A sexy green 99 TJ / Build in progress - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A sexy green 99 TJ / Build in progress

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 03-15-2015, 12:15 AM   #1
OMNIMAN
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A sexy green 99 TJ / Build in progress

So after reading plenty of other build threads, which I have thoroughly enjoyed, I have decided to start mine.

I'm still new to the JF so moderator's please don't ban / block / sent me to Siberia if I post something in the incorrect place.

A little about my TJ:
99 sport 4.0 I6
180 k miles
Front Dana 30
Rear Dana 35 (I know b/c the rubber fill plug)
32x11.50x15 on a leveled stock suspension. 3.5" Lift from DPG and 33x12.50's coming soon.

This is right after I installed my Quadratec Stealth Led headlights (http://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0002.htm) and my Barricade Trail Force HD front bumper (http://www.extremeterrain.com/barric...m=&XTID=J20851) which are getting pretty popular. These were some of my X-Mas presents my lovely lady got me.

Parking lot action shot

Added a 21" curves series light bar I bought from SuperbrightLEDS. Also got amber lens covers for it cause as we all know white LED light sucks in rainy / foggy weather.

Still have to make some minor adjustments

As you can tell I'm kind of a lighting nerd. Gotsta have bright lights.
I decided that I wanted a powerful set of driving / fog lights to replace the incandescent Hella fog lights I had. I reluctantly went with some Westin 09-12010A 7" LED driving lamps. 7200 lumens from each lamp. (http://westinautomotive.com/westin/v...231&vehicleId=)

These are some expensive high grade lamps so I searched around online before I pulled the trigger and was able to save a good amount.

As you can see I was already getting everything prepped and sanded for my MONSTALINER exterior project.

Last edited by OMNIMAN; 03-15-2015 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: wanted to add more
OMNIMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
OMNIMAN
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sprayed on MONSTALINER exterior

My paint is almost 15 years old and although the body is in fairly good shape with no rust I decided I wanted to do something different. Have used monstaliner on the fenders and in the tub a couple years ago and have been a big fan ever since so I decided to do the entire exterior.

Order2 the 1 gallon tintable kit in Jungle green. And two x 1 qt black kits.

The prep work was slow going as I only have my two days off a week to get anything done.... but prep is the most important part.

After sanding the tid bits by hand that I couldn't get to with the power sander I wiped everything down with MEK and let it dry.Then, of course taped and masked everything off I didn't want painted.

I mixed all the contents into an extra 2 gallon bucket according to directions. I also added and mixed about 4 oz. of MEK to thin it out a little.

When I ordered my kit I also ordered a shutz gun and rented an air compressor from home depot. Set my output to about 80 psi and started spraying.

Did 3 coats total with about an hour of set time between coats. Let it set about 2 hours and pulled the tape and newspaper off...

There's no "stripe" it's just the lighting.

The door hinges and fenders are going to be repainted black in a couple weeks utilizing the black kit I got. As you can see the color and texture turned out awesomeB]

Also went ahead and painted the billet gas cap cover. Got it from Extreme Terrain and hated the shiny, glossy finish so I did my own using rustoleum truck bed liner spray can.

3 coats for that matte textured look!

My next update Ill be putting everything back together and trying to figure out what to do about refinishing the tan hard top. Havent decided if I want to go with the Monstaliner on the hard top or not yet.

Last edited by OMNIMAN; 03-15-2015 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Unread 03-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That looks sweet! I just recently Raptor lined the inside and outside back half of Mine. My 99 is black. Now Im thinking about Raptoring the rest of the Jeep from the doors forward with orange! Not quite sure yet! Also kicking around doing a camo wrap. Time will tell. Keep up the great work!
rinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
OMNIMAN
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinking View Post
That looks sweet! I just recently Raptor lined the inside and outside back half of Mine. My 99 is black. Now Im thinking about Raptoring the rest of the Jeep from the doors forward with orange! Not quite sure yet! Also kicking around doing a camo wrap. Time will tell. Keep up the great work!
If youre not sure what to go with I would personally do the wrap first to see how you like it... if you don't it's easier to take off than the spray on. PICS PLEASE!
Unread 03-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
OMNIMAN
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Some extra pics

Have a few extra pics that show the Monstaliner texture a little better. Some of the pics it looks a little chunky but I assure you its much smoother than what the lighting makes it look like in the pics.

And heres the black hood vent cover Ill be spraying with rusto bed liner
Unread 03-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

The lights look great on that bumper! I really love the Monstaliner. Can't wait to see more pics as the build progresses!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
WIN a Supercharged 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
itsnotmyjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any pictures outside?

The YJ I had was lined with something inside and out. Was great on the trails. Didn't show scratches at all and was very durable.
Unread 03-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #8
jeep50

Sweet color!
jeep50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
OMNIMAN
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A small update

Thanks for the love. No pics outside yet as I want to get it completed before I get it outside... plus I want to give it at least a week to cure due to the random weather here in Tennessee.

I went back today and looked at the end results of the green Monsta. At first I thought it may be a little thick and had approximately 1/4 of a gallon left over after 3 coats. I should have waited another hour or two and applied another coat for thickness sake. I'm happy with how it looks but would advise others to at least do 4 to 5 coats.

While buttoning everything up I manages to strip the hood hinge bolts.
Was looking around on the forum and apparently this is a common problem due to the flange that flops around underneath the hood causing the bolt threading to not catch just right resulting in stripping them. Went to the Home depot and picked-up some stainless steel replacement bolts.

Also got part of the new hinge latches on. Waiting until I get the black Monsta sprayed before I get the rest on. For those of you who do Diy spray jobs I'd say take the latches off. They are easier than they look and the rubbery texture doesn't hold paint well.

Yes, that black stuff is two year old Monstaliner and it's still going strong. Tough as nailes to get off once it cures properly.

Slid the doors and the windshield lights back on and decided that on spray day I'm gonna coat the light brackets as well. It's starting to look like a jeep again....
Also ordered a set of vinyl '4.0' and 'Jeep' decals to go here.

I'm thinking about taking something similar to this ...

and painting it in black on either the hood or on the side maybe were the '4.0' would go...

Tried to get a final pick in the sunlight to show the color better but it was too bright outside and too dark inside and didn't want to hook my battery back up and mess with starting it.
Unread 03-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
OMNIMAN
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lol

My buddy made this... thought it was funny.
Unread 03-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #11
AZdEvilYJ
RIP Anticanman

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Ive been waiting to see some jungle love! Turned out great! good job.

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
OMNIMAN
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Heres an update of the finished product

forumrunner_20150326_105408.jpg
Unread 03-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
OMNIMAN
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update w/ pictures in day light wo/ hard top

So here we go...
Jungle love sprayed on Monstaliner with Barricade corner armor from Extreme Terrain...
... Trim finished with either black Monstaliner or Rusto rattle can bed liner.

Black decals from OutlawCustomdesigns.com

[B][/Rear tail light covers, Rear bumper 7/8" D-ring mounts, bumper end caps and gas cap door cover all from ExtremeTerrain.comB]

Reverse black flag from e-bay.

So there she is fellas...
Now time to shop for a winch and some rear netting and possible some 33"s
Unread 03-31-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How is the texture of spraying? Does it feel rough to the touch? Do you think when it gets dirty it will clean off well?
Also you said that the black on the fenders is 2 years old. Did you spray that as well or roll it on? If you rolled it do you like it better sprayed or rolled?
I really want to get my jeep done this summer and cant decide if I would rather spray or roll.
Full Metalcloak. Poison Spyder Trailgate & Rear Bumper. Custom Front Bumper. 3.5" Black Diamond. 35" Mtz. KC lights. Delta Headlights. Corbeau. Supper 44 Flowmaster Diamond plate. Savvy Tail lights. Superbrightleds.com. 8.8. 95 Booster w/ 1-1/8" MC
ThreeHeadedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Very nice job, congrats!
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.