Back to building the build thread...
So now everything, or most of it anyways, is painted. When I painted the tub I also did the hood, windshield frame, half doors, seat risers, and most of the other small stuff. So the windshield got put back on and I kinda got ahead of myself with the roll bar not repainted yet. So I masked the whole thing off again and painted the rollbar with rattlecan rustoleum black. Somewhere in this mess the wiring reinstallation was started.. I had worked out a deal with a friend - outboard a scramblers front springs in exchange for help with the wiring.
When I went to reinstall the door pins I found the part that holds the actual pin was cracked on both, rusty, and faded. I ordered new ones from CSE Offroad. When the pins arrived they had sent two of one side and none of the other, I called them and they sent a correct one right away and told me just to keep the duplicate they had sent me.
Then I drilled and tapped the lower half of the windshield hinges for the CJ style mirrors. I decided to go with stainless hardware in several areas to prevent rust. Placement was guesswork but I think it went alright.
A pic of the painted rollbar...
So now I start the fabrication of the rocker plates. I have a local shop that sells steel, pipe, and general welding supplies - tractors too. So I took measurements and ordered 3/16 plate, 6" (i think) wide and 54" long, two of em. Also a 10' piece of 1 1/2" wide 3/16" thick strap, and 20 feet of pipe for the step/rail portion on these. Here's the start of fitting..
I just ran a fillet with the strap and plate edges at 90* to each other. Then ground them smooth.
Here's the back end where the Smittybilt rear corner wrap overlapped it. Not sure why they put that sideburn looking part at the bottom there but it got lopped off. I then traced the shape of the front edge of the wheel opening onto the back side of the rocker plate. The plate was then cut off to match.
While in this process I noticed the part of the corner wrap that follows the door opening.. didn't follow the opening. So I clamped them back to back and ground the non-matching parts to match.
Then I tacked up the pipe after I had made the miter cuts with a cutting wheel and a vise. Cutting round stuff without a decent vise really sucks and is dangerous, I don't recommend it.
Then I welded.
Now that my heavy stuff is getting in position I started preparing to get the drivetrain put back together. I had hired out the installation of my SYE. I got it back from being installed and one of the bolt locations looked like it had a broken bolt that someone had tried to drill. I thought I'd take advantage of their work and ran a spiral extractor into it.. the broken drilled bolt turned out to be a plastic insert of some sort and it blew out the side of that mounting location.
I then procured another case half and sent the TC back to have the guts swapped into the new half.