Savvy/Currie inspired LJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Savvy/Currie inspired LJ

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #31
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Spidertrax 1-1/4" spacers (WHS-002)

A common problem when you run larger than stock tires on the OEM wheels is that they hit at full lock. You can either ran spacers or upgrade to wheels with the correct backspacing. In October I purchased a set of 5 Moabs I intended to have powdercoated which would require spacers.

I stumped across two pairs of brand new Spidertrax 1-1/4" spacers (WHS-002) for a great price on eBay and snatched them up.

The spacers are very high quality and nicely packaged.

As expected the install is very straight forward; remove the wheels, add loctite to the studs and install the spacers using the supplied lug nuts. It was really nice to see Spidertrax include loctite where as many other companies would have just suggested the use of it.

I tried the snap some before and after pictures.

Before:

After:

06 Silver LJ
Savvy 4" lift with aluminum CA -- Currie AntiRock (Front) -- Currie F/R Trackbars -- Savvy Modular Under Armor
BF Goodrich T/A KO 285/75/16 on 16" Moab powdercoated black -- Vanco 16" big brake kit
JeeperMan swing-away tire carrier with tub extensions (JSPUex)
Four X Doctor Rocker Guards
Hella E-Code Housings -- ARB H4 Headlight Harness (M002) -- KC 130 watt SlimLite mounted on windshield
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hit the trails yet?
Unread 08-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #33
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJUSTINm View Post
Hit the trails yet?
Yes, although it did not go so well. Yesterday we headed up Gold Mtn Rd (3N69) off of Shore Dr (Hwy 18). The switchbacks were easy and we stopped to grab a cache.

The trouble started when we came up to a shelf that I immediately had some doubts about (Why do pictures never turn out as extreme as the situation looks in person? ).

I took a bad line and managed to hang up on the front passenger control arm (Easily bending the mounts). Fortunately we managed to strategically place some rocks and got unstuck. It was getting late so we turned around and headed back down.

Today we stopped by the Discovery Center to pick up a Gold Fever Trail map to take it slow. We took Polique Canyon Rd to Holcomb Valley Rd and continued all the way to the Lucky Baldwin Mine behind Gold Mountain.

Seeing the entrance to Gold Mtn Rd (3N69) off of Holcomb Valley Rd I am glad we did not make it all the way through (At least until I can get Savvy under amour and lockers) considering we were alone (Another reason never to wheel alone).

We headed back West on Holcomb Valley Rd and turned north on to Arctic Canyon Road. We followed Arctic Canyon Road as it turned west and eventually opened up to a clearing where we were greeted with the entrance to John Bull Trail. Along the way we ran in to a three-wheeler that did not make it. Along the whole route and up the John Bull Trail there were orange arrows spray painted which I assume were from a recent run.

06 Silver LJ
Savvy 4" lift with aluminum CA -- Currie AntiRock (Front) -- Currie F/R Trackbars -- Savvy Modular Under Armor
BF Goodrich T/A KO 285/75/16 on 16" Moab powdercoated black -- Vanco 16" big brake kit
Hella E-Code Housings -- ARB H4 Headlight Harness (M002) -- KC 130 watt SlimLite mounted on windshield
Unread 08-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #34
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That ledge is stacked a lot! Fun trail, you should try it again when you feel more confident. That's really the only hard part. I ran gold Mtn, to 3n16, to the gatekeeper of John Bull. At the time I didn't have an engine skid so I stopped there.

Whenever I get my regear done and have 4x4 again you'll have to come along with us. We can spot ya to keep you out of trouble.

Before rocker guards, engine skid, and corner guards. Gotta pick your lines wisely!

Looks like you still had a good time. I'm itching to get up there again.
Unread 08-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #35
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice detailed write up , your going to love the clearance that the Under Armor gives you .
Unread 09-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lots of big things coming. I ordered a Jeeperman JSPUex tire carrier on Monday which should be here in a few weeks.

I am still shopping front axles (I really do not want to spend any money on the D30 but a ProRock 44 is just outside of my budget at the moment). There is a D44 with an ARB and 4.88 in the classifieds by Long Beach I am thinking about picking up. Seeing as I am a light wheeler and will probably never go above 35" it should be more than enough. If I ever break it I could go up to a ProRock 44.

As soon as Savvy is ready to go with the modular under armor I should be getting one. I just need to get the JB SS SYE and a driveshaft in prep of the motor mount and transfer case lift (I still need to install the Novak 2K2XC cable shifter kit I picked up a few months back as well).

Finally, I still need to finish the build thread to include the Savvy control arms, 33" and Fox shocks.

06 Silver LJ
Unread 09-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #37
Trendsetter75
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
KC Windshield SlimLite and Carling Contura rocker switches

Around this time we had made several trips to Yucca Valley for camping. This often included some night time excursus and I felt the headlamps just were not cutting it. Being a nut for lighting as you learned earlier I ordered up a pair of KC HiLiTES windshield light mount brackets and KC HiLiTES 121 slimLite black 130-Watt long range light.

I did not care much for the included KC switch so I started looking for options. I was quickly directed to OTRATTW. I went a bit over board when placing the order but my mind was racing with different mounting options. I knew I wanted to maintain as stock a look as possible. For the time being an sPOD was not an option.

I decided the blank space next to the 12v outlets (On 97-02 the ashtray is installed here. For the 03-06 they switched to a cup holder ashtray) would make a great spot. I busted out the trusty dremel and quickly had a OEM looking setup.

Tell me where you got those 3 switches from. Windshield, backup, and driving lights from?
Unread 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #38
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 View Post
Tell me where you got those 3 switches from. Windshield, backup, and driving lights from?
Give Jim at OTRATTW a call. He has the best prices and inventory on Carling Tech switches and accessories.

http://www.otrattw.com/

06 Silver LJ
Unread 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #39
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I finally decided that a replacement axle was just not in the budget. Robert at RWK Haus Supply knocked out my re-gear from 3.73 to 4.88 on Saturday. It really is night and day and I am very happy with the outcome. I still need to burn through a few more tanks to compile data on MPG increases if any.

I did a lot of research before deciding on 4.88 and it was definitely the right choice for my 33". Below are some of the threads I used to influence my decision in addition to consulting with Gerald at Savvy.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/33...ml#post9838564
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/be...e-33s-1075318/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/id...earing-1066982
http://www.omninerd.com/articles/Imp...uel_Efficiency

06 Silver LJ
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #40
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Moab powder coated semi-gloss black

I never found pictures of the Moab I picked up off of eBay in October of 2011 but they looked just like every other set. In March of 2012 I finally got around to dropping them off at Islands Powder Coating to be powder coated semi-gloss black. I picked them up a week later in April and they really came out great. Looking forward to finally completing the suspension and getting the tires mounted.

06 Silver LJ
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #41
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

SpeedoHealer SHV4A-J01

During the JeepForum 2012 Big Giveaway! I discovered the SpeedoHealer Jeep Plug-n-Play Kit (SHV4A-J01) that Blue Monkey Motorsports was giving away. I tossed my entry in the thread but like the others I came up empty handy.

With the onset of new tires and eventual gear changes I did not want to waste money on speedo gears. I contacted Blue Monkey Motorsports and placed my order directly with Todd who added on the JeepForum discount. Mid march the SpeedoHealer units were back ordered but a few weeks later the unit showed up.

I will cover the install and configuration later on with the new tires and gear change.

06 Silver LJ
Unread 10-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #42
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice. I still need to regear. Should have it done by December, I hope.
Unread 10-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #43
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJUSTINm View Post
Nice. I still need to regear. Should have it done by December, I hope.
Have you done an SYE yet? Since going up to 4.88 the transfer case is "howling" on de-acceleration (Verified on jack stands with a second opinion). It looks like the increased RPM brought to light problems with the driveshaft/angle.

I ordered a JB Conversions SS SYE last week and need to figure out the driveshaft length (Plus wiggle room for the MML).

06 Silver LJ
Unread 10-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #44
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nope no SYE. Still running the stock driveshaft.
Unread 10-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #45
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

JB Conversions super short SYE was delivered today and the Tom Woods driveshaft shipped and should be here by Friday.

Went down to Tustin last night and paid Gerald a visit before he left for SEMA. Lots of fun changes happening this weekend.

06 Silver LJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.