When I was making the previous updates I was on a fabrication kick so I went and showed the bumper, rocker, and tube fender stuff in a row. Here's the rest of what went on with the rear end.
To start with I procured a used XJ shaft from Simpson Family Jeeps, then took it to Point Spring in Meadville. I had it shortened and three new u-joints put in for about $110. I'll have to clean and paint it sometime but it came out nice, their driveshaft guy has skills.
Before doing the driveshaft I had to get the transfer case on, while the tub was off (again) I installed and filled it. I'm going from memory here but the tub was on and off a couple times that night between fitting, installing stuff, and whatever else. After I had the driveshaft ready I set the tub on, filled it with fenders, tools, and whatever weight I could find. I adjusted the pinion angle to a little below the tc yoke then welded the perches after getting the axle as close to center as I was satisfied with.
I had made my own rear shock mounts from square tube. I had Dad mill the radius if the axle tube into it and did the rest of the cutting and drilling. The tube was 1/4" wall... very stout. I welded those on, then went and made a couple little welds connecting the splitter block on the dakota (I think) soft line from the frame down to the axle. The exhaust was fit back on with the tub in position. I tacked it in place after I reinstalled the heat shields which had been blasted and painted with high-temp paint (some caliper paint, some grill paint).
Once everything was tacked on the exhaust I pulled the tub again and welded it around. I just kept the front end of the exhaust it came with for now, but the muffler and tailpipe were needed so I can get it on the road. Once I do the Mercedes diesel swap it will all be replaced.
As seen, once all the welding and bolting was done I went about putting a couple coats of rustoleum black on anything that needed it including the perches, shock mounts, new crossmember, gas tank mounts, and backing plates.
I also ran brake and fuel lines while I was at it, and with this being mostly done in one night the brakes were last. I'll probably end up replacing them because my double-flares have issues. We'll see if they hold or leak when I have the rest of the brakes put back on. I still need to do the front and install the booster.