Shoeshine Boy a mild mannered TJ build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Shoeshine Boy a mild mannered TJ build

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #16
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Note to self: "Put camera on auto when taking both distance pics, and closeup pics."

balzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh I forgot to explain the situation here in these pics. This is what happens when you don't have enough articulation or lockers. I got stuck. At one point both the drivers front and the pass rear tires where just hanging about a foot in the air, kinda sketchy feeling when it teeters back and forth. Sorry I didn't get pics, my girlfriend was in charge of the pics lol. Anyway I had to jack them up and put rocks under the tires. after I was out I removed the rocks from the wash out. Digging by hand sucked and now I will not leave home without a shovel. A hi-lift jack or even traction bridges would have been nice too.

It was a lot of fun though and I kinda like getting stuck and having to figure out how to get out.
I feel that an over built jeep that can walk through anything would get boring. Wheres the challenge? Im a big fan of camel trophy type adventure rigs.

Do any of you love your jeep? No I mean really LOVE it? I sure as hell do.
Unread 05-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #18
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

^^^Why do you think I wash it every week, use 4 wheel at least 3 times a week and clean the inside as often as possible...yeah I'm in love.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #19
jlax2485
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I LOVE my jeep...13 mpg and all haha. I will ALWAYS have a jeep
jlax2485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so as I mentioned I will not go without a shovel of some sort again. Digging with your hands just plain sucks. So I looked around in all my stuff and came up with a military folding shovel. Perfect! I also found a nice hachet, that could be handy as well. I didnt want them just banging around in the back so I had to fab up some mounts on my tire swing out.

gathered some materials

Of course afterwards I cleaned up the welds and painted them, but for some reason I didnt take pics
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

BY THE WAY! My camera is a kodak easy share cw330. IT DOES NOT LIKE DIRT AND DUST! Im having problems with the focus and zoom. It sounds gritty when the lens moves in and out.

New camera will be on my list, Im thinking something a bit more rugged.
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #22
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

looks good so far. How did you run the wires for the lights to your interior switch?
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

After the mounts where done My baby bro and I decided to go for a short ride up the mountains.

Remember when I said where I live, Im 20 minutes from any kind of outdoors? You've seen the desert pics here's the Rockies.

Water coming down

And it disappears into the rock

old mine was started here

Ice still falling down at us

This is Pole Creek Sink and the Rhodes attempted gold mine They never got approval to divert the water and some people where killed in the blow out (see the nice window in the mine shaft) The mine is only 15-20 yards deep.
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #24
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
looks good so far. How did you run the wires for the lights to your interior switch?
I havent yet I Dont want to just put holes in my dash and havent come up with a solution for mounting switches yet. I am seriously consitering the "s-pod and the source" seen here 4x4 SPOD Since 2005 - The ORIGINAL JEEP Over The Windshield Switch Console - Jeep Power Distribution System Its a bit of money though. so I have to save for it.
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #25
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OK long time with no real updates but I do have a little to tell.

I did wire up the lights and finished the install on the rear bumper lights. I also wired in a 7 pin trailer light plug and mounted it to the bottom of the bumper. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...wheel-1046162/

Today I got my winch back from having the motor rebuilt and new solenoids. While I was at it I had them build new battery cables and throw in a new interstate battery. I should be good for winter now.

Next on the list is new shocks the rear shock bushings are worn and rattle a lot and I would like some quality shocks. I may change out springs later as mine are starting to sag.
BUT I am really at a loss for how to do my suspension there are SO many choices! I basically want a high performance 2"-3" lift. Opinions and suggestions for components would be awesome so what are the best bang for the buck parts?
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #26
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The best bang for your buck would probably be the Rough Country 2.5" lift... like 400$. Not the best quality but it will get the job done. RC 2.2 shocks are also good and the 2.5" lift kit comes with pretty much everything you need if i remember correctly.
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #27
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestion but I should say I want higher quality/performance and I'm willing to piecemeal a nice lift that will last.

Not that Im against rough country yet. You just said not the best quality, so that turns me away.

My jeep already has an unknown 2"+/- lift, on it when I bought it, but after 7000 miles its lost some of its lift. I don't think the previous owner actually wheeled this jeep and my theory is that me actually flexing the suspension has caused the loss of lift. Although I did add some weight with the new bumpers and lights, it didn't squat it down at first.

Im afraid I will keep losing lift with the current springs, and don't want to pay for springs that will do the same later.
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #28
mallard15
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You could get a Old Man Emu lift or my preference the 3.5" RE SK lift kit. Good qualilty and piece it together. They have very good product. THat is what i am trying to piece together at the moment after I get my metalcloak fenders.
mallard15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #29
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I has carnage! nothing major just enough to make ya say damn lmao.

Backwoods pinstripes

painted flares scratch too easily

bumper rock rash and a slightly smashed gas tank skid

tiny and hard to see but I NEED rocker guards there is a dent and chipped paint.

Dang lol I guess using a jeep the way it was intended tends to mess things up a bit lol.

I plan on more armor and other upgrades as needed and money allows. As far as paint goes... I figure once It gets bad enough I feel I need to do something I will sand it down and go satin black. I may try to polish these out a bit but its kinda like battle scars....
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #30
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

LMFAO curious that most my damage is on the pass side! Maybe I need to learn better "proximity awareness" LMFAO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.