Shoeshine Boy a mild mannered TJ build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Shoeshine Boy a mild mannered TJ build

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #31
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OH I'm glad I took this pic! Looks like I need to grab some zip ties and better secure my amp battery cable! Goes to show a good once over is a good idea every once in a while.

balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #32
Colockum
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
LMFAO curious that most my damage is on the pass side! Maybe I need to learn better "proximity awareness" LMFAO
No that just means your a righty. Most of my damage is on the left hand side so I am a lefty. If you look at a lot of off road rigs that are consistency driven by the same person one side will typically have more damage.

Nice Wrangler by the way. Glad to see another person who is not afraid of dents and dirt. cheers2:
Unread 11-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #33
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep looks good. I too am eyeing the S-Pod. It's such a clean install.
Unread 11-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #34
xWhite420wIDOWx
1967 CJ5 

Nice TJ...
xWhite420wIDOWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #35
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I started on an ammo can console but for some reason I just cannot find my die grinder to cut the slot for the e-brake handle to come through.

So for now, the can is in there and the brake is not. Since I have an automatic I am not worried about the brake for a little while.

Im not exactly sure what the ammo can was for, its as tall and wide as a 20mm box but not as long and it was completely lined with foam. Its about perfect for what I want though.

I dont have pics yet either bcuz right now its just a green box bolted down in my jeep. I plan on making an arm rest pad and some sort of lock. I plan on boxing off the e-brake inside then add some pockets. I will paint it grey to match the interior.
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #36
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So trying to do the ammo can console, apparently my die grinder has gone walkabout. So today I splurged on myself and went and bought the biggest Dremel tool set that my local ace hardware had. I got the Dremel 4000 set and a big set of bits to go along with it.

With that, I came home, and was able to cut the necessary holes in the ammo can. So now I have a functional console and e-brake. I still need to make an arm rest pad, and inside dividers, paint the can, figure out a lock, and try to find some sort of material for the e-brake handle opening. I would love the "whisker biscuit" like the transfer case shifter has. Not sure where I would get it or how I would mount it. Ill get to that later. Its solid and roomy and just what I needed the glove box is just too small for the owners manual, legal documents and my ipod and adapter harness.

Thanks for looking!
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #37
JeeperCreeper94
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
So trying to do the ammo can console, apparently my die grinder has gone walkabout. So today I splurged on myself and went and bought the biggest Dremel tool set that my local ace hardware had. I got the Dremel 4000 set and a big set of bits to go along with it.

With that, I came home, and was able to cut the necessary holes in the ammo can. So now I have a functional console and e-brake. I still need to make an arm rest pad, and inside dividers, paint the can, figure out a lock, and try to find some sort of material for the e-brake handle opening. I would love the "whisker biscuit" like the transfer case shifter has. Not sure where I would get it or how I would mount it. Ill get to that later. Its solid and roomy and just what I needed the glove box is just too small for the owners manual, legal documents and my ipod and adapter harness.

Thanks for looking!
Any pics of the finished product?
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #38
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well it isn't finished but I will try to go get some pics of it so far!

Too dark right now sorry...

I will get some tomorrow
Unread 12-25-2010, 02:13 AM   #39
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry I don't have more pics of stuff my camera is just not happy and doesn't want to focus anymore. I did get the arm rest pad for the ammo can made and installed. I finally installed my CB and antenna (I've had it for almost 2 months just sitting in my house lol) Its a small midland 40 channel, I mounted it on top of the dash far left side between the a pillar and the gauges. And a Wilson trucker antenna, I welded on a mount top dead center of my tire swing out for the antenna.

Then we had our family Christmas tonight (Christmas eve) since my bro was here. He got me a slime brand pro power air compressor! Might not be the greatest but its better than nothing. I have a air tank around here somewhere and will probably mount the compressor and air tank and see it it lasts. If the compressor doesn't last i will at least have most everything already there and will be able to swap out the compressor. But all the reviews I can find online for it are positive, so that's a good sign!

I guess its phone pics for a while! I quit my job Nov 30th so budget has become non existant. I thought I had another job before I quit but it fell through on me.
Unread 12-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #40
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OK so some pics and update

got my CB finally installed

Made a mount for the antenna but its too cold to paint so it will have to be rusty until spring. this cold weather would just make a big booger

Got some pics of the ammo can console I cut it out with a dremel and made the pad out of a board some foam and some gray canvas like fabric.

Just a few pics of some snow wheeling

and a sneak peek of one of the next mods

slime pro power compressor 2.5 gal air tank and a REALLY loud air horn
Unread 12-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #41
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This post is just some links for myself in the future.

rear axle S35/CCE ARB
SUPERIOR AXLE & GEAR - products new home - Superior Axle\'s Super Eliminator(TM) Axle Kit for Model 35 Axle Assemblies - ARB
gears
SUPERIOR AXLE & GEAR - products new home - D35456 Dana 35 4.56 Ratio Ring and Pinion Gear Set by Superior 73382-5X
install kit
http://www.superioraxlegear.com/mast...l-p-10203.html

front axle S30 ARB
SUPERIOR AXLE & GEAR - products new home - Superior Axle and Gear\"s Evolution? Series Axle Shafts
gears
SUPERIOR AXLE & GEAR - products new home - Dana 30 High Pinion 4.56 Front Ring and Pinion Gear Set 706930-6X by Superior
install kit
http://www.superioraxlegear.com/3520...g-p-10180.html
tube seals
http://www.superioraxlegear.com/axle...l-p-13806.html
Unread 02-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #42
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered a UCF ultra high clearance skid plate in 1/4" alum. Also got some 1" tapered spacers from UCF. My hope is that I can run the skid plate and the spacers until I can afford a SYE, CV rear shaft, and adjustable rear control arms. Then I can hopefully remove the spacers and hammer the floor up a bit to clear the transfer case. I do not want to run a body lift if I can avoid it.

I highly recommend calling Matt at under cover fab if you want to rid your jeep of the factory snag they call a skid plate.
I also remover the front drive shaft and took it to have the CV rebuilt. Local guy who specializes in drive shafts did it for $110.
I have the drive shaft back now but will wait for the skid plate to come in to install both at the same time.

When I had the factory skid plate off to remove the drive shaft I noticed the bottom of the frame, especially around the nutserts had quite a bit of rust. When I take it off again I will be sure to wire wheel the rust and put a few heavy coats of paint under there and hopefully kill the rust before it gets bad.

I will try to take pics when I do the install.
Unread 02-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #43
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered a 1" body lift and a 1" MML. I didn't want one initially, but It will make room for the tummy tuck and I plan on a savvy gas tank skid.
So I have come around to thinking the benefits of the body lift out weigh the cons.

I have a goal in mind now. I am focusing on making more clearance under my jeep and to shed as much weight as I can.
My next few purchases will be, in no particular order...

-Savvy gas tank skid
-UCF alum winch plate
-synthetic winchline
-alum hawse flairlead
Unread 02-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #44
kevlarr
2002 TJ Wrangler 

great build thread thanks. I am eager to see where you go with the lift. I have also been researching for a few months to get the right lift for me. I wheel some but mostly for hunting and fishing and want to have enough but not too much. Which for me too much is when you have to change a gang of other stuff because you changed the geometry too much. I think a 3" spring and a 1 1/2 BL are the combo with a slip yoke eliminator. And maybe some adjustable arms as needed. Maybe Zone maybe BDS not sure yet. What are you thinking for lift ?
kevlarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #45
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It actually has about 2.5" of unknown lift when I bought it. I think it has settled down to around 2" or maybe even A bit less. My friend has a stock 03 and according to a flat parking lot and a tape to the bottom of the rockers I am exactly 3" taller than him.
He has no lift and 30x9.50x15's and I have the 31x10.50x15's Thats a very poor way to measure lift due to different brand tires measure differently. It doesnt look like I have much lift because the bushwacker pocket flairs actually hinder clearance. (my theory)

However to answer your question I may upgrade to a old man emu 2.5"HD lift some time in the future. But For now I am more focused on other upgrades. I would like to get currie control arms, antirock sway bar, SYE and CV Dshaft, savvy gas tank skid etc. then I will look into different springs. Basically springs are near the bottom of my list. HOWEVER if they continue to sag I may have to look into them sooner.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.