Shoeshine Boy a mild mannered TJ build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Shoeshine Boy a mild mannered TJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #91
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am also a huge fan of rainX. I haven't applied it in years tho because I use their windshield washer fluid and it applies anytime I use the sprayers. Water permanently beads off my windshield!

Unread 06-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #92
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

note to self look for rainx washer fluid.......
Unread 06-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #93
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't done much to my jeep I been busy working on my scrappy trailer a lot.
Today I did replace the mounting bolts on my winch, so its all secure. Then I re-spooled the winch under tension so I have that out of the way finally.
I started sanding my brooks customs light bar too but didn't get very far. I have been hesitant on it because 6 lights will be a chunk of money LMAO.
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #94
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Will, run that BCC windshield armor / bar then add lights later on
Unread 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #95
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I probably will........... I haven't actually decided what lights I want lol.
Unread 07-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #96
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OK THEN! my death wobble is getting worse, my brakes suck, and my rear shocks are getting louder.

Its time to REPAIR some things. So yesterday I contacted Mr Blaine and ordered some new black magic front brakes. I am price shopping for better steering, I want currie but its a bit high priced right now. And I am trying to hold out for the new 2.0 shocks from RC. But so far they only have 4" lift versions available. I wanted either bilsteins or OME but right now, being unemployed, they are out of my price range.

Once I get these 3 out of the way I think I better start on fixing driveline vibes. I need a SYE, CVDS and adjustable rear upper control arms. I see SAVVY's alum bling arms are competitive price to currie. Although I dont really think weight is an issue with CA's, I think I will go with the SAVVY's. They are lighter by a bit and they are adjustable on the jeep on the ground.

So the list of most importance as of right now

brakes *on their way to my door*
currie steering *or a cheaper upgrade
shocks of some sort
adjustable rear upper CA's *likely Savvy's alum bling versions*
SYE and CV drive shaft * shortest possible SYE and longest DS*

And a wishlist of sorts in no particular order
-From Under Cover Fab-
Raised body frame mounts
alum engine skid
alum gas tank skid
-From Savvy-
alum control arms
rocker protection
-From MCE-
3.5" flat fenders
-From where ever I find it-
A S-10 donor vehicle for engine swap
various parts needed for above mentioned swap
Gears, lockers and better axles (someplace in this thread I already planed this )
ARB snorkle
More lights for my BCC light bar
Besttop trektop NX

I also think I will run these 31" tires as long as I can and hopefully go bigger with the next tires. HOWEVER this will depend on what mods I have done when it comes time for tires.
Unread 07-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #97
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I actually did this a few days ago but heres the update.
I started like this.

About an hour later I had this. Its a Brooks Custom Concepts light bar/a-pillar armor, I had him add the windsheild light tabs and 6 evenly spaced light tabs on top. (youll notice different lighting I ran out of daylight for pics so theses are actually the next day about 9ish)

A few small problems but nothing major. First the windsheild mounts where a little too low and a little too far IN/Narrow. They are fine and I am happy with them but you can see here, that they are too low for KC daylighters. The bolts actually touch the hinge just a bit, and there was NO chance of getting the bottom rubber and washer on.

And here you can see what I see out my windsheild. The KC mounts where a bit wider set and I couldn't see as much of the lights. Minor details that I can live with.

Now the 2 problems that are 100% my own fault. On the driver side top self tapper screw... Yea I was too gunho and stripped it. I will have to get a bigger screw to put in there.
Second is I got excited and lazy at the same time and didn't prep and paint it very well.(truthfully I did a crap job LOL) So I will probably have to take it off later and do a better job.
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #98
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
A few small problems but nothing major. First the windsheild mounts where a little too low and a little too far IN/Narrow. They are fine and I am happy with them but you can see here, that they are too low for KC daylighters. The bolts actually touch the hinge just a bit, and there was NO chance of getting the bottom rubber and washer on.

And here you can see what I see out my windsheild. The KC mounts where a bit wider set and I couldn't see as much of the lights. Minor details that I can live with.
I think those light mounts are positioned perfectly! Nice and tight to the body and out of harms way. I've seen and heard of windshield lights being too wide and sticking too far out and coming in contact with objects. In some cases the lights have slammed into the windshield causing serious damage and breaking it. Now. those KC light bolts look way too long, I would remove them and replace with bolts that are 1/2" to 3/4" shorter so no threading is visible after you put the nuts on.

Quote:
Now the 2 problems that are 100% my own fault. On the driver side top self tapper screw... Yea I was too gunho and stripped it. I will have to get a bigger screw to put in there.

Second is I got excited and lazy at the same time and didn't prep and paint it very well.(truthfully I did a crap job LOL) So I will probably have to take it off later and do a better job.
I did both of these as well... use a small drill bit to smooth out the holes and use a larger sheet metal screw to tighten the top part. Tighten them in by hand only and use some threadlock to secure them in

As for the paint, I myself will be removing and repainting mine this fall before winter... I plan to apply 8 or so layers of clear coat to really keep it from chipping or getting scratched.

Overall it looks great Will! Really makes a difference with the look of your jeep... in a really good way
Unread 07-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #99
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well MCE announced the price for the new front 3.5" fenders $399! That puts a screeching halt to that idea. I expected them to be around the $250 area, but $400 is just too much for me. Just my luck to get all excited about a new product, wait patiently for it then I get disappointed when it finally comes around. I know and understand that they put a lot into these new fenders, but obviously they went overboard. Im sure they have an outstanding product they are close to releasing, but the original concept of a light, plastic, AFFORDABLE fender went right out the window.

Speaking of screeching halts I got my black magic brakes and centrec rotors installed and did the pad in procedure BIG IMPROVEMENT!

Guess that all I have to say right now............
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #100
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well MCE announced the price for the new front 3.5" fenders $399! That puts a screeching halt to that idea. I expected them to be around the $250 area, but $400 is just too much for me. Just my luck to get all excited about a new product, wait patiently for it then I get disappointed when it finally comes around. I know and understand that they put a lot into these new fenders, but obviously they went overboard. Im sure they have an outstanding product they are close to releasing, but the original concept of a light, plastic, AFFORDABLE fender went right out the window.
Agreed. I think they priced themselves right out of the market.
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #101
B2CARPEN

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, I haven't been to their thread in a while but $400 for those fenders are quite over priced. I still think they are better then metal since they won't ever rust, dent, or flake... but at that price I would save up for EVO aluminum fenders.

Will... I'm sure everyone will be pissed at that price and Mike at MCE will be forced to drop the price. Hold out a little while longer on the fenders and the price will go down this I know.
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #102
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I dont know if the price will drop or not.

The bad thing, for me, is that I still REALLY like the 3.5" versions. I'm not actually used to having restraint and telling myself no, and I still really want those fenders. However at that price it takes a big toll on other mods that I need. As a result these fenders end up REALLY low on my priority list.

I need a SYE, upgraded control arms. gears locker and axle upgrades, (an engine swap) not to mention bigger tires.

And like I mentioned in MCE's thread some advance warning would have made things a lot easier to take. I doubt anyone expected that big of a price jump.

the new price makes some other offerings such as pure jeep's fenders more appealing, because at least with them I can try to sell my original outer fenders. OR stash them away at the idea of getting a better jeep and swapping all the cool parts over, and returning my jeep to stock.... (because secretly, if I had my way, I would trade my jeep on a LJ rubicon and everything on my jeep would swap right over.)
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #103
Jafo1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Enjoyed reading your build. any updates. i was reading the section when you rebuilt to Warn 9000 when the guy selling his on craiglist called me. i met him and bought it for $250. it needs some tlc to get it running but I couldn't resist the price. hopefully i can keep that project under $500 total. thanks
Jafo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #104
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

no real updates I have been up in north dakota driving truck trying to get the bills payed down.

I drove the jeep up here twice now and have ate up 1 rear u-joint doing so. That tells me the next major mod should be SYE but that might end up making me do it twice if I end up swapping a chevy drivetrain into the jeep. 4 cyl automatic is just brutal on long drives! Especially in Wyoming with all the hills and wind. I average about 50mph and takes me 17 hours instead of the 15hrs it should take!

Maybe Ill just bite the bullet and trade it in on a new 2012 rubicon........
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #105
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jafo1 I sugest you take the winch apart and clean it really well then figure out what you want to replace and make 1 order. I tried to go cheap at first and missed parts I needed then had to make a 3rd order for the rest of the parts I wanted. I could have saved myself some shipping if I would have done 1 order rather than 3.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.