Schaef81's Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Schaef81's Build Thread

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #61
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua106
I really like those flares.. looks good!
Thank you sir. I originally got em cuz I didn't know of anyone else that had them an I liked the look. What's funny is multiple people asked about them at Rausch last weekend when my buddy was fixing his rig and I was wearing the white helmet

Unread 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #62
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got the currie e-z deflator today. Can't wait to use this thing next time I wheel!

image-1120056358.jpg
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #63
abc_was_here

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You've got a nice build page! nice jeep! Glad to see another 2.5 out there.

My YJ build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/abcs-yj-build-1296743/
abc_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #64
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_was_here
You've got a nice build page! nice jeep! Glad to see another 2.5 out there.
Thanks man! Yeah when my first motor went I was throwing around putting a 4.0 or even a 350 in but I was in college at the time and needed the quickest way to get my jeep back on the road. No complaints except for highway driving with the 4.10s. Still gets me where I need to go both on the road and on the trails.
Unread 05-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #65
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to hook up my cb radio today. Missed having it last wheeling trip and communicating via text message is less than ideal.

In terms of the 8.8. I was wondering if it were possible to remove the ring gear and slide the spider gears, now spider gear out as one unit. Reassemble the ring gear in the same location and install the Spartan. Let me know what you guys think.
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #66
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got back from Pittsburgh Saturday evening after delivering tires and a frame to my brother,Schaef89. I put 45 mins into it today before it started to rain. Only got the driver side brake parts removed before I had to scramble to clean everything up. I'll post some pics tomorrow
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #67
abc_was_here

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef81 View Post
I was able to hook up my cb radio today. Missed having it last wheeling trip and communicating via text message is less than ideal.

In terms of the 8.8. I was wondering if it were possible to remove the ring gear and slide the spider gears, now spider gear out as one unit. Reassemble the ring gear in the same location and install the Spartan. Let me know what you guys think.
Did you get this figured out? You should just be able to remove the spiders without removing the ring gear. However 4.10s and above I guess might cause conflict. I would just remove the carrier being careful as to put the shims and bearing caps back in exactly as you pulled them. Then remove the ring gear again making sure when you put it back to put it exactly where you removed it from. Then pull the spiders and instal the spartan. Hopefully that makes sense.

My YJ build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/abcs-yj-build-1296743/
abc_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #68
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_was_here View Post
Did you get this figured out? You should just be able to remove the spiders without removing the ring gear. However 4.10s and above I guess might cause conflict. I would just remove the carrier being careful as to put the shims and bearing caps back in exactly as you pulled them. Then remove the ring gear again making sure when you put it back to put it exactly where you removed it from. Then pull the spiders and instal the spartan. Hopefully that makes sense.
Yeah our thinking process is parallel I believe. I was mainly concerned with the carrier part of that removal process. I was thinking the spider gears are installed and actually recessed up into the carrier making lateral movement impossible. I was going to test this by simply taking the cross pin out and observing any spider gear movement (after the shafts are removed). If there was some I was going to do what you suggested, take the ring gear off while the carriers out and slide the whole spider gear assembly out of the carrier. Seems simple enough, only if weather would cooperate.
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #69
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yesterday I put my softop on. The PO had riveted the windshield channel in so the eventually due to force the holes/metal was getting pulled back. Every year I would have to get bigger rivets. So I had ordered the Bestop two piece windshield channel and just drilled new holes. So far it's holding up better then ever.

image-2223675695.jpg
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #70
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to work on the axle a little after work lastnight. Was able to get all the brake components off and ready to pull the shafts. I'll have ample time this weekend to get this thing ready to be swapped in.
Unread 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #71
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I put a solid 3-4 hours into the axle today with no real results. I got 3/4 welds ground off on the passenger side today. The fourth appears to be a stickler and when the welds were made the bead dropped lower on the spiders then the others. I was using a cutting wheel and will have to get blades for my angle grinder to get the last weld.
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #72
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

After some Father's Day activities I was able to out some time on the axle. Schaef89 was into an this weekend and him and I discussed some methods of extracting the spider gears. We basically concluded that prying the spiders out would be best since I ha already got the passenger side welds. So with two pry bars I pried the spider gears upward after I rotated them within the carrier. With some work they finally came loose.

What I started with...

What I ended with..

I'm going to install the Spartan locker this weekend or if I have a free night after work this week. Then I get to do the fun stuff, brake lines, brakes, axle tube seals, e-brakes, and paint. I'm hoping to have the axle under the jeep by Sunday.
image-3193746614.jpg   image-865617125.jpg   image-1334840989.jpg  
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #73
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh in other news I just ordered a smittybuilt classic bumper/swing out tire carrier. Should be here later this week.
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #74
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Small update. I replaced the axle tube seals with Ford seals after work tonight. Figured I didn't want to get this thing installed as have to tear it apart again to fix something that's easy to do anyway since I had the axle shafts out.

New seals pounded home..

image-1085290039.jpg  
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #75
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just realized a bunch of my pictures are non-existent now like many of the other build threads on here. Ill try my best to go back through and repost them through photobucket because most of them were uploaded from my iphone.

Anyway I swapped the 8.8 in this weekend. In the process I was successful in breaking a pivoting breaker bar/ratchet, my impact gun, 2 leafspring center pins, the abs sensor off the 8.8 and the fill plug stripped (leading to a purchase of a Solid diff cover ). After ALLLLL of that it is now bolted in.

Spartan installed..

Shout out to my dad. He happened to be taking the quarter panel of his 88 Bronco.vThe Turdy-Five out..

8.8 In and Solid Diff cover bolted up..

So far everything is fine with the swap. The rear is quiet and is running smoothly. The Spartan on the other hand has made its presence known. My first test drive it was doing the usual popping and unloading. After driving it a day to and from work it has gotten 100% better. I've read about the break-in period so after a week I think itll be fine. This is by far the my favorite mod I've done.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.