Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The School Bus Scrambler

32K views 200 replies 27 participants last post by  freakmonkeydog 
#1 ·
I purchased an early Christmas gift for myself this weekend.

A 1984 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler, nicknamed "School Bus."

After wheeling my TJ Sahara for many years, I wanted to take the next step and move up to one ton axles, big tires and a custom suspension. I was able to purchase this instead for a very reasonable price and will fix and upgrade accordingly.

Loaded up and ready to head home!:

See less See more
#2 ·
REFERENCE SHEET

1. MOTOR

1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 5.9L 360CI V8 (AMC 360)

A. Fluid: Valvoline 10w30 (5 quarts)

2. FUEL SYSTEM

Hamilton Fuel Injection
360-969-2925

A. Pump: ACDelco ADO-MU1614
Fuel Pump, Electric, Replacement, Chevy/GMC, In-Tank

B. Filter: Summit Racing SUM-230102
Fuel Filter, Inline Mount, Aluminum, Black, 40 Microns, -6 AN Male Inlet/Outlet

C. Hose: Summit Racing SUM-230620
Hose, Braided Stainless Steel, -6 AN, 20 ft. Length

D. Hose: Summit Racing SUM-230606
Hose, Braided Stainless Steel, -6 AN, 6 ft. Length

E. Fitting: Russell RUS-610025 (x6)
Fitting, Hose End, Full Flow, Straight, -6 AN Hose to Female -6 AN, Aluminum, Black

F. Fitting: Russell RUS-610095
Hose End, Full Flow, Swivel, 45 Degree, Female -6 AN Threads, Aluminum, Black

G. Fitting: Russell RUS-648060
Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Aluminum, -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male

H. Fitting: Russell RUS-648070
Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Aluminum, -6 AN to 14mm x 1.5 O-Ring

I. Fitting: Vibrant VPE-16885
Fitting, Adapter, Straight, -6 AN Male Threads, Aluminum, Black Anodized

J. Fitting: Vibrant VPE-16886
Fitting, Adapter, Straight, -6 AN Male Threads, Aluminum, Black Anodized

3. TRANSMISSION

TorqueFlite 727

A. Fluid: Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF full synthetic (red bottle)

B. Transmission Pan: Summit Racing SME-1009R
Transmission Pan, Deep, Aluminum, Natural, Finned, Chrysler, Torqueflite 727

C. Vent Fitting: Edelmann EDD-831460
Fitting, Brass, 90 Degree, 3/8 in. Hose Barb, to 1/4 in NPT Male Threads

D. Pump Fitting: Edelmann EDD-221200
Fitting, Pipe Plug, 1/8 in. NPT Male Threads, Square Drive Head, Brass, Natural

E. Line Fitting (Case): Edelmann EDD-846260 (x2)
Fitting, Brass, Straight, 3/8 in. Hose Barb, to 1/8 in NPT Male Threads

F. Line Fitting (Cooler): Derale DER-98200 (x2)
Fittings, Swivel, Straight, Aluminum, Natural, Female -6 AN, Hose Barb 3/8 in.

G. Cooler: Derale DER-13700
Oil Cooler, 11.5 in. x 15.75 in. x 5 in. Cooler, 10 in. Fan, -6 AN Male

H. Fan Thermostat: Derale DER-13021
Fan Control, Thermostatic, 180F Degrees On/165F Degrees Off

I. Line: Derale DER-13017
Hose, Transmission Fluid, Rubber, Black, 3/8 in. I.D., 25 ft. Length

J. Kickdown Cable: Lokar LOK-XKD-2727HT
Kickdown Cable, Braided Stainless Steel, Black, Chrysler, Torqueflite 727

K. Flexplate: Pioneer PIO-FRA118
Flexplate, Steel, AMC, Non-SFI

4. TRANSFER CASE

Dana 300

A. Fluid: Valvoline 80w90 limited slip (white bottle, 2 quarts)

B. Front Output: 1310 non cv yoke

C. Rear Output:

D. Rebuild Kit: Advanced Adapters #400300R

5. DRIVESHAFTS

A. Front:

1. Length: 1.5" DOM .250 wall

2. Slip Yoke: Jeep Cherokee XJ

3. U-Joint: Spicer 5-1310x

B. Rear:

6. AXLES

A. Fluid: Valvoline 80w90 limited slip (white bottle, 3 quarts)

B. Fill Plug: 3/4" allen key

C. Diff Cover Bolts: 3/8" -16 x 1" Fastenal # 1123305

D. U-Joint: Spicer SPL55-3X

7. BRAKES

Front: 1989 Dodge W350 5.9L 359CI L6 Diesel / 4500 lb axle

Rear: 1986 Chevy K20 5.7 350CI V8 / 3/4 ton front calipers

A. Master Cylinder:

B. Booster:

C. Proportioning Valve: Wilwood WIL-260-8419
Brake Proportioning Valve, Knob Adjustment, 1/8 in. NPT, Single Inlet/Outlet, Aluminum, Natural

8. STEERING

A. Length: 1.5" DOM .250 wall

1. Tie Rod:

2. Draglink:

B. Heims:

1. Tie Rod:

2. Draglink:

C. Knuckle Stud: ARP #D60112

9. SUSPENSION

A. Rubicon Express RE-1445

B.

#3 ·
Starting platform:

-Fiberglass body
-Custom frame & roll cage

-AMC 360, Holley fuel injection
-TF999 auto transmission
-Dana 300, 4:1 twin sticked
-Dodge Dana 60 front axle, 4.88/ARB, hydro assist/hi-steer conversion
-Ford Dana 60 rear axle, 4.88/spool
-40" MTRs / Allied beadlocks

#7 ·
After picking up the Jeep this morning, I wanted to hit the trails and see how my new toy would do. Overall it did very well once I got used too the shift pattern and Dana 300. I lost reverse gear in one of the creeks; the shifter linkage most likely needs readjusted. I have an Art Carr gate shifter that will eventually be installed.

#14 ·
Its not factory paint...

You do realize you now ride the short bus. :)
I DRIVE the short bus! :cheers:

nah he drives the short bus!

sweet, I think i'd agree with above and rename it the caterpillar or use their logo .... nice rig though and at least you won't worry about scratching it (or be mistaken for a deer and shot by any hunters)
See below...

Or change the name to mini Tonka.
I am not changing the name, the bus has been around for a long time.

#12 ·
nah he drives the short bus!

sweet, I think i'd agree with above and rename it the caterpillar or use their logo .... nice rig though and at least you won't worry about scratching it (or be mistaken for a deer and shot by any hunters)

#16 ·
A quick history about the bus:

I purchased the Jeep from Charlie who has owned it since the late 90s. Charlie and his ex-wife spent many weekends at Paragon Adventure Park (now closed) cutting trails and guiding groups around the property. (He showed me his prized green Paragon flag.) Charlie was also a Marshall for the NEUROC series (North East USA Rock Crawling & Offroad Championship.) The Jeep has not seen much use since Paragon closed, but I plan to change that. :D

#20 ·
Congrats on the purchase. Looks like its' going to be a blast.
Thanks!

Does it have leafs front and rear? Any plans for links?
It is a leaf spring suspension, 2" spring over lift. No plans for a link suspension at the moment since our buddy is injured.

I dropped the bus off to my friends shop today, he is going to help me fix a few things. After further inspection, we have decided to pull the transmission next weekend. It might be more than just adjusting the cable.

It currently has a TF999, depending on the damage should I rebuild it or upgrade to a TF727?

#21 ·
My goal is to have the bus ready for Big Dogs Icebreakers in April. I have a great starting platform, however it does need a few updates. So far, I have assembled my checklist for the Dodge Dana 60 front axle.

The axle currently has 4.88 gears, ARB Air Locker, 35 spline chromoly axle shafts, superwinch lockout hubs, and hi-steer arms.

- Clean and degrease axle housing
- Disasemble for inspection
- Poly Performance "jolly roger" drive gears
- LugNut4x4 3/4 ton disc brake conversion / brake lines
- Ruff Stuff 7/8th heim steering kit
- Fix shock mounts, add bumpstops
- OME shocks
- 80w-90 gear oil (3 quarts)
- Paint and reassembly
- Trail spares

The superwinch lockout hubs already have some rock rash, I'd rather eliminate the potential failure now then on a trail in 3wd.

The 3/4 ton disc brakes will still provide ample stopping power along with weight savings. I also like the idea of being able to match the rear axle for simplicity. Brake lines are a mess and need to be redone.

The current hi-steer conversion has the tie-rod behind the axle and drag link up front with hydro assist. I'd like to upgrade to a heavier duty system, one problem I had with my TJ was multiple bent tie-rods. Both links are on top of the steering arm, not sure if its possible to tie that into the knuckle or strenghten the mount?

The current lower shock mount configuration causes the drag link to rub the shocks. I am going to remount the shock on top of the axle, and use the Ford Superduty tower as a simple frame mount solution. A basic suspension cycle to add bumpstops (none currently) and a set of Old Man Emu's to soften up the ride.

#22 ·
I will be driving over to the shop tomorrow morning to work on the Scrambler. Our goal is to have the transmission out and on the bench for inspection. If it requires a rebuild, I am going to swap in a TF727 auto, which is a heavier duty transmission found in the Wagoneer and J series trucks.

The powerplant in the bus is an AMC 360 V8 that has been mildly built. I will need to talk to the prior owner for the specifics. It is attached to a TF999 auto transmission (for now :rofl: ) with a Dana 300 transfer case. The Dana 300 has already been upgraded with 4:1 gears and twinstick levers.

#24 ·
TF727 might be giving some front driveshaft clearance issues.

727 on the left, 999 on the right.
Thank you for the photo. I will do more research but from what I have read so far is that it should swap without much trouble? Some posts had meantioned clearance issues without the Jeep being lifted? Have you done the conversion?

#26 ·
One step forward, two steps back.

I have spent the past two days at the shop with Will working on the Scrambler. We started our weekend by removing the transmission tunnel cover, transfer case levers and belly skid plate. Once the skid plate was out of the way, we drained the transmission and removed the pan. This would not be a simple shifter adjustment. In the bottom of the pan was a bunch of glitter and the valve body was held in place by a few loose screws. We reinstalled the pan and prepared for removal. Next to come out was the Dana 300 transfer case and driveshafts. The transfer case is going to be cleaned and rebuilt as well. After removing the starter, cooler lines and a few other items the transmission was out of the bus.

The skid plate could use a good cleaning: :rofl:

Dana 300 clocking ring was loose, about an 1/8" gap:

At this point I needed to make a decision about the transmission. I could have a local shop rebuild it or find one in good shape on CL. What about the TF727 swap? We discussed my options, Will had another TF999 in his barn sitting unused and would be willing to part with. We hauled it to the shop via Massey Ferguson, and after a closer inspection it was not a 999. It was a 727!!! A few measurements later we decided to test fit the 727 in the morning.

A common mod for these transmissions is to seal the vent on the pump and move it to the top of the case. We removed the pump and tapped the vent hole for a brass plug to be added later. A mig welder could also be used.

The TF727, Dana 300, and the front driveshaft were installed to verify clearance. A tight fit but it will work!

#27 ·
To continue my last post:

We drained the pan on the TF727 and found good fluid color and no metal. With the pump removed, the clutch band was visible and showed very little wear if any at all. The old transmission had clutch material on the dipstick. We discussed our options and decided against taking it to a shop for a rebuild. The transmission appears to be in good shape, and I can use the money towards other repairs. I ordered a new flexplate, an aluminum deep pan (2 quart increase) and a 90* fitting for the vent on top of the case yesterday evening from Summit racing. I also purchased a transmission cross member kit from Dave's Customs Unlimited.

I will need to order a shorter front driveshaft as well. The current one has no slip and was difficult to remove. With the Dana 60 width I am able to avoid a two piece driveshaft, but I am not ruling out the option. I'd like to keep this as simple as I can.

A Derale fluid cooler and fan will be ordered as well. I plan to reuse the current one for the power steering to help turn those 40" MTRs.

#29 ·
My order from Summit Racing came in this week so I will be back over to the shop to continue work on the Scrambler. This weekend my goal is to have the new flexplate and transmission installed. (Deep pan and vent mod included.) I am still waiting for my crossmember and Dana 300 rebuild kit to arrive.

The next project to tackle is going to be the rear Dana 60 axle. I am certain that the rear brakes are seized, I was not able to turn the tires by hand (shop rollers.) While on the trail I felt that I needed more throttle than necessary for being in low gear. I am going to use the chevy 3/4ton kit from LugNut4x4 to replace the existing cobbled together disc brake conversion.

#32 ·
As I had mentioned in my last post, I was back over at the shop today to work on the bus. Last weekend Will and I test fitted the TF727 and Dana 300 to verify I would have enough clearance for a front driveshaft. Once the transmission was back on the work bench, the mods began.

1. The Vent Mod http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/586054-tf999-breather-vent-relocate-write-up.html

We drilled and tapped the transmission for a 1/4" 90* fitting. A few posts back we tapped the pump to accept an 1/8" plug. The transmission is now sealed and "waterproofed" as the vent is now on top of the case. We used a piece of paper coated with grease to catch any metal shavings while drilling. I ordered the fitting from Summit ($3.00) instead of buying multiple pieces at Lowe's.

2. Deep Pan

A necessity for any auto transmission. I went with an aluminum Summit Racing pan that will increase the capacity by two quarts. It will help keep the transmission cool and prevent it from slipping on steep climbs. We added RTV sealant to the cork gasket to prevent leaks.

To help with driveshaft clearance I removed the right rear tab on the transmission with a sawzall.

I had replaced the flexplate earlier in the day and we were ready to reinstall the transmission. The old flexplate was cut and the counterweight was removed. Unfortunately we forgot to mark the proper alignment for the torque converter bolts, so we concluded our day until our next shop weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.