Scott and yet another LJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Scott and yet another LJ build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Scottt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Scott and yet another LJ build

Scotts LJ build up
Everyone is doing it, so why not me too?
Plus, it should give me some good documents of my progress over the months and years.
I’m not going to go into great detail, so if you have comments or questions, please post up.
I have been without a Jeep for the last 6 years. Now that my kids are older, it’s time to get another. This one is going to be more family friendly than my last YJ on tons. I need to make it capable, yet fun for the family to get around in. I decided a two door LJ Rubicon would be a good place to start. Plenty of room for the kids, locked up front and back and a 4:1 T-case, perfect. I decided to get an automatic so my wife could enjoy it too.
After shopping around a while, I found this one in Dallas. Three days later it was in my drive. It has a few good items to get me started. From best I can tell, it has a 3.5 RE LA lift, crappy 33’s, a winch, solid rear bumper with a tire carrier and sliders.
This is how it started.

1jeep.jpg  
Scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Scottt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Fist I needed to do a little maintenance on the Jeep. It had a left rear axle seal leak that needed to be fixed. Done.
Then I moved to the next issue, worn out shocks. But along the way someone decided to weld on new lower shock mounts, wtf? So for the time being, I cut the extra mounts off, and trimmed the lower bucket to keep them from rubbing. At some point down the road I will look at outboarding or dealing with them another way, but for now this will work fine. It will be nice to get the right shock back in the rear too. What were they thinking??
I replaced the Rancho 9000's with Doetsch Baja Ryders
rearshock.jpg   oldmount1.jpg   cutmount.jpg   wheel1.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Scottt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Next is a new radio with an ipod plug and new speakers, whoopie, no big thing. 4 new polk 5.25 speakers and a sony xploid deck with the factory sub. It sounds good enough for me. Done
Next comes new shoes. I went with a set of Micky Thompson Radial MTZ's in a 35" The first set took about 2lbs each on the balance. I sent them back, got a second set and they balanced out much better. Each tire took less than 6oz each.
jeep1.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Scottt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Next I did the locker bypass mod. I bridged the ground wire to the front and rear locker wire behind the dash. I haven't decided if I'm going to wire in a safety toggle switch yet; I don't really see the need for one. Now I can stay locked in four low AND in four high. Cheap and easy.

Now I need to decide what to do with the goofy looking fender flares. I'm thinking about going with a 4" metal cloak overline flats. I don't want to shell out the cash for those, but they sure do look nice. I was thinking about a set of Xenon flat flares too, I'm on the fence with those right now.

I also picked up a set of used 37" BFG KM2's that I got a great deal on. They are going to set in the shop for now, but I have them just incase
I would need to find some new 17" wheels too.
37-bfg.jpg   37bfg2.jpg  
Unread 05-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice. 37s already (almost). There are a lot of picture threads on this forum that show both fender you mention. Welcome back to jeepin!
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Scottt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Mike, its good to finally be back.

So I have a few more minor changes over the last week or so.
First I pulled off the oversize Bushwacker fender flares and cut up some stock flares to hold me over a short bit. My front Metal Cloaks are on order and should be here in a couple weeks... but for now
img_1149.jpg  
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Scottt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Next, I had a shorty front bumper make local, painted and swapped it out. Looks pretty good if I say so myself.
bumper.jpg   img_1155.jpg   img_1163.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.