Schaef81's Build Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Schaef81's Build Thread

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #91
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I winterized my frame today. There were a couple patches of surface rust here and there on the frame so I wanted to touch it up today....ended up just repainting the whole thing. Looks good and shiny again. Unfortunately its about that time to put the hardtop back on. I need to get the weatherstripping for the rear windows but cant seem to find a vendor that sells it. I found one..Taylor jeep parts or something like that on the web but the weatherstripping per side is around 54 bucks before shipping.

Unread 10-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #92
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

I was wondering if you lived in one of those states with tire coverge laws...if not are you planning on clipping the ears?

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #93
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep
I was wondering if you lived in one of those states with tire coverge laws...if not are you planning on clipping the ears?
Unfortunately I do live in one of those states, PA actually. I happen to work at a state inspection station so I do have some leeway. I think when I bump to 35s I'm gonna put rubi rear flares on and metalcloak fenders on the front. I think it'll look good with the rubi flares in the rear since the 8.8 is narrower then stock just by a hair.
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #94
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I called the dealership up when I got to work today and they beat the online price by 10 bucks so I ordered the weatherstripping through them. Should be in in a couple days so I'll be all set to put the hardtop on this weekend.
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #95
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

I wanna say I visisted pittsburg when I was a wee boy..other than that I spent 2 and a half weeks camping in algheny(I think that's how you spell it) national forest back in 98-99 one of those years long ago....lol....one thing that really struck me as odd was how the towns were like run-on sentences...they didn't seem to have a border other than the little sign that let you know you were in a different town...it was really pretty up there...I had driven my 68 vw squareback up there from marion NC on $17.50 in gas and a qt of oil...just after crossing the PA state line on the way home I blew the gland nut(big nut that hold flywheel to motor) which allows the crankshaft to float/walk..as well as failure of rear main seal...used 27 qts of oil and bout $50 in gas to get home....as I was pretty broke at the time I literally had to spange at rest areas and truck stops to get home...the poor vw lived in NC for 2 years after I left before it made back into my possession...I then traded it for a Subaru wagon and it now sits in a carport that faces a back alley in midtown Memphis TN with 4 flats and about 2" of dust and debris...had I just replaced the motor id prolly still be driving it...consequently it had 2 15" thump subs in the back running on a 1500wt soundstream...its name was "Thumper"...it could kill a fully charges battery in exactly 28 minutes...thank god it was a stick...lol...oh yeah sorry bout that...I meant to just say a few quick words then ended up in a 30min long story...its kinda a bad habit I have...just let me know if I tell the same one twice.....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #96
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Today I ordered the following:

-4.88 R&P Dana 30
-4.88 R&P Ford 8.8
-Master Install Kit Dana 30
-Master Install kit Ford 8.8
-Solid Diff Cover Dana 30
-Lubelocker Gasket Dana 30
-Lubelocker Gasket Ford 8.8

Everything should be here in time for the regear celebration of 2013 next weekend. Will be dropping the Jeep off Friday night and will be picking it up Sunday evening. The shop is about 44 miles north of me. I presume I'll have to stop midway and feel my diffs for any excessive heat and to let the new gears cool down.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #97
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't updated this thread since the regear so here it goes.

Regearing was probably one of the best mods I have done to the jeep since the sye. It's a nice feeling cruising at 70 with little effort at all. I'm 400 miles into the break in stages so I'm gonna change the fluid in both axles next weekend.

When my jeep was regeared the mechanic informed me one of the ujoints on the front driveshaft was seized up. Well by the time I got to replace it both were seized up. Heres some pics of the old joints...

Replaced both joints with moog super strength greaseables..

Today I replaced the leaking output seal of the PORC SYE kit. For those who have this kit it is a common problem and can be rectified by purchasing Timken 3946 seal. Fit like a glove and no leaks to be had.

Speaking of leaks it appears my rear pinion seal is leaking. I contacted the company who regeared it and they think the diff was overfilled. I am going to give it a week to see if it stops leaking otherwise I have a ford seal ready to go in my toolbox.
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #98
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lately I've had the traditional lukewarm heat. It hasn't really bothered me until this last weekend when temperatures dropped into the 20s. I figured it was a clogged heater core since all the cooling system components are new and I checked the linkage in the cab. Sure enough I hooked the hose up at work and a solid amount of brown crap came out. Finished her off with a pressure washer. Now my heat is nice and toasty again..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.