Schaef81's Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Schaef81's Build Thread

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #31
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The reason why I rule out the throttle cable is because it idles near perfect when warmed up. My guess is fuel delivery or a vac leak, however a vac leak would be more constant.

Schaef81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #32
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't updated this thread in a while. The jeep sits 3 out of 7 days since I am commuting 40 miles back and forth half the week for classes. My next plan is to do an sye and lose this tcase drop. The thing I'm hung up on is buying a tom woods driveshaft built for a vehicle 3-5" lift or buying an XJ front driveshaft and having it cut. I got a quote from driveshaft shop for $105 to cut, weld, and balance the XJ shaft. Logically I would just get an XJ shaft pending price and have it cut but those Tom Woods shafts look sexy so I'm at a loss. I have 3 weeks left of classes so I'll decide then.

Changes are coming....
Unread 08-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #33
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update 8/28/12-Back to School Blues

The SYE just didn't happen this summer. I was busy with classes and once I was finished with them I wasn't in the mood to wrench to be honest. I enjoyed the jeep all summer though. Only gripe is the oil leaks. I narrowed it down to a shotty valve cover gasket and oil pressure sender. Ill replace the sender this weekend while I'm home for Labor Day shenanigans. And the valve cover later on.

Next thing is my rear shocks are fried. Every turn I hear a pop when the suspension flexes. I'm thinking of going with bilstein 5150s because of their reputation. A buddy mentioned something about Radflos but that was the first time I've even heard of them. Anybody have any experience with them? Judging by their website they specialize in coilovers and custom applications. Not really ready for that step just yet.
Unread 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #34
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update 1/14/13

Well I believe it is time to bring this thread back from the dead. I have started compiling parts for the new year...

For christmas my long time girlfriend decided to gift me with some AtoZ Fab rocker guards. I got smooth steel vs. the diamond plate upgrade because I favored the aesthetics more, simple as that. Gives the jeep a nice, clean look. Called AtoZ up and Zach hooked me up with a fresh set and I went to pick them up that weekend. He's a stand up guy and took time away from preparing for KOH to show me his shop and just talk Jeep.

Here they are awaiting their fate. I will mock them up after repairing a rust bubble on the passenger rocker. Most likely will be using the Rustoleum Hammer Black paint as well.

Also last Saturday I began to install the SYE Schaef89 gifted me for Christmas as well. I didn't get very far because of light and compression checking my motor.

Speedo Gear removed..

Tail Cone removed and first snap ring

And that's basically where I stopped for the day. I took the back section bolts off but couldn't break the RTV seal so I left the battle for another day.

Lastly, I discovered milky white oil inside my air filter box over christmas time and decided to perform a compression check to confirm that my rings were bad. Cylinder one had 30 psi but didn't change when I did the wet test. I'm thinking something with the valves in the head is off. I am going to bring Cylinder 1 to TDC tomorrow and run air into the cylinder. If air comes out my exhaust pipe or air box I know its a valve. I hope I don't have a hole burnt in my piston. I do have a spare head so I can just swap them over if the head is indeed bad.

On a more exciting note. I purchased BDS 3.5" leafsprings that just arrived and a Ford 8.8 with perches already set up for YJ's SUA setup. The only downfall is that the spider gears are welded. I plan to remove them and swap a Spartan locker in.

Exciting stuff happening...
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #35
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did the air test this morning which yielded that I have a bad exhaust valve cylinder 1. I'm going to order the necessary gaskets for the head swap with my original motor which is still good and hopefully the missfire and compression issue is resolved.

In other news I will be picking up both my 3.5" BDS springs and the Ford 8.8 this week. Any one know a good shock mount set up for the 8.8? I'm leaning towards RuffStuff at the moment.
Unread 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #36
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So today before work I pulled the cylinder head off the old motor to inspect the valves in preparation for the swap on Saturday. Everything looks pretty good. Ordering the necessary gaskets today.
image-2655730644.jpg  
Unread 01-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #37
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Today I swapped cylinder heads to get rid of the chronic miss and couldn't have gone worse to be honest. Just little things that picked away and accumulated over time. Vac hoses leaking, lower manifold bolts not cooperating, and realizing that dropping an item that is suppose to be parallel to the ground on an engine block angled downwards due to a tcase drop made things real s****y. Luckily I finished most of the job today with just odds and ends to finish up. All in all engine runs great and that's all that matters.

Old cylinder head-problematic cylinder
image-2320134397.jpg

Fabricated some alignment dowels
image-1348854849.jpg

That's it for pictures. I really want to knock this out in one day.
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #38
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot to add that I knew cylinder 1 was the problematic cylinder because of the compression check and looking at the valves once the head was off but also the piston. Essentially since I had the miss for a while the top of the piston was getting cleaned by the unburnt fuel eventually polishing the piston head making it look brand new.

One is not like the others...
image-184676651.jpg
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #39
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The wire set I ordered yesterday showed up today. I snapped one that got stuck behind the alternator bracket when doing the head swap. Unfortunately you can only buy a set from the dealership. Either way I can take the ignition wire that I used that was laying around the shop for who knows long off.

image-1769193441.jpg
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #40
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Last weekend I had some down time and decided to finish up my SYE. In all honesty the SYE couldn't have gone smoother, besides the snap rings of course.

Picking up where I left off..

Case Front half

Replacing the shaft

Shaft Comparison

And all finished up

Finding time to put this in will be tough. Since it has been so cold here I haven't been motivated to work outside at all. Hopefully I can catch a break and get a 50-60 degree day to get this in and measure for my driveshaft.
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #41
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was retightening manifold bolts the other day and really don't remember what provoked me to spray brake cleaner down the hard vac line coming from the front PVC but nevertheless the brake cleaner sprayed back at me. Then I thought "oh is this why my air box has milky oil in it?" Anyways I unclogged that line today and the airbox is now squeaky clean. It's funny how sometimes you stumble across solutions to problems.
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #42
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just a small update. I was able to install the 95 NP231J I installed the SYE today before work. Slid right on. I have the driveshaft on order with Tom Woods and expect it Friday or early next week. In the mean time I threw on the 3.5" BDS springs in the front while my jeep is down for the count. I plan to install the rear springs either tomorrow (weather permitting) or Friday before work. I'll have pictures up when its all said and done.
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #43
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My plan was to finish up the rear suspension this weekend but it looks like that isn't on a happen. The first problem came when the center bolt for the leafpack did not come through the shim enough to go through the axle perch.The next approach would be to unbolt the pack and bolt the shim through the top with the pin. However the centering pin from BDS is much too short to do that. I'm gonna stop by the local driveshaft/suspension shop before work tomorrow and pick a pair up that are cut to the correct length. Until then my jeep sits on jack stands.

In other news my Tom Woods driveshaft is set to arrive on Friday.
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #44
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My driveshaft arrived a day early! I installed it tonight and will have pictures of the jeep in the morning.

Pure sexiness

image-267030610.jpg
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #45
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

And the finished product...

image-1272910139.jpg

image-2649489100.jpg

image-921468728.jpg

image-543739091.jpg

So what's next for me to do? I have a set of AtoZ rocker guards to install and then driving out to my brothers in Pitt to install the spartan locker and 8.8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.