The shortbus build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The shortbus build thread

Yukon Zip Lockers FREE AIR COMPRESSOR AND ROCKRIDGE REBATEToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineTeraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier & Adjustable Spare Tire

Unread 05-27-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The shortbus build thread

Hey all, just picked up a new to me TJ, to replace the hole in my chest front when I sold my long armed WJ! I will be starting my build thread here, as well as keeping a list of all my plans etc! Now on to the stuff you guys like, pictures!

CURRENT PIC OF JEEP (3/14/15)

Here's a list of my plans, it's gonna be built on a budget.. I'm a full time college student working part time, and I also am the kind of person who would rather build something myself for a minimal amount, than pay thousands, even if I can afford it I want this jeep to be able to drive down the freeway at 75 mph, ride comfortably, and hit decently difficult trails.. Still working on all 3 at this point but it's only getting better!
gonna keep it mildly low, around 3.5-4 total of lift between suspension and body. not low enough or built enough to call it lcog. Here are the main points of the build that are done so far:

Stuff I've Done So Far:
>>01 TJ sport, 4.0, 32rh, hard top, AC
>>Skyjacker 2.5 lift
>>1 body lift and MML
>>Banks CAI
>>Pioneer touchscreen, and 6.5 speakers w/ 12 sub
>>8.8 swap with 4.10's
>>HP D30 with 4.10's and Detroit true trac
>>35 kevlars
>>Rampage rear tire carrier
>>Teraflex rear uppers
>>Ironmanfab lowers
>>Metalcloak Arched fenders
>>Poison Spyder hood louver
>>Barricade sliders
>>1.5 spacer up front, and new shocks
>>Thrush muffler

Little Sh*t That Needs Fixing:
[ ]Hardtop or windsheild wind noise, seriously needs to be fixed
[ ]Door rattle's, and dash rattles
[ ]Rear hatch hardtop leak
[x]tailpipe needs hangers, or I'll cut it off and throw on a turn down
[x]paint chips touched up
[ ]valve cover gasket

Future Plans

[ ]ZJ Tie Rod upgrade
[ ]CostCo 12v compressor
[ ]Tint windows
[ ]CB setup
[ ]Spartan Locker for 8.8

Other Stuff I Want: (these are things I don't NEED, and might not happen til summer)
[ ]Headliner, and paint hard top inside
[ ] paint door handles, and fuel filler
[ ] mirror relocation brackets
[ ]Bedline exposed yellow in interior
[ ]New front speakers
[ ]Soft top? Really want a NX, or Rampage frameless sailcloth. I have considered selling my hard top, and it would give me $ towards other stuff too, just not sure I want a soft top year round
[ ]Shock shifters? (decided against an outboard, might use next years tax returns to stretch the wheelbase, so it might not be worth it if I'm going that route)
[ ]tummy tuck (also might not be worth getting a driveshaft, if I'm going to stretch)

The day I picked her up, 2.5 skyjacker lift kit, Rough Country disco's, no rear sway bar, 33 duratracs, 3 spd auto, AC, and a half assed sound sytem install

Promptly took the shortbus for a shake-down wheeling run, and suddenly lost 4wd and got a weird knocking under the driver floor pan. Turns out Part of the shifting assembly that goes through the body mounted bracket came out and so I couldn't shift into 4wd, and it was making a racket under there. Shoved it back in, and it has worked since, need new bushings in it I believe.

Next thing I did was take a heat gun to my badly faded flares. This is the result!

Also plastidipped the grill, and removed the lame windsheild sticker. Also removed the mini flares in the front, and I will remove the steps soon to add rocker armor I am making. Plastidipped the rockers in the mean time to cover the holes left from the mini flares

Next up is chopping the fenders, JK style turn signals, some new 33 kevlars (I should probably just rock the tires I have on it now, but I figure sell em while they're worth something, and I really want Kevlars, I've wanted them my last 2 build and have never had them, so I am buying them lol) , rocker armor, sound system upgrade, and a rear bumper build! Eventually an 8.8 swap, and build for 35's will happen, but not til next spring. stay tuned

Unread 05-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Decided to cut the rear flares

Then I put don't trim on them and bedlined them

Came out pretty good I think!

Then I decided to paint the fronts with liner too, gonna chop em when my jk turn signals get here

Here the shortbus aka bumble-bee is with some fresh fenders

Decided to stubby the front bumper while I was at all this, light didn't work anyways

Fresh coat of bed armor
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 05-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Subbed

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

just waiting on parts now, but I ordered 33 kevlars, .75 spacers will be going in, ordered JK just signals too. I also picked up a couple full size spares today, and ordered a matching wheel
Unread 05-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

Seems like you're making good progress. Can't wait to see it come together.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up 5x3 1/4 angle iron today, man it's heavy! But these rockers will be able to take hits now
Unread 06-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Made those sliders
here's my buddy grinding them

Here's the finished product, gonna get some smaller bolts, but we just used what we had

For $50 not too bad!

Then I took her wheeling for real!

got a little stuck for a minute.. open diffs suck

This obstacle was pretty fun, leans the Jeep over pretty good! Girlfriend was screaming so that means I was doing something right

I wanted to test out my new rocker guards, but the rocks weren't tall enough

Unread 06-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Thedawgshow
Web Wheeler
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man..... I love the name of your rig. I am a singer songwriter and the name of my band is "THE SHORTBUS CRIMINALS".

http://www.facebook.com/Theshortbuscriminals

I also dig the rig itself. Looks like the build is coming together quick, and coming together well.

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I got my .75 spacers in the mail yesterday, and my kevlars should be here this week as well as the JK turn signals, and my spare wheel. After that it's gonna be wheeling, and fixing some stuff, like the AC, and I'm pretty sure my flexplate has a crack, or a loose bolt, and then I wanna get my sound system in, and get a decent sounding muffler on it. I've got tons on plans for it, next year I'm hoping to step up to 35's, with an 8.8 swap, and some more armor, and maybe a long arm kit, but being a poor college student, with Jeeping, and sport bikes as a hobby leaves me with limited funds. I had to choose between a JK, or a TJ, and my 08 cbr, I chose the TJ and CBR! Totally worth it, the CBR is my baby
Unread 06-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Tires got here

Pile of other parts waiting to go on
Unread 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got my kevlars on, started wanting to get death wobble. Installed my .75 spacers and got full blown death wobble. Steering box has a lot of pplay (clunking) everything else seems tight. Gonna do an alignment, drill a track bar relocation hole, install a steering stabilizer, get my tires balanced and go from there
Unread 06-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

aired down my tires to 28 psi, installed a new track bar, drilled a relocation hole, installed new hardware in that, installed my new steering stabilizer, and did a drive-way alignment last night. Fixed all my death wobble issues, except that the tires still need a balancing job. Also tightened up my steering a lot with the new parts and alignment. I have a bit of driveshaft vibes now, Gonna install a MML and see if that resolves it, I also need to install my rear track bar relocation bracket. I have some cam bolts for the rear I can use to adjust the rear pinion angle, not sure how I feel about them, never heard of them or used them.

After I get all this stuff done, I need to order a spare wheel still, cut my fenders flat, install my JK turn signals, and figure out what's wrong with my flexplate, and AC. Lots of work! was not expecting this much, but I'm ok with it, because now I know it's all built well, and solid, (as solid as you can get for what I've spent) vs half assed like it was before. Don't worry, I'll get more pictures soon!
Unread 06-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #14
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice little tj

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here's how she sits. Gotta go buy a hole saw then the turn signals and fender cut are happening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.