ShadowNWPA 91ish YJ Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > ShadowNWPA 91ish YJ Build Thread

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #76
JeepGrinder

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Really great fab & welding skills on the frame & sheet metal work. This is going to be a nice custom rig. Subscribed.

Unread 06-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #77
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGrinder View Post
Really great fab & welding skills on the frame & sheet metal work. This is going to be a nice custom rig. Subscribed.
Thanks for the compliment, hopefully I'll get done sometime this year.
Unread 07-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #78
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here's some pics from the work done at the end of April/early May... Filled the rear armor hinge and fuel door holes. Welding them in wasn't planned too well and resulted in some warpage to be addressed later. I also filled a couple bolt holes in the armor that I plan to relocate a couple inches upward (the ones that fall in the boxed area at the rear bottom of the tub). The one at the top - that was an accident that I'm gonna have to re-drill and countersink.

Unread 07-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #79
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Another of the lonely jeep locked in the garage...

Unread 07-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #80
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The area by the former fuel filler and the long side of the passenger side rear armor were the worst parts of the distortion. I put some heat (acetylene torch) on the back side opposite the fender tube and skin welds to relieve some of the pull, then on the passenger side put in the heats you can see there with the white discoloration (residue from the coating it came with). Then tried clamping and heat by the fuel door patch.. not much success. Lately I've gotten back to working on it and made several cuts - one in the vertical (if it were mounted) and three across that about 4" apart to let it have a place to give as I beat it straight with a stubby 4# hammer. I tacked it back up and though I welded it slow enough to not pull back to the bow again - wrong. Came back to it a couple days later and did it much slower with more cuts and a bunch of clamps and bracing. Forgot to get pics of that part, but the final distortion was less than 1/8" inward - I think I can live with that. Before I got back to all this though.. after the pics taken in early may.. I picked up some metal jigsaw blades to cut the holes for the lights. I hate HATE hole saws on drills - they either break the saw, the arbor, or your wrist - so I avoid them. I wish I had a plasma, but made due with the jigsaw (it sucked) - it took an hour to cut all 4 of the 4.5" lights for the rear. It's 4.5" because I'm going with the flange mount lights from superbrightleds.com (I think the site is something like that). On this most recent burst of progress I ground the holes to fit the lights, filled a couple areas where the holes were out-of-round with some weld. I also cut the TJ filler hole, this time getting the circle well established with a cutting wheel then cutting the rest of the way with the torch - shoulda did that with the other four. I also cut the front bottom end of the rear fenders outer tubes back away from where they would meet the rocker plates by 1/2" then welded them shut with a cap made of the same sheet as the fender skins. During all this I also decided to add a diagonal brace from the lower area of the plate that mounts the front fenders to the grille. It just seemed empty there and more likely to damage should I find a tree in my way through the woods.

I'm kinda leaning toward red on top, white on bottom.. but here's the test fits - (All these holes will be transferred to the tub sheet metal once the fenders are painted and done.)

And the fronts -

After this I think I'm ready to degrease, blast, por15, paint, and maybe put some monstaliner on them... then get moving on the reassembly of the rest of the jeep.
Unread 07-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #81
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Progress...about time. The fenders look real good.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #82
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Progress...about time. The fenders look real good.
Thanks, I'm hoping the appearance improves alot once they're painted.
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #83
JeepGrinder

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work, as usual. About hole saws, try clamping a wood backer to the sheet metal. Keeps the pilot drill straight and the cutter won't grab so much.

By the way, I found a nearby supplier for frame tubing 4 x 2.5 x 11ga, "Metals for a Steel" located in Kentucky. I'm expecting some to arrive today. They do small orders online, and prompt shipping.
Unread 07-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #84
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGrinder View Post
Nice work, as usual. About hole saws, try clamping a wood backer to the sheet metal. Keeps the pilot drill straight and the cutter won't grab so much.

By the way, I found a nearby supplier for frame tubing 4 x 2.5 x 11ga, "Metals for a Steel" located in Kentucky. I'm expecting some to arrive today. They do small orders online, and prompt shipping.
Thanks, and most of my use of hole saws involved thicker material than sheet metal (like the heavy 3/16 plate in the armor), still.. a plasma is ideal unless there's flammable stuff on the other side of the cut. For the light holes in the tub I think the jigsaw will work fine, or maybe the zip cutter Dad has for his dremel tool (it's like a drill bit but cuts from the side).

I usually just get my steel from the local supply house unless there's a sweet deal to be found elsewhere. There's a decent number of steel distributors and processors around the Pittsburgh and Youngstown area that offer pretty good prices since you're further up the supply chain.. you just need a truck that can haul it and a place to put the extra since 20' of pipe, angle, or tube is about the minimum size. At the local place they'll cut you smaller pieces but the cost goes up (per cut and by complexity). The extra pipe I bought for the rails on the rocker plates and extra bracing came in a 21' stick (cut in two for the trip home). It would have been maybe $6 less for a 10' piece and I've used about 75% of it so far on various things.
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #85
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I love those tail lights. good job!! x2 on the red on top, looks good.

Warpage sucks. I patched under my driver door, came out great, looked awesome, then about 6 months later I went to put my doors on and the driver side wouldnt fit... d'oh!

I've read a bunch about how to keep warpage down (havent tried it yet),but I heard you can use an alum or copper block as a heat sink, and tack-tack-tack with lots of time in between. sucks cause I'm impatient and want to burn the whole thing in one pass. that's the hard part.
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #86
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, warpage is just part of welding that I should have known better than to not figure for. Impatience is starting to set in with wanting this thing done. I'm planning to go put my sandblaster back together tonight and get everything (rocker plates, front bumper, front fenders, and rear armor/fenders) blasted so I can coat them tomorrow.
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #87
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
Yea, warpage is just part of welding that I should have known better than to not figure for. Impatience is starting to set in with wanting this thing done. I'm planning to go put my sandblaster back together tonight and get everything (rocker plates, front bumper, front fenders, and rear armor/fenders) blasted so I can coat them tomorrow.
I'd love to be able to sandblast. what do you use for equipment? I think my compressor is too small to pull it off.
#theneverendingaxe
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #88
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskiE View Post

I'd love to be able to sandblast. what do you use for equipment? I think my compressor is too small to pull it off.
I have the 130# pressure pot from harborfreight hooked to a vertical dessicant air dryer and a 60* gallon 3hp* air compressor. That I hate sandblasting slightly less than re-painting is the only reason I'm doing it.

(* not sure on the exact size, its from a truckload sale they have hf type stuff at, big compressor though.)
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #89
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
I have the 130# pressure pot from harborfreight hooked to a vertical dessicant air dryer and a 60* gallon 3hp* air compressor. Thay I hate sandblasting slightly less than re-painting is the only reason I'm doing it.

(* not sure on the exact size, its from a truckload sale they have hf type stuff at, big compressor though.)
cool. yeah I doubt my little 26 gal could swing it! haha.

-E
#theneverendingaxe
Unread 07-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #90
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, I worry about this one being able to cut it. I have to run about 200 feet of air line to the dryer then another 20 to the pot. Everytime I go up to the garage I can smell the oil in the air the compressor is burning off from the workout it's getting.

The end is in sight though, I finished blasting the front fenders and rocker armor. Pics tomorrow maybe. Have to do the rear fenders and touch up the front bumper tomorrow, the girlfriend said she'd come up and put paint on what's blasted so that will go quicker.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.