Shaner's TJ Sahara Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Shaner's TJ Sahara Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Shaner3721
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Shaner's TJ Sahara Build

Hey All,

I'm fairly new to posting here, but I have been reading for quite some time. I just purchased my first Jeep yesterday. It is a White 1999 Wrangler Sahara Edition (4.0L I6 MT). I got it for a great deal because there is a list of problems with it that I will be fixing. Here is the list that the dealer provided me:

-Serpentine Belt
-Blower Switch (No. 3 Fan Spd for HTR Control Broke)
-Rear Wiper Blade
-Water Pump
-Front Pads and Rotors
-Rear Shoes
-Front Sway Bar Links
-Drivers Mirror
-Fog Lamp
-Front Crank Seal

Here it is after I just got it home:

And I couldn't help but pull the hardtop off last night:

I'll be taking it in on Tuesday to have them detail it as they were too busy this weekend.

After I complete all the repairs I will be working to customize it to my liking and start building.

Thanks,
Shane

Shaner3721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Shaner3721
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So this weekend I replaced the front rotors and pads. I also ended up replacing the calipers because I thought the pistons in them were stuck... It turns out that Auto Zone had only the rotors for the 1 1/8" stud hubs and I have the 1 1/2" stud hubs! I spent most of the weekend scratching my head as to why I couldn't complete a simple brake replacement and it turns out it is because I assumed Auto Zone (a freaking store that specializes in auto parts!) knew what parts to give me when I told them the vehicle. I ended up getting the appropriate rotors from O'Reilly and then I had the car back to working order in a 1/2 hour. Needless to say, I didn't take any pictures of the new parts or anything because I was so frustrated. Other than that experience I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the jeep was to work on... there is so much room for access to everything!

Next on the list is rear brakes and then I will move on to the other mechanical stuff: water pump, belt, crank seal and sway bar links. I will probably also replace the wiper blades shortly here, just because they are so cheap and simple. One other thing that I found is missing is the passenger side door sill (black plastic section), that I will be searching for on part-outs and at junk yards.

Everything else with the Jeep seems to be in great shape. I dropped it off this morning for a full (8-hr) detail of the entire vehicle including both tops and I should be getting it back late today or tomorrow morning.

General Question for all of you: Has anyone ever coated some of the small plastic and metal bits on their Jeep with plasti-dip? I was thinking it would be a good way to clean up the door handles and some other hinges and scuffed up bits.

Looking forward to learning much more about Jeeps in the near future,
Shane
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a great rig to start with.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Shaner3721
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks midnight!

I picked her back up this morning and she is in immaculate shape after the detail

Will try and get some high-res pics soon!
Unread 09-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Jamie_209

Looks good Shane! Nice buy man. Mine is nothing like the Jeeps I've seen on here yet lol. I paid $700 for my 98 Sahara. Has hard / soft tops 125,000 miles 4.0 automatic. Well I decided I have too many vehicles on the road (3 & a bike) so I am leaving it strictly offroad. I was thinking of posting some pics and maybe a thread but kinda think I may offend some people with the way I abuse my Jeeps lol. I have the 98 Tj 3" lift 97 cherokee 4.5" lift and another parts cherokee that runs and drives. looks good and have fun with it! Jamie
Jamie_209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
bobbylx
2008 WK 

Looks like a nice ride. I would love to see a side view. I'm assuming those are white wagon wheels on it? I have always liked that style of wheel, you just don't see them around too much anymore.
bobbylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner3721 View Post
Thanks midnight!

I picked her back up this morning and she is in immaculate shape after the detail

Will try and get some high-res pics soon!
Your welcome. Look forward to the pictures. So what do you have planned for this Jeep after you get it in top shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie_209 View Post
Looks good Shane! Nice buy man. Mine is nothing like the Jeeps I've seen on here yet lol. I paid $700 for my 98 Sahara. Has hard / soft tops 125,000 miles 4.0 automatic. Well I decided I have too many vehicles on the road (3 & a bike) so I am leaving it strictly offroad. I was thinking of posting some pics and maybe a thread but kinda think I may offend some people with the way I abuse my Jeeps lol. I have the 98 Tj 3" lift 97 cherokee 4.5" lift and another parts cherokee that runs and drives. looks good and have fun with it! Jamie
Post away I enjoy watching people abuse there Jeeps.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Shaner3721
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylx View Post
Looks like a nice ride. I would love to see a side view. I'm assuming those are white wagon wheels on it? I have always liked that style of wheel, you just don't see them around too much anymore.
I'll take a side shot when I get the camera out. Honestly, I couldn't tell you what type of wheels. I come from a place where I eat, breathe, and sleep Saabs.

Shameless plug for my other love

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Your welcome. Look forward to the pictures. So what do you have planned for this Jeep after you get it in top shape.
I am currently not sure what direction to take with this Jeep. I have never delved into Jeeps, wheeling, or the like so we will see... I am planning on moving out west in about a year or so, this might make me want to wheel it. For now, I am just going to do a ton of research (thanks JeepForum.com) and learn everything I can about axles, wb, lifts, winches, and everything else that is so fascinating about these vehicles.
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Jamie_209

Post away I enjoy watching people abuse there Jeeps.[/QUOTE]

I'll get some pics and stuff together. Right now everything is broke but my parts Jeep lol. where should I post it at midnight? I know people get mad if stuff is in the wrong section
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Jamie_209

Here's my Tj stock when I bought it

forumrunner_20120905_214913.jpg
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
Big_Buck
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow ShaneR, that thing is beeeeeutiful!
I drive a brand new Rubi 4 door, but my last wrangler was a 97 Sahara 5 speed.
To this day that thing has a place in my heart right next to my kids.

I wish I was still driving it. Bought it with 155K miles on it and it had 225 on it when I sold it.
Still ran like a top and didn't burn a drop of oil.

Great ride, comfortable Sahara seats, and just a ton of fun.

GREAT buy!
Big_Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
Big_Buck
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hey, advice for you.
I live in New hampshire. They coat the roads in salt & sand every winter. I noticed you live in WI, I would guess they do the same up there.

It's about the frame. If the frame wasn't rotten on my 97 I'd probably still be driving it.

There are big holes right next to yuor rear tires, like 2" holes so the factory could get a socket in there and bolt the frame to the body.
The problem is that sand and junk get kicked up by your rear tires.
The frame then bends down hill toward the rear of the body.
That's where the sand & dirt & salt will sit and hold moisture and rot that frame from the in side out.

If I ever had it to do over again, this is what I would do.
Right near the back of the frame, on the bottom, I would drill a hole. At least 1" diameter.
Big enough to stick a finger in so you could feel around and tell if thre's sand in there.

Then everey now and then I would stick a hose in the hole next to the tire and crank it.
That would flush any debris in the frame out the newly drilled hole.

This is no joke, I would do this in a heart beat if I had it to do over again.

Just my advice.
Big_Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
Shaner3721
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just a quick side photo with the iphone. Will try and get some good pics up in a day or two.

Unread 09-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
mike3770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

like the look of the white wheels on a white tj...lookin good man
mike3770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
Shaner3721
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing to exciting, but I installed this today:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.