salvage-titled WJ money pit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > salvage-titled WJ money pit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

salvage-titled WJ money pit

2004 WJ Special Edition, 102,968 miles (on original engine... 32 more miles and it's pulled)

Done:
-Gas caps x3- finally got one off a wrecked-for-real 2004 that fits the bill
-O2 sensors x2 (now Mopar, all is well with the world)
-All axle shafts- every single one was bent
-Rotors/pads/calipers all the way around, complete brake system flush to go with it
-All new tie rods, sway bars, steering stabilizer
-fuel pump x2
-driveline U joint
-TPS
-struts all the way around
-shocks x2, need new ones... will get good ones this time, I didn't know
-wrangler rims (none of mine matched) tires (also none matched...)
-pinion seal
-replace check engine light, hahahaha
-replace entire glove box, latch no longer worked
-patched console crack with JB weld, going to sand and plastidip w/ EVIC
-flattened/repaired/cleaned shifter blinds
-engine install

What I need for rebuild to be complete (to my knowledge)
-Jeep decal for hood
-4.0 decal for liftgate
-(silver) special edition decal for driver's side door
-door panels in front
-lock actutator rear drivers (works most of the time)
-new rear seats/seat belts on passenger side and middle by default
-driver's side seat belt clip and wiring
-airbag module that is in better looking shape
-various electrical routing will get into specifics later

To do in next month:
-oil change (15 40 again until we hit Seattle)
-lube brakes
-service differentials
-recharge A/C
-attach skids
-move around some stuff in passenger fender well---
-put in fender liners
-fix fog lamp on passenger side

Mods I'm looking into for the next year or so:
-stereo system
-new muffler and maybe cats (magnaflow)
-tint windows
-transmission rebuild
-exterior work will elaborate in a bit
-new lights all around
-steering column rebuild, possibly upgrade power steering pump to durango?

Here is the jeep now- some work done, but a long ways to go. As a side note, you can see the drivers side damage all along even from this distance...

cimg2893_zpscc5f8c4b.jpg  
AdamWY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

Evap canister bracket fun and more: Note how the canister does not line up to be bolted to the bracket- that is after I bent it back. Not going to mess with it anymore for the time being, that was close enough.
cimg2870_zpscde1e55b.jpg   cimg2872_zpsf98feb30.jpg  
Unread 05-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

Got 2 new chip keys programmed (not because I wanted to...) and the jeep is currently parked at my uncle's at 102992 miles- will roll over to 103k this weekend and install the new engine. Hoping to do a write up but will be difficult because I may not be there for the entirety of the job as I'm on call at the clinic. Pictures to follow. To-do list is enormous...

Wish me luck.
Unread 05-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

Engine is pulled... what a cluster. It came out really easily, it was getting at those transmission to engine bolts- holy cow. They weren't E torx either, as I was expecting. So I have that wrench but didn't need it. I'm fairly certain the cherokee has them though, so it'll come in handy eventually. I'm trying to replace the passenger upper control arm, the axle mount side is bent, got that off, but the frame side bolt has basically no head to it, so I'm not having any luck. Going to get some wrenches today specially for that and hope I can get it out. If not... you can't get to it with an impact gun, the front of the trans is in the way, definitely not going to be able to drill it out/tap it... so I may end up just putting the crap one back on. Hell, I might literally have to drop the trans to do anything with it. Not sure on that one. My uncle and I are still messing with it.
Unread 05-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

Engine back in according to my uncle. Was sick yesterday so didn't make it out there... Not sure on progress. Will have a few pictures but no write up, unfortunately. If it had been up to me we would have taken lots of pictures and I could have wrote down info as we went. Not sure if jeep is put back together yet, just know the engine is in. Which is good, they needed their garage today so now they can push it back out into the road and we can deal with the rest of it when it is more convenient for them. I don't need it done right this second- I've been driving my girlfriend's cherokee, and she's driving her infiniti. Good thing I got her As a side note, I think the exhaust will be next on mine. I'm leaning towards a magnaflow universal (I know which one I need) muffler, and the high flow dual cats that come off the exhaust manifold. They're super expensive but they'll last forever and I've read nothing but good things about them. The muffler is only like $100 so that's definitely do-able (after we get moved that is). I don't think I'd put headers on it- I haven't found any solid info that headers on a 4.0 actually makes sense. I mean, I bought a new 4.0, I suppose I could have stroked and went a little crazy- then yeah, headers would have made a bit of sense. But it's a 4.0 and it's staying that way for likely a long time, so headers seems pretty silly to me. The high flow cats seem legit, but I'm still not 100% sure on that one. And honestly, the muffler is more for sound than anything. I'll be the first to admit I just plain love the sound of a magnaflow. I don't know how much performance I would actually get out of it, but the sound is great and that means something to me, even if it is stupid. Then the interior. On the to-do list for the next month I have:
x install all new sway bar bushings
x install tie rod boots
x if control arm isn't replaced/axle mount fixed via uncle, get that done. I won't attempt myself. I don't care if I have to pay someone, it needs to be done correctly.
x alignment
x install fender liners
x get dent out of rear bumper (can push out I'm sure, will need more leverage though/help b/c tried when I did the evap canister and it wasn't happening.)
x continue vacuum line overhaul- decided to just use the stupid hspi lines, get them to send me more that I need/didn't come with it. Some of the extra will work on the cherokee, too, which is also on the list because I think it could use it.
x pwm relay replace- was not able to find it when we tore apart front end. Had fender liners out, entire cooling system (and engine for that matter) a/c, etc, bumper, header panel... everything. Could not find anything that resembled it. Will have to do some digging and chase lines to see what is going on. Front was hit hard when it was salvaged in 2005.
x recharge A/C- had to discharge it for engine swap (well- maybe didn't have to, but didn't want to dick with it.)

If anybody has any input on the exhaust let me know. Will post pictures of new engine, etc when I get the chance.
Hope everybody is good.
Unread 05-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

Engine in, running beautifully. I'm incredibly happy with it. There's a few things that concerned me about the new engine, but pictures and documentation have been taken, so if anything happens I will definitely have a leg to stand on. Seems okay though, and ran great so. Coolant flushed and corrected added this time (whoever had it before had the wrong stuff in it)- now I get to wonder what caused engine failure, perhaps we can take it apart before sending it back. I almost don't want to send it back anyways, but I can't really go about hauling it off to washington with me, so. Sigh.

Control arm got replaced... finally. My uncle literally had to loosen the entire front end to rotate everything. Man I love him! What a freaking pain in the butt. He bent the axle side bracket back to the correct position, too. Said nothing wanted to fit, so I'm a bit worried now that the part that was sent to me was the wrong fit... can't know for sure because the one on there was so mangled, there's no way to tell if it's the same part. Regardless though, I'm getting it aligned later next week. I'll do the sway bars this weekend for good measure if the gf lets me.

And as a side note, that pwm rad relay is no where to be found. We searched everywhere- and we have the whole front off, there's no where to hide. I guess I will do some more searching and see, but otherwise, not sure what to do there. Would need to find the correct wires to slice into if it's just gone but that's way out of my league. Anyone have any ideas?
cimg2945_zpsa5602598.jpg  
Unread 06-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

Okay so jeep is giving me 340, 351, 352, 353.. I replaced the camshaft position sensor this morning based on my research into the codes. It looks like it could also be the crankshaft position sensor, but since that one is more difficult to get to, and because I know that my camshaft position sensor was rigged before (more into that later), I decided on it first. I got one at the parts store, nothing from the dealer, so I suppose if it doesn't work, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Though, as a side note, the one I took off was exactly the same- same part number, same inscription on the top, so I'm wondering if it was a non-dealer part anyways. The jeep stalled twice on my way home from work Saturday night, started back up fine and stalled again a few minutes later. Made it home from work alright. My new engine has just under 25 miles on it. When we started it up initially it gave the 340, but it was running okay and I wanted to disconnect the battery again and let it reset. Which I did and by the time I got home Saturday night it gave me the four above. I'm heading to work now and will report back. Hopefully all is well. If anyone else has any ideas as to what it could be I'd love to hear your input.
Unread 06-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

Here's a pic of the painted tank and my new liners are in the picture, too.. those are not replaced yet. In the next picture, you can see my latest issue. Can't get the liner applied because there is stuff hanging down in the way that doesn't belong. Will be moving/rerouting it the best I can. Not even sure my jeep has airbags. Those impact sensors aren't even all plugged in, anyways...
And the camshaft position sensor pics- so easy to get to. It's about time something nice happened.

No more codes, jeep hasn't stalled since the camshaft position sensor was replaced. Running pretty good. Idle still odd- much better now that I have compression, but still not like it's supposed to be. No vacuum leaks that I can find, thinking it's fuel or ignition related. Going to drive it for now, run some injector cleaner after my break in, then go from there. I can get a new set for $100 bucks.

Installed the washer tank (looks/works great), and put in new bushings for the front sway bar/links. Need to readjust it though. My front end is a bit mangled so things don't want to fit correctly. Will post pictures. Going to have three days off before we get moved, thinking about using a bedliner on my hood, bumpers, and grille. Want to do my whole jeep but I need to replace both front fenders, drivers rear quarter, and do something about the two dents in the liftgate before I do any painting on the rest of the body. The bumpers are only primed though and I'd hate for them to keep getting scruffed up, and the hood has a huge spot where the paint is peeled and it's now down to bare metal... rust will soon follow. Debating between monstaliner and raptor liner. My hold up is that I want to be able to save what I don't use... so... raptor? As a side note, think I'm going to install an aftermarket head this next week.
cimg2952_zps476984c4.jpg   cimg2955_zpse0b1b22d.jpg   cimg2959_zps49386b16.jpg   cimg2960_zps2e502bab.jpg  
Unread 06-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

As far as body damage goes, I've got a new pictures to show how messed up some of these panels are. Above you can see my passenger wheel well, clearly rusted, clearly stuff isn't aligned... will need to replace more than just the front fenders and other outer panels. In order to get things in a condition I would be happy with I will have to do something about this managed mess underneath the panels, too. Here's some shots so you can see how my front end doesn't align up. The bumper/grille/header panel is brand new. Headlights don't sit correctly, the drivers side front fender is bent pretty good, too, have a very hard time even getting the headlight to fit in, much less not stick out. Everything is a wreck. Pun intended.
cimg2950_zpsdfda909a.jpg   cimg2949_zps5c53c812.jpg   cimg2948_zpsb9ef94f7.jpg   img_0436_zps551f13a7.jpg  
Unread 06-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

And as a side note, here's my seat covers. I think they're pretty rad, only thing is they were supposed to be custom and I had to cut holes to run my heated seats wiring, and the power seat controls. They will be terrible to remove when I wash them (lets be honest, maybe like once a year). I literally took both seats out of the jeep and did all the work in my kitchen. Luckily though, I was able to clean the tracks out real well, and then I lubricated them with silicone lube before I put them back and now they don't squeak. Simple pleasures. I will be putting in an aftermarket head whenever it shows up. I hope it isn't too difficult. I also going to remove my 10 disc changer (broken anyways) and fab something to go there eventually. Sub or camping-related. Haven't decided. Bonus lady and spaniel.
img_0384_zpsc213c03b.jpg  
Unread 06-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

Haven't had a chance to do anything in like a week. Going to get my rear seat put in today and if I'm lucky I'll do a quick vacuum and clean all surfaces before I start permanently loading the jeep for the move. Hoping to get my fender liners in this weekend.. I'm on call, but as long as I'm just doing my normal stuff and don't actually have to do anything extra, I should have a couple hours a day to devote to getting that wreck figured out. I'll make sure to take plenty of pictures. I'd also like to get the differentials on my gf's cherokee this weekend...
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

Move went well, jeep did pretty good. Spend well over $50 trying to get my a/c charged and working. It blows cold.... ish, but doesn't have a lot behind it. I think I will have to tear the dash out if I ever want something that is capable of driving around with the windows up. For now, I'm not worried about it. The jeep ran okay, got 20-21 MPG on the interstate, doing about 60-65. Overall pretty happy with that. In town has been good, too. Overall right under 1600 miles on the new engine. I dropped 10/30 in it within a week of arriving in WA, got that 15/40 out. Cam should be good, got about 1500 on the zinc in the diesel. Now it's running rough, not like before with the low compression but it definitely feels wrong. Pulling codes 1391, 353, 352, 340. I already replaced the camshaft position sensor. It seemed to help. Now it's running like before and I've stalled twice. It starts right back up, but it stalled exactly like it did before I replaced the sensor. Right now I'm trying to look into the electrical side of things... pulled my coil, wires all look pretty good... Behind the valve cover there's a wire bundle that travels between the coil and whatever that thing is called that attaches to the injectors... the tape is melted and looks pretty rough. I ran my fingers over each individual wire, the light green one and the blue/red one were the only two that may possibly be damaged. Possibly. They looked well enough but I could maybe talk myself into them having some of the covering eroded away. I'm hoping to get my friend to help me test some wires and try and find what's causing it. The rough idle (between about 5-600 RPMs) and the stalling are my biggest concerns. I also need to pull my rear brake pads and rotors and either get the **** resurfaced or install new. That will wait until after I figure out this whole idling thing. Runs great until it idles down... shifts well, gets up and goes like you would expect from a new engine. Very happy with that. The idle/stalling is making me nervous. Anyone here know anything about electrical stuff and could walk me through some troubleshooting? I am struggling. Even if I could get a general idea what needs to be done I could pay someone and at least not feel like I'm being completely ripped off.
Unread 08-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
cowgirllup
2000 WJ 

The crankshaft is a pain in the *** but that's what it sounds like. Mine stalled a lot when it was bad. Not expensive, and definitely worth doing.

2000 WJ I6 150K. Always looking for ideas!
cowgirllup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #14
SilverVlad

Me too

I also have an '04 Special Edition. As much as I love it, it is also a money pit. Something about that year and model. I have had to do numerous repairs and am barely starting with my mods. Looking forward to see what you do.
SilverVlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.