Shoeshine Boy a mild mannered TJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Shoeshine Boy a mild mannered TJ build

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 03-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Shoeshine needs a diet

Ok so when I decided to get a wrangler (I have always wanted one) I told myself I was going to get a TJ Rubicon. That is until I started looking at prices. The only Rubicons in my price range had tons of miles and beaten to a pulp. I have also been repairing my credit for a long time.

ANYWAY one day I saw my jeep sitting on a lot here locally so I went and checked it out. 2001 se 2.5 low output, automatic trans. Not really what I wanted But it had under 24,000 miles on it and was like new in every way. AND the price was right. $10,300 Plus he was willing to give me $2500 trade in on my girlfriends crap box 96 ford ranger. He also let me keep the new tires I had just put on the ranger. I went to the bank and they approved my loan, a huge surprise to me.

It has a hard top small lift Ramsey 8k winch and nice alum wheels with matching spare.

Cute aint it?

So far I haven't done anything to it but drive it and wheel it a few times.
I did order some stuff for it the other day.

Rampage recovery front and rear bumpers with the driving lights. (quadratec combo deal) price was right and I like the look of them.
KC windshield light mounts.
best top safari header style top and header
guards for all the lights (cheesy I know but I like them)

Should be here on the 15th, will update.

Plans: (no particular order)
currie anti-rock sway bar
slip yoke eliminator
undercover fab's alum engine and "no body lift" transfer case skids
alum rocker guards
alum trail corners
turbo and inter cooler by 505
super axle kits front and rear with 4.56 gears and selectable lockers.
synthetic winch line and hawse flairhead.
Possibly upgrade from the unknown lift to an OME. or at least OME shocks
lockable boxes for the interior
tuffy console
CB
upgrade stereo and speakers
beefy diff covers
ARB snorkel

A jeep is never done so Im sure I will have an endless list of little mods and stuff. I have been known to change my mind as well so we will see how that goes.

My goal is to keep it light and somewhat mild I don't want huge tires and all the fan fare. Just the best little jeep I can build.

I realize I could sell it and buy a better equipped jeep such as a Rubicon but for my budget I wouldn't be able to get one as nice and "new" as this one. Yea its 9 years old but its practically new as far as use goes.

Thanks for lookin Ill update as I go.

P.S. You younguns may not know "Shoeshine Boy" was Underdogs alter ego like Clark Kent is Supermans LOL
Has NOTHING to do with the color.

Last edited by balzer; 05-19-2010 at 04:10 AM..
balzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

more pics from the yard I really need to remember to take my camera when I go wheelin.

Unread 03-14-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sure does take a long time when your waiting for parts.............
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No build progress but I went and played today!
Got some pics of the mud early in the day but the later part the area was in a wetter area so less pics.

Unread 03-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok stuff came inso I started the install.

Jeep was muddy from wheelin the other day so I just sprayed the big stuff off. that way I could wash it better with stuff removed. Then bolt the new stuff on.

Ill let the pics say it.
Butt naked

junk ill try to sell or trade off

NEW

mounted for a minute I have to pull it back off and drill some more holes.

tail light guards going on

coming off

back together

You'll notice light guards and window mount are on now too.

Unread 03-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
DIX03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks good so far
DIX03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just ran and got another set of KC's to finish it off. Now I have 8 sets of lights to wire up I am seriously considering saving a few dimes for the s-pod, it would simplify the light wiring and give a nice switch panel.

I would also like to wire up the rear driving lights (in the bumper) to come on when I put it in reverse as well as with a switch.

I assume running the tail light power wire to the same post on the relay as the switch goes to? Or would that turn on the stock backup lights and run too much power through the switch? Any help would be appreciated.
Unread 03-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIX03TJ View Post
looks good so far
Thanks! Glad at least someone looked lol
Unread 03-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did run into some problems.

1) The rear bumper and tire swing arm are a bit out of wack. I need to grind the top hole in the bumper a bit so the tire carrier will latch properly.

2) who the HELL has wrenches as big as the tire mount bolt and nuts? Its like 1 1/2" or more I ended up using a big cresent to snug it up and will most likely tack weld it solid.

3) the bolts they sent for the wheel studs are too long. The lug nuts bottom out before the wheel is tight. I will stop by big o tires and try to get some real studs to press in.

4) the bottom bolts holding the front bumper on where torx heads and I didnt have a large enough tool for the job so I welded a hex head bolt to them and used a wrench. Still got to get some bolts in the bottom.

Overall it was pretty easy and went smooth. The windshield hinge bolts came right out after I scored the edge with my pocket knife.

5) OH YEA I had to clearance the front bumper lower bracket on the drivers side due to it hitting the steering box.

Last edited by balzer; 03-20-2010 at 07:15 PM..
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
WtrHamer97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good there man. When I wired up my KC reverse lights I just tapped into the stock setup on the passenger side. However I do not have them on a switch, just set to come on when I go into reverse. Works fine for me. Keep up the build
Unread 05-19-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I really haven't done much as far as a build goes I still havent even wired up the lights.

Its just too damn much fun to go wheeling in it, I always choose wheelin over wrenchin.

But I do have more pics.

Unread 05-19-2010, 04:06 AM   #12
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 05-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #13
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not too extreme but a lot of fun. ALSO in some of the pics it doesn't look like I am on a trail but I assure you there is an old and somewhat overgrown trail. Mostly pole line road from the power lines. I must be the first to travel these roads in quite some time and at points it gets hard to tell where the trail is. At other times you can tell a dozer has cut through to make the road and its nearly as good as any forest dirt road. Much of it follows the wash and gets a bit technical to avoid body damage.

Last edited by balzer; 05-19-2010 at 03:59 PM..
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
Tecks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

nice rig man, must be nice living right there in utah. im jealous
Tecks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! It is real nice living here for outdoors stuff. I am only 20 minutes away from pretty much anything. Desert, pine covered mountains, abundant lakes and even the green river. So pretty much any kind of terrain or outdoor activity a person wants is only minutes away.

The population is getting a little thick for my tastes but I still consider Roosevelt and vernal "small towns".

OH I did start the wiring for the lights but I really don't want holes in my dash or anything so I only got about half done until I figure out a solution for switches.

I started by removing the cowl.

Here I am pointing out the screw locations under the hood gasket

The less chrome the better... crap

plastic black loom... much gooder

route it behind the hing for a clean look

making connections

secure the wire

ground to body

repeat on pass side

front and more black loom

ran and secured under winch plate

Im still thinking I will go with the s-pod and the source for the rest of it but I gotta save some dimes and nicks and paydays have been a little small recently.

Thanks for looking more to come.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.