Savvy/Currie inspired LJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Savvy/Currie inspired LJ

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Soft Top

Come August I decided I wanted to add a soft top to the mix and specifically one with the Sunrider feature. For anyone else looking for a soft top the Sunrider is standard on all LJ soft tops (I have yet to see one without it).

I found no shortage of LJ soft tops for sale and all at reasonable prices. Unfortunately, they were all out of state (Mostly on the east coast) and no one was willing to ship. Out of curiosity I inquired with my local dealer. For ~$1,500 I could bring home a brand new soft top .

Continuing to check the JeepForum Classifieds, Craigslist and eBay at least once a day I finally found one on eBay in Los Angeles. The seller advertised it as being brand new (including the frame, top, windows and door surrounds) and was asking $600. With no other bids I offered $300, we negotiated and settled on $400.

It was not until I got the top home and tried to install it I discovered I was missing a few pieces. After searching around on JeepForum I discovered I need the bow knuckles and the soft top roll bar bow brackets. After a little research I ordered a set of Bestop Quick-Release Bow Knuckles (P/N: 51290-01) from Summit Racing. I turned to Quadratec and ordered the soft top bow brackets (Left: 55395225AC, Right: 55395224AC).

With all the right parts in hand we got it installed. Being the first time I had ever worked with a soft top I thought I was doing it wrong as the cloth was so tight. Make sure to let it sit in the sun to loosen up.

This warning always gives me a good chuckle.

Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #17
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good so far. We'll have to meet up sometime and do some wheeling when I have 4x4 again!
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJUSTINm View Post
Looks good so far. We'll have to meet up sometime and do some wheeling when I have 4x4 again!
Yes! I have been shopping Currie HP44 axles so I can fix my gear ratio and get a locker upfront.

I am actually in Big Bear this week until Sunday. We took Mill Creek Rd (2N10) yesterday to 2N17/2N08, recconnected to Skyline Rd (2N10) and looped around.

I am thinking about driving up Gold Mountain today. Are there any trails you can recommend?

06 Silver LJ
Savvy 4" lift with aluminum CA -- Currie AntiRock (Front) -- Currie F/R Trackbars -- Savvy Modular Under Armor
BF Goodrich T/A KO 285/75/16 on 16" Moab powdercoated black -- Vanco 16" big brake kit
JeeperMan swing-away tire carrier with tub extensions (JSPUex)
Four X Doctor Rocker Guards
Hella E-Code Housings -- ARB H4 Headlight Harness (M002) -- KC 130 watt SlimLite mounted on windshield
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tuffy Glove Box

Mid August of 2011 I added a Tuffy Glove Box to compliment the rear storage box. I ordered directly from Tuffy as I had a hard time finding the dark slate (08) interior color. Tuffy is located in Colorado so within a few days I had the glove box and started on the install.

Tuffy did a great job matching up the color and the fit is seamless. I really wish Jeep would contract with Tuffy to offer these from the factory.

Due to the material and added security of the glove box the storage space is a bit restricted. However, I have had no problem fitting everything I had in the OEM glove box and it is much more secure.

Loosen up two wingnuts and you get quick access to the fuses. Unlike the OEM glove box you can just unclip you really have to empty out the Tuffy glove box or else it will empty itself.

06 Silver LJ
Savvy 4" lift with aluminum CA -- Currie AntiRock (Front) -- Currie F/R Trackbars -- Savvy Modular Under Armor
BF Goodrich T/A KO 285/75/16 on 16" Moab powdercoated black -- Vanco 16" big brake kit
Hella E-Code Housings -- ARB H4 Headlight Harness (M002) -- KC 130 watt SlimLite mounted on windshield
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Shopping for new suspension

Late August it had become very obvious that the five year old suspension was getting tired and in need of replacement. I snapped some pictures and posted up a thread here to find out more about the budget boost/coil spacers and shocks. I quickly found out not only did I have tired suspension but I was also missing jounce bumpers, bumpstop cups and bumpstops.

The polyurethane coil spacers measure out to exactly 3". They have no writing or model numbers on them and I have only found other 3" for sale on eBay. With the shocks I ran in to the same problem; no manufacture or model number.

I put a call in to Gerald at Savvy Offroad. Gerald gladly looked up the thread and reviewed the setup with me. Gerald took his time explaining the difference between the 3" and 4" coils and Fox shocks. We also went over the need for control arms and track bars.

06 Silver LJ
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
Yes! I have been shopping Currie HP44 axles so I can fix my gear ratio and get a locker upfront.

I am actually in Big Bear this week until Sunday. We took Mill Creek Rd (2N10) yesterday to 2N17/2N08, recconnected to Skyline Rd (2N10) and looped around.

I am thinking about driving up Gold Mountain today. Are there any trails you can recommend?
Lucky! I love Big Bear. Gold Mountain is fun, only one real tough spot. Dishpan Springs (3n34) is one of my favorites. If you want more of a challenge, check out John Bull (3n10) or Holcomb Creek (3n93). Jacoby Canyon (3n61) is a short (half hour) easy trail but I really like it. Cool trail tucked in the hills.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down. Hope you're out there wheeling with someone! If not I'd stay away from the more difficult trails, although on weekends theres always people running them.
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
harrell79cj5
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice writeup and it looks like you are doing things right! Keep up the good work!
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #23
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fog lights

The LJ was originally equipped with fog lights but the previous owner removed them. Being a big fan of lighting I was on the hunt for a set of fogs. They frequently show up in the classifieds here but are rather expensive.

I finally found a set on Craigslist and took a drive to Rancho Cucamonga to pick them up. When I got there the seller was unable to find them so we turned around and headed back. Just 10 minutes after leaving I received a call they found them and turned around again. The seller felt so bad he gave them to me for free. We spent a few minutes chatting about my Tuffy storage and glove box. Once I get home I tore them apart to clean all the dirt and mud off and hooked them up. One of the housings was cracked but they are still functional.

I later picked up a second set of fog lights with cracked lenses. I plan to swap over the housings at some point.

06 Silver LJ
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lucky! I love Big Bear. Gold Mountain is fun, only one real tough spot. Dishpan Springs (3n34) is one of my favorites. If you want more of a challenge, check out John Bull (3n10) or Holcomb Creek (3n93). Jacoby Canyon (3n61) is a short (half hour) easy trail but I really like it. Cool trail tucked in the hills.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down. Hope you're out there wheeling with someone! If not I'd stay away from the more difficult trails, although on weekends theres always people running them.
I am up here with family so I have the only rig. I have been looking around to see if anyone wants to meet up for a run.

We will definitely do Gold Mountain and I will check out Jacoby Canyon. I am more about seeing the sights but I do enjoy the occasional challenge.

06 Silver LJ
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrell79cj5 View Post
Nice writeup and it looks like you are doing things right! Keep up the good work!
Thank you! I should hopefully be all caught up by today with the Savvy/Currie 4" springs and Fox shocks.

06 Silver LJ
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #26
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
I am up here with family so I have the only rig. I have been looking around to see if anyone wants to meet up for a run.

We will definitely do Gold Mountain and I will check out Jacoby Canyon. I am more about seeing the sights but I do enjoy the occasional challenge.
Maybe check out myjeeprocks.com. There's gotta be someone willing to go out with ya!
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #27
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Seeing as how American Flags and Jeeps tend to go hand in hand I had been looking for a pair of black and white flags in the proper orientation. Browsing the What did you do to your TJ today? thread in October I spotted someone with exactly what I had been looking for.

I headed over to PixelDecals and ordered a pair. A few days later they showed up and I got them installed. I used a sharpie to help align them which easily wiped off.

06 Silver LJ
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe check out myjeeprocks.com. There's gotta be someone willing to go out with ya!
Thank you! We had some thunder earlier but the weather is still great. I found they are doing a night run Saturday up John Bull. I still don't have a rear tire carrier/spare tire or proper recovery gear so I will probably pass.

06 Silver LJ
Unread 08-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #29
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tired of getting my doors dinged up and looking for some added protection I started shopping for rocker guards. I wanted to support a local business and decided on the Four X Doctor Rocker Guards. Mike is a great guy, a bit grumpy at times but he makes some quality products.

We got started by test fitting the rockers. I had to remove the front mud flaps and flares.

We marked all the holes and removed the rockers to drill. Mounted the rockers again to check fitment and finally mounted them up.

Here is the final product a few days later.

06 Silver LJ
Unread 08-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #30
Mboelts
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Love to see another Silver LJ, looks great so far!!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KCCO!
Mboelts is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.