I wanted to share my Jeep with everyone. I'm calling it an "Ownership" thread rather than a "Build" thread, since I'm not really building anything at this time, just making small improvements. See my intro thread for basic specs, plans, and pics from when I first bought the Jeep:
While it says Sahara on the side, it's really an SE. Somewhere in it's life somebody put a Sahara sticker and pinstripe on it. While I cant stand it when people mislabel their cars to make them look nicer than they are, the sticker is staying for now. I paid for a Sahara so thats what I'm driving lol.
After four months so far, I'm pretty happy with it, I just wish I could drive it more. It takes me pretty long to finish jobs due to money and time constraints. The engine and trans are stock and I plan to keep them that way. I like the 4" suspension with 33's, so that setup will remain as well. I need to make some "adjustments" to the sway bar, track bars, and bumpstops. It really appears that this lift was designed for zero flex.
My major future plans are to install a SYE so I can raise transfer case back up where it should be. Then I want to upgrade the axles, change the gearing, and add traction devices. The plans are a rear Ford 8.8 in the distant future. The front I will probably just strengthen up a bit.
I should have taken more pics for what I have done so far, but I will take more as the build continues.
The first thing I did was rip out all the carpet, roll bar pads, center console, etc for cleaning. The Jeep was filthy everywhere. I tried to clean the carpets, but the only one worth saving is the back cargo area carpet. The rest of the floor will receive some type of lining eventually. I also removed the dual steering stabilizer, ipod controller, stickers, and rear 6x9 speakers in boxes that were mounted to the rear wheel wells.
Replaced the coolant temp sensor. Removed the stock sound bar and took it apart so I can replace the speakers in it. Lubed all the moving body parts (doors hinges latches seats etc) with some lithium spray grease.
Then I cleaned the Jeep up enough to get it dirty again and took it to the Badlands Offroad Park. Here are some pics of it clean. The TJ on 35's belongs to my uncle.
On the trip I broke both front axle u-joints and shaft ends. Other than that I was very happy with the way it performed. There are some pics from the trip in this album:
Badlands 8-30-09 pictures by hbflash - Photobucket
Since I got a good deal on some XJ one piece axle shafts, we eliminated the CAD. It wasnt until after driving with axle lube spraying out that I learned that you have to add a seal for the conversion. So I bought the Seven Springs Customs CAD elimination kit. I just finished installing the kit and seal, it was a pretty easy install. Passenger side now has a used XJ shaft with new Brute Force U-joint and a parts store new hub bearing assembly. Drivers side has a used but good condition shaft and U-joint from an unknown junkyard vehicle.
Changed engine oil. Replaced clutch master cylinder and front brake pads. Lubricated the chassis. Tightened the driveshaft ujoint straps (they were loose enough to turn by hand!) Cleaned K&N filter. I dont really care for the K&N kit, but I am keeping it for no other reason that its already there. I will be putting an Outerwears filter cover on it.
This brings me up to date to my current projects below:
Since I bought the Jeep, the speedometer hasnt worked. I'm making some progress on that. I tried a different speed sensor to no avail. I removed the ribbon cable behind the gauges and it doesnt seem to be in TOO bad of shape. I will be checking the continuity and trying to fix that as well.
My uncle hooked me up with this used rear bumper for a good price. I was told its a Road Armor, maybe somebody can verify the brand. It's for a TJ but it looks like it will mount up.
Well I was poking around with a screwdriver cleaning out the bumper mounting holes, scraping some rust off the rear of the frame, and I poked some rust THROUGH the frame. Looks like I'm in need of some frame repair. This will be done before I mount the bumper. I bought the DaveyGeeps kit. I just need to get it welded in.
The rubber fuel line by the tank was leaking a steady drip with the engine running. So I cut the hose back some, replaced the clamps and fuel filter. My drip is now a spray. No fun. I hope to get into fixing that this week. If I cant get it fixed I will have to drop the tank and replace the rubber hose in it's entirety.
Once the above issues are resolved I will be happy just to be able to drive it again. I havent decided what to do next. It wont be anything major as I am trying to save up for a trailer.
I got some useful stuff for Christmas from my wonderful family: JKS disconnects, Harbor Freight Farm Jack, and Bushings for when I fix my frame I can replace them.
Thanks for checking out my thread. Questions/Comments/Suggestions/Criticisms welcome.