"Sarge" LJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Sarge" LJ Build Thread

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 02-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Tripwire21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

"Sarge" LJ Build Thread

Okay after being inspired by several builds of this forum, I have decided to build my own thread. It is time Sarge got some recognition for his hard labor!

So here it goes...

After being gone for nearly 10 years (military then security contracting overseas) my Commander and Chief (that would be my wife) made the executive order to bring me home and keep me east bound and down.

A law enforcement instructor position opened up at the FLETC compound near my home and I said that I would take it on one condition...That I got to buy another jeep. (I had to sell my previous 01 2.5 4 banger "Commandant" before I left for Iraq in 2008)...She agreed to my one condition therefore after a long thought out thorough conducive search...the purchase was made!!! I bought a 2006 LJ! He had just over 40,000 miles on him and already had a 4in RC lift and new 35x12.50r15 BFG all terrains on Mickey Thompson Black signature series rims. Also, he had DBA survival series rotors. I could not of asked for a better deal!
My wife and I didn't have the jeep off of the lot for more than 5 minutes before he was given the name "Sarge"!

Here is a pic shown just off of the lot.

I want to do this build right so I am going to go back and log everything I have done to Sarge, since I got him 4 months ago. I will be adding pics as I go as well.

In order, I have added or adding:
1. Magnaflow Converter with Dynomax super turbo muffler (pro installed)
2. 8 inch Vector sub with amp and Ipod adapter to stock radio (Installed)
3. Rancho rear bumper and tire carrier (Installed)
4. 1.25 JKS BL and Shifter relocation bracket (Installed)
5. Smittybilt seat covers
6. Besttop Hi-rock front bumper
7. Olympic rock sliders
8. Rampage frameless soft top
9. Hella Black magic off-road lights

I appreciate any info or experience that anyone can offer! Hope you enjoy the build!

Unread 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Tripwire21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The Rancho Rear Tire Carrier...

Installing this carrier was sort of a headache probably because I decided to do the install myself and by myself! Right off the back the instructions were okay...Nothing to fancy but not un useful either. Getting the factory bumper off was no problem, however the first problem I ran into was the pre drilled holes on the Rancho to secure the bumper didn't exactly line up with the holes on my frame. That made for a pain in the a$$, especially since the bumper needed to be exactly lined up so that the spots could be marked for the holes to be drilled. I urge that anyone who buys this bumper to be careful when drilling these two holes because they are so close to the back of the hub (ill post a pic). After the holes were drilled the rest was pretty easy. Again the bolts didn't line up perfectly, but I was able to work them in. After installing and tightening down the bumper I installed the tire carrier. The carrier went on much easier than the bumper. Some small flaws to note however is the degree of the post that the carrier swings on. My degree was off a little off which didn't allow the swing portion to close properly. This was alleviated although once I put the tire on (a little) It still catches a little. Another problem was the pin that secures the carrier to the bumper. The pin was bigger than the pre existing hole on the carrier and bumper. I had to drill out the hole a little bigger to get the pin in. I do give Rancho kudos to putting a spot on the back of the bumper to store a hi lift jack. There is also enough room to custom install a jerry can or two if one wishes.

These were all minor flaws that would keep me from giving this product 5 out of 5 stars! Overall though I am satisfied with the bumper seeing how I got it off of Amazon for only 280 bucks shipped to my door. The bumper is priced at 500. With the price that I got it for, I can eat the flaws.

Here are some pics of the carrier installed

Unread 02-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Good looking LJ. Killer deal on that Rancho bumper! I would snag one at that price too.

What State is that where you are sat with your rifle? And thank you for your service.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

that is a gorgeous rig. well played sir.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
Tripwire21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit View Post
Good looking LJ. Killer deal on that Rancho bumper! I would snag one at that price too

What State is that where you are sat with your rifle? And thank you for your service.
Thanks man! That was taken in the Lowgar (mts.) providence outside of Kabul Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
that is a gorgeous rig. well played sir.
Thanks man! Gotta have that APC ready at all times...don't know when the N. Koreans, Russians, or zombies decide to take a stab at us Red Blooded Patriots
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Things are coming along nicely I see.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
STIFLER
2005 LJ Wrangler 

first and foremost thanks for your service! Nice rig cant wait to follow the build... I know FLETC well my wife and a lot of our friends are ICE here in FL
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Tripwire21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIFLER View Post
first and foremost thanks for your service! Nice rig cant wait to follow the build... I know FLETC well my wife and a lot of our friends are ICE here in FL
Stifler...Thanks man, I thank you for your service as well!! Yeah It's nice to make all of the contacts at FLETC...ICE, CBP, Courts, USCG etc. Im going to update the thread hopefully some more today!
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Tripwire21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Update...1.25 JKS body lift went on tonight! The body lift went on smooth but the shifter relocation bracket was a mess and it came with no instructions...modify, modify, modify...regardless took 3 hours total and Sarge looks awesome...plan on posting pics tommorow!
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to seeing how it came out.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
scrambled
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your service man. Nice LJ, bunch of us here in Myrtle Beach is you ever want some folks to wheel with.
*Drake Off Road Products
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwire21 View Post
Thanks man! Gotta have that APC ready at all times...don't know when the N. Koreans, Russians, or zombies decide to take a stab at us Red Blooded Patriots

Twitter @dutchoven86
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
Tripwire21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
Thanks for your service man. Nice LJ, bunch of us here in Myrtle Beach is you ever want some folks to wheel with.
Scrambled,

Im all about that man! Do you guys have a club or just get together?
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
Tripwire21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ok so here is the breakdown of the JKS body lift and Shifter extension bracket...

First off, it is a blessing to have a neighbor (good friend) that has a full shop in his back yard with a hydraulic lift!

We started just after 7 p.m. Here are the pics of the measurements taken before the lift went on.
The front measured out at about 39 3/8"

The back measured out at about 39 7/8"

Sarge going up for the lift kit install

Putting the kit on took literally like 30 minutes and that was with bs'ing and checking out Sarge's under carriage!

Pic of all pucks in place!

Not going with the MML, we had to modify the fan shoud...with the right tool it went fast!

Just when we thought this was going to be easy...HA...the damn SHIFTER EXTENSION BRACKET stepped up to shut us down...

First off the extension didn't come with any instructions! So we googled what we could and then made sense of the rest! One of the extension pieces that came with the kit didn't quite fit into the relocation bracket so we had to grind that down first! Next the shifter itself didn't fit into the relocation bracket, so that too had to be grinded down!! This maybe what happens when we outsource!...just a thought! Regardless we got the pieces grinded and in place...Once in the shifter was still hitting the bottom of the sealing plastic and rubber bracket that went over hull...

So we had to modify that too! It was sort of a headache...but we got it done...

Once everything was done we lowered Sarge back down and checked the additional clearance...This is what we got!
Front we measured out at 41"

The rear measured out at 41 7/8"

Overall we got +1 5/8" gain in the front and full +2" in the rear...3 hours but it got done...

Sarge this morning before teaching my CrossFit Class

Let me know what you guys think?
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good!

I cant believe the extension for the shifter didn't come with instructions. Oh well. you got it, and That's all that matters.

But damn bro, you got a clean looking rig.

PS. I did crossfit once...*shudders* you are disgusting...

Twitter @dutchoven86

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.