well too!
Hey Kyle do you have a SYE? super short SYE? or no SYE on your 231?

Yukon 4.10 R&P Gears Set (300$) PM me
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #47
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard15 View Post
Hey Kyle do you have a SYE? super short SYE? or no SYE on your 231?
No SYE at the moment. I'm still running the factory belly pan. I'm planning on changing that though. That's why the rear Cherokee DS worked. Cherokee 231s have a slip yoke just like the wranglers. If you install a SYE though, you can use a Cherokee front shaft to the best of my knowledge.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #48
LilSteve97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
here are some pictures from this weekend, great trip!
I see Gillis scurrying along behind you. You know him? Jeep looks good.

And im sorry for knocking anyone thats done it, but dont do leaves in the rear. It may be a cheap and easy way to stretch it but you'll regret it i'm sure. I've had 2 vehicles on leaves and axle wrap sucks. Building twice also blows. Check out Offroadsc.com it's a bunch of folks around SC local to you and can hook you up with what you need, including a 4-link rear.
LilSteve97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #49
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSteve97TJ View Post

And im sorry for knocking anyone thats done it, but dont do leaves in the rear. It may be a cheap and easy way to stretch it but you'll regret it i'm sure. I've had 2 vehicles on leaves and axle wrap sucks. Building twice also blows. Check out Offroadsc.com it's a bunch of folks around SC local to you and can hook you up with what you need, including a 4-link rear.
I too have had two vehicles (XJ's) on leaves and I actually enjoyed wheeling them 10x more than my TJ. Never, ever had any axle wrap, so much more stable, better road manners, less wheel hop. With this said, I plan to stretch my TJ to 100" on leaves by the beginning of the year.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #50
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Man I like this thread. I was just thinking about snubbing my factory bumper this same way. Like the siver jeep!
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #51
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It may be a cheap and easy way to stretch it but you'll regret it i'm sure. I've had 2 vehicles on leaves and axle wrap sucks.
Finished mine two weeks ago and I have zero regrets. Were your vehicles set up SUA or SOA?
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #52
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

yeah man i actualy have an account on there and know gillis, and sam pretty well. I meant to come to the last jeep club meeting (which i assume your in) but i just couldn't get off work. i'm for sure coming in november and i am going to go on yalls december wheeling trip as long as you aren't going to harlan, just don't want to drive that far for what my jeep is right now lol.

and idk i've heard alot of positive things about leaf springs in a tj. do it SUA, and stock xj springs. Get about 5-7 inch stretch to put you right on the money at a 100 inch wheel base. tough, stupid proof, and easy to fix if something goes wrong. and you can easily fix axle wrap with a trac bar

i feel like people just have a negative thought toward leafs springs to begin with because they think of all of the poorly designed leaf set ups (the stock xj one) lol if its done right it can easily provide the same or more travel than a well done short arm setup.

idk not completely set on leafs yet, but almost positive that will be the rout i go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
Man I like this thread. I was just thinking about snubbing my factory bumper this same way. Like the siver jeep!
thanks man, yeah the bumper i could have probably cut a little different, but it looks fine like it is to me. probably fabbing one up out a 3/8 steal sometime in the near future!
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #53
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

also no anti squat with leafs
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #54
4Banger88YJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would've kept some of the black and went tube fenders to kill a couple birds with one stone. I love the CJ "blinker" conversion.
4Banger88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #55
LilSteve97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yeah man i actualy have an account on there and know gillis, and sam pretty well. I meant to come to the last jeep club meeting (which i assume your in) but i just couldn't get off work. i'm for sure coming in november and i am going to go on yalls december wheeling trip as long as you aren't going to harlan, just don't want to drive that far for what my jeep is right now lol.

and idk i've heard alot of positive things about leaf springs in a tj. do it SUA, and stock xj springs. Get about 5-7 inch stretch to put you right on the money at a 100 inch wheel base. tough, stupid proof, and easy to fix if something goes wrong. and you can easily fix axle wrap with a trac bar

i feel like people just have a negative thought toward leafs springs to begin with because they think of all of the poorly designed leaf set ups (the stock xj one) lol if its done right it can easily provide the same or more travel than a well done short arm setup.

idk not completely set on leafs yet, but almost positive that will be the rout i go.

thanks man, yeah the bumper i could have probably cut a little different, but it looks fine like it is to me. probably fabbing one up out a 3/8 steal sometime in the near future!
I actually live in clemson, but i know brooks and have wheeled with a lot of the midcarolina jeepers, including this weekend at gulches.

Let me get a few more things done to my jeep and i'll start a build thread on here, already have a little one on offroadsc. Im in the middle of a 3/4link with waggy 44 front and ford 8.8 rear and i'll be sitting about 99-101" with adjustablility to go both ways and I have a stupid low amount of money in it and it isn't going to be a hack job, i just slowly aquired parts and waited on deals on stuff, also horse traded. I probably have less in the rear with JJ on both ends of the lowers, and heims on upper using DOM and frame and axle brackets then most have in a leaf conversion, or mighty close.

Both of the leaf rigs i've had were toyota so they were SOA which i know has more wrap then spring under. I still would rather have my jeep linked as it wheels a lot better then any leafs i've seen.
LilSteve97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #56
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Banger88YJ View Post
I would've kept some of the black and went tube fenders to kill a couple birds with one stone. I love the CJ "blinker" conversion.
dude that black was gross man you, the pictures made it look mint to what it really looked liked. i did get tube fenders and killed two birds in one stone cause i painted them with the hood and grill and the same time paint match looks way cleaner to me, but its all opion
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #57
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I actually live in clemson, but i know brooks and have wheeled with a lot of the midcarolina jeepers, including this weekend at gulches.

Let me get a few more things done to my jeep and i'll start a build thread on here, already have a little one on offroadsc. Im in the middle of a 3/4link with waggy 44 front and ford 8.8 rear and i'll be sitting about 99-101" with adjustablility to go both ways and I have a stupid low amount of money in it and it isn't going to be a hack job, i just slowly aquired parts and waited on deals on stuff, also horse traded. I probably have less in the rear with JJ on both ends of the lowers, and heims on upper using DOM and frame and axle brackets then most have in a leaf conversion, or mighty close.

Both of the leaf rigs i've had were toyota so they were SOA which i know has more wrap then spring under. I still would rather have my jeep linked as it wheels a lot better then any leafs i've seen.
idk man i'm doing a 9 inch and hp 44 from a chevy cause 9 inches are way stronger, provide the same clearance, semi float, way cheaper parts, and parts are wayyyyyy more common
Unread 10-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #58
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Alright, I can understand why someone would not think a leave swap in a TJ would be a good idea. But, correct me if I am wrong, I'm just guessing that the two vehicles you had were SOA and not SUA. And like mcannon111 said axle wrap can easily be fixed with a track bar. If you use XJ rear leaves and add an extra main leaf the leaves will be nearly flat. Thus, the ride will, most likely, be better than most coil sprung vehicles. Add some stiff gas charged shocks and it will ride very smooth. The 4 link rear entails a lot of effort to do it right. BTW what anti-squat numbers are you going to be shooting for? It's much more difficult to build a efficent and useful four link than it is to swap leaves on. And are you going to LA's? I'd hate to have the links dragging all over rocks
standard.jpg  

Unread 10-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #59
4Banger88YJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
dude that black was gross man you, the pictures made it look mint to what it really looked liked. i did get tube fenders and killed two birds in one stone cause i painted them with the hood and grill and the same time paint match looks way cleaner to me, but its all opion
This is true, pictures usually are an injustice, looks good either way, its a JEEEEPPP
4Banger88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #60
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Banger88YJ View Post
This is true, pictures usually are an injustice, looks good either way, its a JEEEEPPP
The pictures were an injustice trust me The paint looked horrible. Like he said, the guy who had it rolled on the paint. The paint had to some type of house paint (Like a Behr or something similar to that).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.