Saga of the Black 05 LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Saga of the Black 05 LJ

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Saga of the Black 05 LJ

After having my 97 TJ for almost 10 years, finally comes a time that I have to part with it. Late December 2014 I picked up a Black 2005 LJ, 6speed, with just over 9k miles on it. Both hard and soft tops.

Here is my 97 TJ that's for sale currently.

Now onto the LJ...

The Jeep is completely stock, has not seen a day of snow and was barely driven in the rain. The PO purchased it back in 05 and never really drove it, he never even took the hard top off and the soft top is still rolled up in the rear from the factory with the wrapping still.

Now here is some pictures.

When I went to pick it up.

As you can see, the PO didn't even sit no the actual seats. He sat on blankets..

Soft top still wrapped up as from factory..

Also, the under carriage is spotless. He had the Jeep undercoated even though it never was winter driven. The markings on the bolts can still be read.

Engine is also very clean with still factory markings everywhere.

Here are the two jeeps side by side

First order of business was getting my tires mounted over, front speakers and put my radio into the LJ. Took some improvising on how to get this done as I wanted to keep the ravines. I had to take the tires over to a shop to be unmounted and balanced but that meant leaving a Jeep tireless.. Good thing that both Jeeps had spares

Here it is now sitting on my 31s now..

Just a couple of shots from the Jeep.. Love the all black look. At first I didn't like the chrome grille but it seems to be growing on me the more I look at it. I'm a big anti chrome on a Jeep but this one I might have to keep

On the maintenance list right away were to replace the OPDA, new oil and filter (Wix & Mobil 1 Synthetic) and also I checked and greased up all the front boots on the Jeep. Considering the Jeep has just over 9k miles, hopefully the repair list stays low for the time being and I can just enjoy the Jeep.

The old OPDA appeared to have some wear on it, kind hard to see but it wasn't nearly as bad as some others I've seen.

With every Jeep there is quirks, this one has some minor ones but I think I am still getting used to the 6cylinder and 6speed tranny compared to my 2.5L & AX15.

- Rear window appears to be rattling a bit over bumps and doesn't seem to like to sit in the actual soft top window holders.

- Shifting 1st & 2nd seems little notchy and just appears a bit odd. Appears to be normal though for these transmission from what I read.

- The gear pattern emblem on the shifter is sideways and I want to turn it around so its straight while looking at the shifter.

- While reversing and if I suddenly let go of the clutch it sounds like a clack comes from the Jeep. Not sure if this is a characteristic of NSG370 transmission or what? I checked underneath the transmission mount is solid. Anyone have ideas what this could be?

Unread 05-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
jbjorgen

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post

- While reversing and if I suddenly let go of the clutch it sounds like a clack comes from the Jeep. Not sure if this is a characteristic of NSG370 transmission or what? I checked underneath the transmission mount is solid. Anyone have ideas what this could be?
I've seen that with a bad u-joint on the driveshaft, but I highly doubt that's the problem with only 9k miles on it.
jbjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
kvesi122
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My LJ has that same clack as well. Just ease the load off of the transmission before pressing the clutch. If I want to shift into neutral from reverse I'll slow on the brakes and shift around 1K rpm. 1st to 2nd shift on mine is a little wonky. No real sweet spot that I've found yet. All other shifts are butter smooth.
kvesi122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjorgen View Post
I've seen that with a bad u-joint on the driveshaft, but I highly doubt that's the problem with only 9k miles on it.
Interesting.. but it also does it in first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvesi122 View Post
My LJ has that same clack as well. Just ease the load off of the transmission before pressing the clutch. If I want to shift into neutral from reverse I'll slow on the brakes and shift around 1K rpm. 1st to 2nd shift on mine is a little wonky. No real sweet spot that I've found yet. All other shifts are butter smooth.
I think your right on this. I noticed that if I do is slowly it doesn't happen at all. I think if I suddenly just drop the clutch out it does this while there is load on the Jeep.

Driveway is somewhat slanted down, so going out of it I usually depress the clutch as I approach the road to wait for traffic and this is when it happens.
Unread 05-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I picked up a compression spring to mount on the throttle as apparently the 05 & 06 TJs do not come with them and this results in the sensitive throttle response.

We'll see how it is, I was going to order the actual MOPAR part # 52078102AB.

I gotta address the the driver side weather stripping on the door, the top was mounted a bit too towards all this time which deformed the weather stripping so the door was hard to close/open. Well moving the top back some helped the issue but it's still sticks a bit I find. I'm going to have to lube all the weather stripping on this thing.
Unread 05-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Damn you even got the 6 speed too...what a great find. Any plans for this rig?
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
Damn you even got the 6 speed too...what a great find. Any plans for this rig?
Thanks! Yah had to be a manual wouldn't have it any other way

Well this build I am going to do right and not rush into things, kind of made that mistake with the previous Jeep and I affected the ride quality of it.

Since the 31s are fairly new, plan is to ride them out if I can wait that long and put on 32/33s with a proper 2-2.5" lift. I stay on the road a lot with the Jeep so it's more for looks/pleasure but I don't want do something to it where it's going to impact it's every day use or make a trip with it just unbearable. So I am still researching with the stock gearing/6speed how the Jeep will be, because I really don't see myself doing a re-gear.

Currently I am looking into the CEL light I got from swapping the OPDA, guess my timing is off some. And I am in the midst of acquiring a throttle body return spring due to the super sensitive throttle on this thing.
Unread 05-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #8
kvesi122
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did you use the cam sensor that came with the OPDA? If so, swap in the stock sensor. Should get rid of the code.
Unread 05-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you use the cam sensor that came with the OPDA? If so, swap in the stock sensor. Should get rid of the code.
No I used my OEM sensor right away.
Unread 05-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #10
kvesi122
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What code are you getting?
Unread 05-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What code are you getting?
P0016, guess its the alignment of the OPDA..
Unread 05-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #12
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Gave it a good cleaning today, also installed some polyfill in the pods and front speakers.

Think I'll be ordering the seat risers as I find the driving position a bit odd in the LJ.

Unread 06-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Small mods for small Jeeps :P

Just installed a throttle return spring, find the throttle way too sensitive on the LJ so this makes it much more better.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next plan is to get some seat spacers to raise my seat a bit.
Unread 07-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #14
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Finally got around to get some seat spacers made up.

Only issue the guy gave me too long bolts at the store even after I told him I need 65mm length he insisted on 70mm.. Another trip to the store tomorrow to swap those out and actually install these.

Will probably throw a layer of paint on them.

Sent from under the Jeep
Unread 07-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #15
esad_b
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Finally had a chance to paint these and actually install the seat risers. What a difference this made, I only went with 1.25" ones.

I painted them black so they don't stick out like a sore thumb..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.