Schaef81's Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Schaef81's Build Thread

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 02-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If anyone wants 4 semi-used RC 4 inch lift springs pm me. Depending on the interest I get will determine if I upgrade to Rubicon Express 4.5 inch springs by buddy offered me.

Schaef81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright guys I pulled the trigger on the Rubicon Express 4.5 ED springs. I'll have pics of the overall change in jeep height between my RC 4" and the RE. I'm personally stoked about this since one of my worries was the sagging of the RC springs.

So as of now my to do list is as follows:
-Exhaust Manifold Install
-Check Front Brakes and Rotors (Inspection is Coming Up)
-Pick up and Install the RE 4.5 ED Springs

Looks like its gonna be a busy spring break for me!
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like I won't be getting the RE 4.5" springs after all. The guy who was going to sell them to me backed out last minute it sucks but it is what it is . So it looks like I am keeping the RC springs for now. The rest of the parts go on this weekend.
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wrenched on and off all day today. The bad part is it was one of those times I kept being interrupted and pulled off to handle other problems. I don't have much to show for todays work. All that matters is that the manifold is off. New one goes in tomorrow after I EZ-out the broken stud out of the block.

The only picture taken from the interrupted 2 hours to get this POS off....
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Haha nice. In those stuck pics it looks like you didn't even get wet.... I always fall in!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #21
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Haha nice. In those stuck pics it looks like you didn't even get wet.... I always fall in!
Haha yeah I know. I was lucky enough to be able to climb on my driver fender across the hood and jump to dry land. . That was the first time my cousin went wheeling. She bailed long before I entered the mud pit. It's kinda funny ever since then I've grown to despise mud.
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Didn't complete the job today. I drilled a hole in the stud to use a bolt extractor but it was slightly off center and caused the extractor to snap. I drilled several small holes around the extractor to try and get it out but no dice. Ill try getting a smaller extractor tomorrow and heat as well to see if that works. Hopefully it does.
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #23
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeeps off to the shop I work at tomorrow. Don't have the resources at my home to extract this stubborn stud. Gonna let the pro's work on it and see what happens.
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #24
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The jeep is now road worthy again. The mechanic was able to drill the stud out and retap the hole. Got it back together lastnight and it runs like a champ
Unread 03-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

For those that are interested here is a pic of the new manifold. I' glad its replacement is over a done with since is was such a pain in the a$$.
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So I guess I'll update this thread since I haven't in a while. A while ago I was experiencing a high, variant idle after long trips and and the initial start up. Well I was home this weekend and had my brother take a gander since I was stumped. We discovered that the brake booster grommet was actually torn on the inside. Went to Autozone and picked a new one up and now it idles around 850-900. I'm going to re-torque the exhaust manifold and see if it gets any lower. After the grommet fix I definitely noticed a change in both peppiness and how quiet the engine was at highway speed. I move onto the valve cover gasket this weekend. From there who knows? Maybe an SYE and CV shaft are in store for this summer
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

After a lot of discussion I realized when I swapped my motor I never returned the PCV valve to the front of the valve cover because on the 91 there is only an air fitting that comes out of the side of the valve cover with no grommet to put the PCV. Because of the constant vacuum on that line to release pressure from the crankcase and no PCV to buildup/release that pressure in the vaccum line it is causing a high idle run condition. I picked up a 90 degree brass fitting yesterday to replace the one in the valve cover now and am going to the parts store to get the necessary hoses and the PCV valve. Will it look ghettoized? Sure. But if it means itll run right I'm willing to do it. Besides I already had to get an adapter for my coolant line. I'll post up pictures when complete. Hopefully this solves the high idle problem and I can finally move on with my life. haha
Unread 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #28
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Since the PCV frankenstein install the idle seemed to get better only when its warm. Still on a cold start the idle is high, between 1100-1250 in some cases. It's most noticeable when I begin to drive off from a parking spot. I can feel the engine just want to drive itself and when I put the clutch in the idle just rises. Could be a vacuum leak somewhere but when I inspected the lines everything was good. If it persists ill check my fuel pressure to see if its too high but I highly doubt that's the case since when I pulled the O2 sensor it was white indicated a lean run condition. Any ideas would be helpful. I already adjusted by TPS and replaced the IAC.
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #29
RogueFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef81 View Post
Since the PCV frankenstein install the idle seemed to get better only when its warm. Still on a cold start the idle is high, between 1100-1250 in some cases. It's most noticeable when I begin to drive off from a parking spot. I can feel the engine just want to drive itself and when I put the clutch in the idle just rises. Could be a vacuum leak somewhere but when I inspected the lines everything was good. If it persists ill check my fuel pressure to see if its too high but I highly doubt that's the case since when I pulled the O2 sensor it was white indicated a lean run condition. Any ideas would be helpful. I already adjusted by TPS and replaced the IAC.
Check your throttle cable, many times owners will adjust the stop on the throttle plate to make up for a inoperable IACV/IAC/AIV (choose your air control acronym!).

Nice jeep, looks great with those big BFGs. What is your front shackle angle like? It was blurry in the pics, but it looks really high.
RogueFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #30
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFab View Post
Check your throttle cable, many times owners will adjust the stop on the throttle plate to make up for a inoperable IACV/IAC/AIV (choose your air control acronym!).

Nice jeep, looks great with those big BFGs. What is your front shackle angle like? It was blurry in the pics, but it looks really high.
I have the stock length shackles on right now so the angle is pretty normal. Probably just the shadowing in the picture. As far as throttle cable I look into it. When I was installing the manifold I didn't notice any irregularity of the cable but I'll check. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.