Schwinns '93 YJ- Insert overtime here -> 0lll0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Schwinns '93 YJ- Insert overtime here -> 0lll0

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, my names Josh, I live in Eastern Connecticut and recently bought a '93 YJ. This is not my first jeep... or my second... but it is my first YJ. I'll get the boring history out of the way so we can get to some pictures... in my short 25 years of life I have owned a '99 TJ, '86 CJ7 and a '72 CJ5. The '99 was my DD for about 5 years before I sold it for a commuter cars, the '86 was my first attempt at a frame off restoration that inevitably ended in me selling it before it was running, and the '72 I drove for a summer and realized it was too nice/rust free to offroad or drive in the winter. And that leads us to the '93, after selling the '72 I decided I wanted a jeep I could use both as a DD part time and something I could offroad. My plan is not to do a full restoration but to slowly build the jeep over a span of a few years into a capable offroad rig. I have very little mechanical experience so there will be a lot of learning involved so feel free to chime in when I totally screw something up. This thread will help me keep track of my progress and to help set some future goal along with keeping me in check so I don't go overboard. I appreciate any input and I'm sure I will have questions along the way. I will make sure to take pictures of everything I do.

Alright now that I have that out of the way here are the specs on the jeep.... It's a '93 YJ with a 4.0, stock axles, 4" RC lift, 3" pucks, 33x12.5 duratracs, 8k winch, hardtop/soft top, full/half doors. The jeep has spent most of it's life in Florida and is mostly rust free. Only issues are the passenger rear wheel cylinder is leaking, u-joints are junk and the 4.0 is dripping after its turned off.

Future Plans:
-Replace 3" pucks with 1" mounts (Done)
-Seat covers as the seat are a mess (Done)
-New bumpers (Done
-8.8 rear axle -Lockers (Purchased)
-SYE -Round taillights
-Full armor(fender/slider/rear) (In Process)
-On-Board Air
-Fog Lights (done, more to be added)
-35x12.5R15
-Recovery attachment points (on bumpers?) (Done)
-I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff I am currently at work so I will upload pictures when I get home....

*I purchased the Jeep about a month ago and have done a few things so I will catch us up in the next few post as to where I am currently at. *

*EDIT 3/27/15* I realized in my initial post I never explained the name of my thread. Being 25 with a mortgage, student loans, truck payments and saving for a wedding there isn't too much leftover in my normal salary for jeep parts. So when I took the job I made a deal with my fiancé that 1/2 my OT can go to the Jeep while the other 1/2 goes to my wedding fund(May 2016) and saving.

image-2611715128.jpg

image-3736133348.jpg

image-2191860015.jpg

image-2526674561.jpg

Unread 02-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The first issue to address was the U-joints and wheel cylinder. The rear U-Joint was toast and I was able to remove it with little effort. The wheel cylinder was a different story... The brake line was pretty rough and stripped out so I purchased a new line thinking that would be an easy fix. When I went to remove the wheel cylinder bolts they were both stripped... I spent the next few hours grinding the bolts down to be able to remove the cylinder. With the new line and cylinder in place I had a friend help bleed the brakes, as they were pumping the brakes I heard a pop and after some investigation discovered the other wheel cylinder was leaking. Said F it, went inside and drank beer.... The next day on my way home from work I picked up another cylinder. The line on the drivers side was recently replaced so taking the line off was easy.. thinking this one will be a breeze I went to remove the bolts for the cylinder only to discover they were also stripped..... about an hour later I had the bolt heads ground off and the new cylinder in. The brakes where then bled and I proceeded to drink beer in celebration. Now that the jeep was driveable it was time to address the oil leak, I have done enough research and I know its most likely the RMS or the valve cover. The current temperature is about -10 with windchill and my garage isn't heated to I decided to bite the bullet and pay a mechanic to change the RMS. Unfortunately $380 later it is still leaking, the leak isn't nearly as bad but I will have to investigate it further... for now I'm going to drive it and address the issue when it warms up and I can do it myself.

Posted the below pictures on the wrong post, these should be after my next post... This is how the jeep looked when I purchased it minus the new bumper and seat covers (see next post)
image-539669357.jpg

image-173245734.jpg

image-2267067592.jpg

image-1544365062.jpg

image-1340268006.jpg

image-1579165979.jpg

image-2308994178.jpg

image-1996718117.jpg

Unread 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

While the Jeep was at the mechanics I got antsy and started buying parts... below is the list of what I bought....
-Neoprene seat covers (they were on sale, buy front seats get the rear free) -$170
- 1" daystar comfort ride body lift, this replaced the 3" pucks and the stock body mounts which were getting pretty worn out -$128
-ARB Recovery 26,400lbs 9ft Tree Saver -$45
-Smittybilt Trail Gear Recovery Tow Strap 2"x20' -$20
-Rugged Ridge Steel Tow Hook (2) -$35
-D-Ring Isolators (2) -$10
-1" Drain Plug (11) -$9
-Rugged Ridge Smoke Hood Scoop -$27
-ProComp Rock Crawler Bumper -$165

I was going to keep this to myself.... my plan was to buy a rear bumper seeing as the jeep did not have one.... When looking online I could not find a bumper without a hitch (already has a frame mounted hitch). So when I scrolled through the interwebs I found what I thought was a rear bumper without a hitch, in a fit of joy I purchased the bumper. fast forward a week... when I opened the box and took the bumper out something seemed off, upon further inspection I soon realized in my haste I purchased a front bumper (hence the lack of bumper). Due to the cost to ship back and the fact my front bumper was stock I decided to keep it.

The pictures below show the difference between the 3" body lift and the 1" replacement. This did drop the jeep pretty significantly but I like the stance it has now. Time will tell whether the 33s will rub.
image-4207179757.jpg

image-732892534.jpg

image-755440321.jpg

image-2044162219.jpg

image-3668814324.jpg

image-4212230970.jpg

Unread 02-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Now that the Jeep is back in my possession I have been daily driving the jeep to work and back. My seat covers arrived and I installed them, overall I am very happy with the covers especially getting the backseat free. The rest of the parts arrived later that week and I got to work installing the 1" body mounts. The 3" pucks had been put in within the last few months by the PO so this was a simple job. Below are some before/after pictures with the 3" and 1" mounts. After the mounts were in place I removed the stock bumper and installed the newly accidently acquired bumper. It's nothing special but I think ascetically it added a lot.
image-2125163899.jpg

image-1285128564.jpg

image-549691685.jpg

Unread 02-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Alright and this brings us to the current state of the jeep. I've worked a bunch of overtime so far this year and I have already received my tax return so today I bought a few things for the jeep.

-Bolt on D-Ring mount -$49
-4wd D-rings -$24
-Daystar D-Ring isolators- $11
-Smittybilt Universal Snatch Block- $25
-Round tail light/backup lights/side marker lights/plate lights -$75

Most of the items I've been buying are smalls or stuff I will need to go offroading. My plan is to keep the purchases small until I have a chance to go out on the trails and see what breaks.... stuff always breaks.....
Unread 02-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

A couple weeks ago I put the Jeep in 4wd just to test it out before the snow, when I start driving over 5 mph I heard a loud knocking. When I put it back in 2wd it was fine. My assumption was the front u-joints were busted and after crawling under the jeep the driveshaft was very loose. I decided it was future Josh's problem and bought the parts to be done in the future. Well I pulled the shaft and replaced the u-joint. These did not come out nearly as easily as the rear. In order to remove the u-joints I had to cut out both sides of the joint and pound each side out. This took a lot longer than I thought but was an easy enough job. The grease fitting had also been removed and there was no grease in the slipyoke, I replaced the fitting and filled it with grease before installing the shaft. Once the shaft was in I figured everything would be good to go.... unfortunately that was not the case.... the shaft still had a lot of movement. I have now determined that the u-joint were not the issue, somehow the driveshaft is about 1-2 inches short and the slip yoke is not fully engaged which is causing the movement. So after a few hour of work and the cost of a few u-joint I will be purchasing a tom woods driveshaft tonight....

My question to anyone out there is why would the driveshaft be short? I have a lift but the jeep has a t-case drop. The rear driveshaft is the right length. My only thoughts are the PO snapped the original and the replacement he bought was too short? Any input would be appreciated
Unread 02-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've spent the past few weeks trying to figure out exactly where I'd like to go with this build and I think I have a pretty good plan. I haven't decided the order of these projects, most likely they will fall in whatever order things break and/or if I can get some good deals. Recommendations are appreciated.

Suspension: 2.5"-4" suspension lift with the 1" body lift and a possible small shackle lift depending the suspension lift I choose to go with. I will most likely go with old man emu springs, as far as shocks I have not decided and will have to do some additional research.

Tires: I currently have 33s which are practically brand new but I would like to step up to 35s. Mostly likely I will throw the 33s on CL for sale or trade for 35s.

Axle: For the rear axle I plan to get a 8.8 and throw 4.88s along with a locker (still undecided on which one). As for the front I will keep the Dana 30 and upgrade the shafts/gears and throw in a locker. Doesn't really fit the category but SYE and tom wood driveshaft along with a new front seeing as mine is too short....

Armor: I have done a lot of reading and I have decided I will go with metalcloak fender/sliders/rear gaurds. Although they are rather pricey the seem to have the best reviews and I really don't want to cheap out and do it twice. Because of the price this may be purchased in pieces or done down the road.

Engine: For now I plan on keeping the 4.0, possibly in the long run this will change as I would like to convert the jeep to a v8

Additional projects: Replace brake lines, redo the bedliner this summer as it is pretty crappy right now I will spray is with raptorliner as I have used the product in the past and it is easy to apply and looks great when done, New intake, additional armor (diff cover, skid, ect), fog lights, jack mounts, possibly a new softtop(will know if needed this summer).

I also plan on selling my hardtop and full doors to help pay for some of these projects

For now that is all, if anyone has any recommendations or thoughts please feel free to chime in. I really don't mind spending the money on quality products, in the past I have cheaped out and realized I end up spending more in the end.
Unread 02-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
grandboost98
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The jeep looks great man!

Whats wrong with the current suspension? It could be money better spent else where but if you have to change it, BDS and OME are good options. I personally went with a 3.5" BDS lift and 5/8" shackles and have no complaints. And shocks, you can spend anywhere from $15-$150 depending on your budget.

If the tires are new, mine as well rock them out until you a regear. And being that you have a 4.0, it would probably be mroe worth while to just swap in a D30 from a 4banger with 4.10s and grab an 8.8 with 4.10s

As far as armor goes, it all depends on what you like. I personally like the look of metal cloaks but would never run them due to the price. You can find 3/16" corner guards and rockers for a fraction of the cost

Nothing wrong with the 4.0 at all. Theres plenty of performance upgrades out there for it if you feel the need for some more power

And youll probably regret selling the hardtop and full doors when its -0°
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP-:SOLD:
http://tiny.cc/BRASSBALLSOFFROAD
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

There is nothing wrong with the current suspension and I don't plan or replacing it until I either bend a spring or it starts to sag (this is more of a long term goal)

As far as tires I will run them for now but I really want to go up to 35s, I will most likely do the 8.8 and 35s at the same time. I have considered keeping the 4.10's, I think it will come down to what I find for axles. If I can find a built 8.8 then I will just match the front gears to it.

Yea I'm torn on the metalcloaks, I like the look but the price is a little much, I have zero experience with fabrication so I may make my 1st attempt and make some sliders and save myself some $$$. As far as price goes the front fenders are expensive but flat fenders aren't exactly cheap and do not include the inner fender so in the end the difference in price isn't that extreme.

As far as the hardtop goes the jeep isn't my only vehicle so the days its 0 out ill just drive my truck. I prefer the look of the softtop/halfdoors.

In the end I need to decide how much I really want to put into the jeep.
Unread 02-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Brown Santa made a visit today
image-323301152.jpg

image-1216711197.jpg

image-3175427273.jpg

Unread 02-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #11
84jeepcj7rock

If you plan to wheel it?
2.5" suspension lift w shackle reversal
1" body lift so you can do a flat belly
4.56 gears and 35s
If you can afford Al armor, go for it. Will save a ton of weight.
If you have a light foot, just put chromo axles shafts in the stock housings.
84jeepcj7rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #12
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepcj7rock View Post
If you plan to wheel it?
2.5" suspension lift w shackle reversal
1" body lift so you can do a flat belly
4.56 gears and 35s
If you can afford Al armor, go for it. Will save a ton of weight.
If you have a light foot, just put chromo axles shafts in the stock housings.
Any reason 4.56 gears? I think I would either do 4.10 (save $$$ using stock) or 4.88s if I were to regear. I'm torn on the AI armor, most likely I will impulse buy it one week I work a lot of overtime but that will be when it warms up and I can paint them....

Speaking of impulse buying while working overtime... Today I ordered some KC SlimLites 130W Spot Beams (~$160) and a Hi-Lift Jack mounting system (~$34). Purchased through amazon so will be here by Tuesday (thank you amazon prime).

Last night I installed the D-Ring mounts on the Jeep, I am currently at work and will post a few pictures when I get home. Overall I am thrilled with the quality of the mounts, all I had to do is drill holes and bolt them in.
Unread 02-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #13
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

D-rings installed
image-2817419233.jpg

image-918893206.jpg

Unread 02-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
JShwin14

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My KC Fog lights came in today and couldn't be happier. This is the 1st set I've ever owned and these this are legit. Can't wait to get them on, now just need to get those original windshield bolts off... Also got my round tail lights and hi-lift jack mount
image-3792786395.jpg

image-2618174548.jpg

image-76152071.jpg

Unread 02-12-2015, 02:29 AM   #15
champYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice build keep up the good work, in for photos of the rear tails wired up.
champYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.