ShadowNWPA 91ish YJ Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > ShadowNWPA 91ish YJ Build Thread

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #31
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

While I was waiting on the TC to be repaired I started on the other stuff. It followed the same logic as when the frame was nice I wanted a nice tub.. well when the tub was nice I wanted a nice interior. The dash was scrubbed, degreased, and painted along with the door panels, speaker pods, and anything else inside that was ugly and faded. I used some vinyl/plastic paint that Autozone happened to have the wrong price on (-$2/can ) and some adhesion promoter. Rope and bits of wire hangers are a great help in keeping the crud off the parts while painting.

When I went to install the speakers I found that neither pairs of marine speakers would fit in the roll bar pods or the centerpod. So I went back to autozone and picked up some cheap ones I won't be too upset about getting wet.

When installing the door panels I found the pull handles to be unacceptable. I had painted them with the rest of the stuff but they looked like crap so I pitched them in the spare parts pile. New ones were made out of some aluminum strap I picked up at Tractor Supply. I used a hammer, cutoff wheel, a drill, and a vise to shape them, then a piece of 120 grit sandpaper to make them look nice getting all the tool marks out.

Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #32
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks Sweet i love the color

Btw you looking to get rid of the carpeting ??

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #33
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks awesome! I'll never be able to understand how people can take on projects with so much rust! And I live in Maine! Nice work, though. Makes me want to learn to weld...

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #34
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Painting parts outside on the first day of winter in Pa, something not right about that.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #35
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Painting parts outside on the first day of winter in Pa, something not right about that.
This was done over the summer. I'm just now putting together the build thread. Unless you mean the patching I did last winter... That was primered to keep the surface rust off and I threw it out anyways.
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #36
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage56 View Post
Looks Sweet i love the color

Btw you looking to get rid of the carpeting ??
Thanks, and the carpet found its way into a garbage can at Bantam.
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #37
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja View Post
Looks awesome! I'll never be able to understand how people can take on projects with so much rust! And I live in Maine! Nice work, though. Makes me want to learn to weld...
Rusty is ok as long as its cheap, and welding isn't hard to get the hang of once you get past the idea of enough electricity to kill you making molten metal inches from your fingers.
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #38
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

how have i missed this build! i suddenly feel like less of a man for buying a new frame iinstead of continuing to cut and weld chunks of steel back to it.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #39
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I know me too. Since I know hes done i keep waiting for updates, looking good so far!
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #40
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
I know me too. Since I know hes done i keep waiting for updates, looking good so far!
Thanks, it's not done yet though. I Just can't do any more work on it for a bit because of a project I'm inspecting out of town. I'll probably put up more tonight.
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #41
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

We'll be waiting

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #42
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

After the rocker plates were put together I started on the front bumper. It will eventually have a bumper on it, but there's other things higher on the list. I started with a piece of 3"x4"x3/16 wall square tube. I cut it to I think 52" so it would be wide enough to keep some of the trees out from between the tires and the frame. The clevis mounts are 1"x2.5" bar stock that I got my dad to mill the outer radius and 7/8" (or 3/4 maybe) hole into with the Bridgeport. I have 4 altogether, two for the front and two for the back bumper. I measured and marked the inner and outer surfaces of the front end of the frame rail, then measured to center the bumper. I kinda designed it as I went, so the pictures will have to tell some of the story. holes were cut with a cutting wheel/grinder in the front and back of the bumper for each clevis point. I welded them front and back with 1/4"ish fillets. The bumper was angled back on the sides by cutting a wedge shaped notch into the back side tapering as it went to the front face of the tube, then heated them up and bent, tacking and welding them when they were equal. The welds were ground flush. For mounting i made two 1/2" thick plates with 4 holes laid out in each. I tacked them to the back of the bumper then drilled through to the front (on the Bridgeport... useful machine that one) in the tap size for a 1/2" bolt. Then I ran a tap through each of the 8 holes ... another awesome toy in Dad's garage is a pneumatic tapper on an arm mounted to the Bridgeport. Then I drilled the front holes out to 1/2", bolts were installed and the tacks were ground out. Then I ground the frame ends clean and welded the 1/2" threaded plates to the frame. Somewhere in there i decided to make an angle cut on the ends and made a plate with a hole to hold an amber marker/turn signal 3/4" LED light.

Unread 12-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #43
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

More bumper pics...

I guess that's alot of pics for a bumper but I like how it turned out. Next update will probably be about tube fenders when I get to it.
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #44
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

you just helped me solve how i am going to mount my front bumper when i fabricate it.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #45
daddyjeep87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed, That is a very simple yet very stout attachment. I may consider welding a nut to the bumper and running a bolt in from the back side instead of having bolts exposed from the front. Just my preference, not saying there is anything wrong with the exposed bolts.
daddyjeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.