Shake & Bake with SHAKEnBLAKE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Shake & Bake with SHAKEnBLAKE

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 09-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Shake & Bake with SHAKEnBLAKE

So I figured I'd summarize all the stuff I've done to the old TJ since I bought it. Got it in January. Already lifted 4 inches with 33 in BFG MT's and stock 3.07's. Automatic. Green. Faded flares.

When I bought it:

first I decided it would be good to join Ohio 4x4 Trailriders and go on the novice ride. Good times. Great club. I'm a member now. I have since taken my Tori on all but one ride. Her most recent ride she even decided she was ready to drive a little.
Tori:

Tori Driving:

My first mod was a CB radio, then tow straps, a replacement stock front bumper because the PO bent the old one. Weather got nice and started taking it out with no top on. Very fun around campus. Blizzard of 08 was very fun. Made a little dough pulling dummies in camaros out around osu campus. then i decided two sets of tires would be god, but went stupid and though "eh, don;t need to flex with street tires, so go big." So much for mpg's. thinking of selling these big 35 inch at's for something smaller:

pulled an idiot move. mom helped put on street tires. I double checked the three i tighten and assumed she tightened hers. lugs came off. tire came 95% off. chewed up inside of tire. scary. late for work:

Crashed. Totaled the other car, Notice the white paint on the hook:
the dude ended up being a customer at work a month later: awkward.

Last edited by SHAKEnBLAKE; 09-16-2008 at 10:51 PM..
SHAKEnBLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

found these guys in the woods. they watched me spend an hour in the jeep cleaning it, so they figured jeeps must be cool. even though they were too sick to walk around, they managed to climb in to relax:

decided to fix smashed up fenders from PO. tube fenders? too hardcore / expensive.
here's my version:

painted my nasty flares, mirrors, license plate bracket, gas tanks surround. looked good, but don;t spill any gas. also notice the ohio 4x4 trailriders sticker and how nice it was of chrysler to leave that space up in front of the doors
didn't know it could look so good:

replaced spider gears and rear brakes. you can see kinda see some pits in this pic of the old spiders:

look at 3 o'clock on the gear of the left.

fixed sagging tailgate with a happy new rampage swingout bumper (the day after crushing stock bumper on rock, causing minor body damage):

I LOVE JEEP'N

Last edited by SHAKEnBLAKE; 09-16-2008 at 11:00 PM..
Unread 09-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Looks good man, keep up the progress!

4.7L Powertech V8 l Iron Rock Offroad 3" Suspension Lift l Bilstein 5125 Shocks l Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer l 17x8 Unique Steel Wheels l LT255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM l Kevins Offroad Transfer Case Skid l Kevins Offroad Roof Rack Tire Carrier l Hella 500 Black Magic

http://ddoffroad.com
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

Looks good!
USN Jeep Club #115
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys!!

biggest gripe with modifications: check out where my cb antenna is. po had it put there. it looks alright, but it gets in the way when trying to roll or flip up my rear window. where should i move it to? bumper?
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Is it drilled into the tub itself? If anything, you could mount it to where the taillight meets the body. I've seen some people do that one.

4.7L Powertech V8 l Iron Rock Offroad 3" Suspension Lift l Bilstein 5125 Shocks l Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer l 17x8 Unique Steel Wheels l LT255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM l Kevins Offroad Transfer Case Skid l Kevins Offroad Roof Rack Tire Carrier l Hella 500 Black Magic

http://ddoffroad.com
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #7
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i was actually just outside with taillight torn apart to see if i could mount it IN the taillight and just drill a hole for it to come out the top. it would also require flipping and bending the metal light mount inside the taillight
only problems: more holes in the tub and water in the taillight.
would look good and be out of the way though.

anyone got any cool 3rd brake ideas? I am thinking the round one in the middle of the spare, but if you look closely you can see that rather than a hole, there is a huge bolt coming through the spare. i'm thinking i just velcro a light on the end of the bolt so the light doesn;t rip off when i remove my spare.
Unread 09-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
redluve1
2008 JK Wrangler 

what happened to the dogs? did ya keep them?
Unread 09-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
BulldogTJ98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are you still runnin the 3.07s? If so, hows that goin for ya, because I wanna run 33s soon. Heres where mounted my CB antenna. Its pretty much where you mounted yours but to the left to avoid interference with the back window. It took some serious measuring to get it as low and to the left as i could and still fit the nut on the other side and not go under the inner fender.

[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Orange"]'98 TJ 4.0L, AX-15 5spd, NP231, RE 4.5 rear, 3"&.75" BB front, JKS discos, 33x12.50 KM2s on Rock Crawlers, 3.73s, Dana30 front, Dana 44 rear, JB Conversions SS SYE, JKS HD Tierod, Warn 8274 Winch, Front Stinger and Rear stinger w/ tire carrier, Rokmen Corners, Aluminum Radiator, LED tailights, Rock Lights, KCs, K&N airfilter, Optima Redtop, Cobra CB and a Sony soundbar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
BulldogTJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i ended up taking the dogs to a shelter. there is thread on them somewhere. the lady at the shelter loves boxers so i know she found them a good home. i would have kept them and tried to find a good home for them, but they needed attention and $$ beyond my abilities to be nursed back to health.

3.07's with 33's. not terrible. sometimes in the thick mud i wish it had a little more low end umph, but i get around alright. it isn't quick to get up to speed, but it runs 75 mph just fine down the highway. it does have the auto, which supposedly makes up for some of the gearing issues with tourque converter. optimally i think i would like to get some 32's for street and some 34's for off road, but that's after the tires i have now wear down.

thanks guys!!
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

been a while. I don't do a whole lot to the jeep while I'm at school, especially since it's always so cold.

I have sold the BFG AT's to a friend and now I DD my MT's. Now it seems like every day a different one is going flat. As far as my antenna goes, I figured I'll just live with it until it needs replaced. I don't feel like making/ reparing holes in the tub.

I have managed to mount my hi-lift on the hood, which still needs minor mods to keep from interfering with the windshield sprayers. Today I installed a hood prop, but don;t know where it is supposed to click in to keep it from flopping down when you don't want it to. I also painted my headlight bezels emerald green to match the body. I had bought some jeep spray paint from www.jeepsareus.com for my fender project, but ended up not using it, so I figured bezels would be a good idea. Pics to follow, but they're on the roomie's camera. Replaced the wiper motor and assembly today. Got the whole thing from davey's jeeps in Salem OH for $50. Recently replaced all u-joints in front DS and axles, a good learning experience for me.

Coming Soon (Hopefully):

Tune-up: plugs, wires, distributor. How often is that supposed to happen? I bought the jeep 13 months ago and haven't done one. Who knows when it last hapenned...

Exhaust. I ripped off about 3 feet of pipe in December, and the muffler has already shed it's skin. I'm thinking maybe even headers because any performance gain would be nice, and it should fix the leak that makes the old 4.0 sound like a tractor.

Shocks? Mine are rusty and old looking. How do you know when shocks are warn out? I have skyjunker hydros, so they probably should get tossed anyway. Anybody hate or love rancho? My uncle works for tenneco and gets rancho stuff half off, edit: dynomax too!

Alignment, ZJ tie rod, steering stabilizer.

Roll cage. After recent pics of rollovers, I like the thought of a safer jeep. I'm thinking a bolt-in roll cage is probably good for me, that way I can do it myself and have some built not bought aspect. This is unless I really learn how to weld in my intro to welding class next quarter... Maybe I'll make a steering box skid. I need some skids...

Why am I telling you this? You may not care, but this seemed like a nice place for me to put my own to-do list.

Last edited by SHAKEnBLAKE; 04-01-2009 at 06:19 PM..
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did a tune up. Completely screwed up the firing order, even though I was very careful. Not sure what happened, but the jeep sure sounded a lot like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with the wires all screwed up.

Requested a build sheet from Chrysler. Funny story. I have a pic of my vin on my cell so I don;t have to look it up when I'm ordering parts or something. Well between the crappy pic and the cross line in a VIN's zero, I though it was an 8. My build sheet gave me a black TJ with a 5spd, hardtop, and 3.73's. Sounded nice, but I know better. I figured out the problem and un-stole that other dude's TJ. Here's mine. Build sheets are les exciting than I anticipated:

...well ****... I apparently deleted mine and kept the other dude's. Anyone reading this entire thread at once has got to love the fact that everything I do takes 2+ tries...
Unread 04-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

got my real build sheet, just for giggles:

Cloth High-Back Bucket SeatsSaddleConvenience GroupMonotone PaintSport Decor Group4.0L Engine(ERH)/3Spd Auto Trans(DGG81 Amp Alternator500 Amp Maintenance Free BatteryPower Front Disc/Rear Drum BrakesHigh Back Bucket SeatsEasy Access Passenger SeatReclining Front SeatsRear Folding SeatNext Generation Front Air Bags**Front Seat Area CarpetRear Seat/Wheelhouse/Cargo CarpetCargo Tie Down LoopsSport Bar w/Rear PaddingFull Length Floor ConsoleAll 3-Speed Automatic Transmissions3-Spd. Automatic 32RH TransmissionLock-Up Torque ConverterCommand-Trac Part Time 4WD SystemDana 30/186MM Front Axle3.07 Axle Ratio175MM Rear AxleAll Engines4.0L Power Tech I-6 EngineTinted Windshield GlassPlastic Front Door WindowHalf Metal Doors with LocksLeft Manual MirrorRight Manual MirrorSwing-Away MirrorsAll Vehicles W/O Power MirrorsHeater w/Instrument Pnl VentilationInstrument Cluster w/Tach100 MPH Primary SpeedometerVar Intermittent Windshield WipersDual Note Electric Horns12V Auxiliary Power OutletLocking Glove BoxSTRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLORSTRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLORSTRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLORSTRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLORCourtesy LampsUnderhood LampHalogen HeadlampsCHMSL LampPainted Front BumperBlack Rear BumperBumper ExtensionsChrome Headlamp BezelsBlack Front Frame OverlayBody Color GrilleSport Bar w/Side PaddingFederal EmissionsEVAP Control System19 Gallon Fuel TankEmerald Green Pearl CoatEmerald Green Pearl CoatAll Radio Equipped VehiclesAM/FM Cassette Radio4 SpeakersFixed Long Mast AntennaPower Rack and Pinion Steering2-Spoke Soft Feel Steering WheelNormal Duty SuspensionFront Stabilizer BarFront and Rear Stabilizer BarsTilt Steering ColumnFull Size Spare TireOutside Tire CarrierP215/75R15 OWL All Terrain TiresGoodyear Brand TiresSpice Soft Top15X7.0 Aluminum 5-Spoke WheelsMatching Spare WheelAll Aluminum WheelsDelete Remote Start SystemFuel Tank Skid Plate ShieldTransfer Case Skid Plate ShieldTethered Fuel Filler CapBuild To U.S. Mkt. SpecificationsManuf Statement of Origin8 Additional Gallons of GasSpring - Left RearSpring - Left FrontSpring - Right RearSpring - Right Front

Wow does anyone know how to copy paste so that it will post stuff on separate lines like it is in my build sheet?
Unread 05-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #14
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Any new updates with your Jeep man?
Unread 05-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh Hi.
I thought I had been talking to myself

Nothing too crazy. I've been wheelin it lately. See lots of pics here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f326/wheelin-ne-ohio-wellsville-trip-778762/
<<
I burned out my cig lighter running the CB and PA from it, so I had to break down and actually wire the CB to the battery. I bought some 12ga. speaker wire so that the + and - would be one wire. New cig outlet and bezel from dealership: $70. Same piece from Davey's Jeeps: $15 (glad I have family in Salem so I don;t have to pay 13 for shipping)

Tonight I am looking at and probably buying this bumper:

What do ya think?

Tomorrow night I am buying an XRC8 to go on said bumper.

I also have a guy sending some diff guards my way...

Oh, and I ordered frame tie-ins for my rear bumper so that I will feel comfortable tugging myself out with it, and maybe towing smaller stuff.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.