Rusty762's Project "Led Sled" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rusty762's Project "Led Sled"

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #61
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Thanks very much. And that is a very clean underneath.
No Worries, yes she is still a virgin. Looking forward to dragging her through some rocks this summer!

When I installed my sPOD figured I might as well replace the stock POS battery, bought one of these.

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #62
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I love Die Hard Batteries. But they don't sell them here. So I'm stuck with Optimas ..

Are you planning to use labeled Switches ?
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #63
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalali View Post
I love Die Hard Batteries. But they don't sell them here. So I'm stuck with Optimas ..

Are you planning to use labeled Switches ?
I will never buy another Optima, the last two I owned, one of them died at 18 months and they would not warranty the other just over 12 months and still no warranty. The Optimas I owned 10 years ago worked great and I never had any problems, guess when they started building them in Mejico they went to chi*.

Not sure but I will probably install the ARB switches in place of the stock ones that came with the sPOD. Yours console looks great with those. Did you start your LJ project?

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Unread 03-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #64
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looking for input on whether I should sleeve the front Rubi 44 with an Evo kit or use something like the T&T truss/gusset? I will be using an ARB, RCV shafts and running 37" tires (BFG All Terrains) which are only 36" actual and I am a careful driver but do not want to think about it when I am in Moab or Crawlorado and a long way from home...

I am sponge, feed me!

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Unread 03-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #65
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762
Looking for input on whether I should sleeve the front Rubi 44 with an Evo kit or use something like the T&T truss/gusset? I will be using an ARB, RCV shafts and running 37" tires (BFG All Terrains) which are only 36" actual and I am a careful driver but do not want to think about it when I am in Moab or Crawlorado and a long way from home...

I am sponge, feed me!
I haven't installed mine yet but I like the Evo sleeve idea better then a TNT truss. Those front truss' are too big and with space and clearance at a premium in the front I didn't wanna mess with that.
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #66
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I haven't installed mine yet but I like the Evo sleeve idea better then a TNT truss. Those front truss' are too big and with space and clearance at a premium in the front I didn't wanna mess with that.
And I go the other way; I like the fact that a truss adds some geometry into the mix, instead of relying on material thickness and strength alone. Of course, I'm making that statement with the understanding that we're talking about a truss that isn't massively over-large, like a lot of them are. I'm a big fan of the TNT truss, actually...so much that I want one for myself after having seen one in person. However, I do have to say that 4" springs were slung over that particular trussed axle, so I might not like it as much with my 2.5" stuff. I think that either sleeves or a truss is a must-have for 35+ inches of tire on a front 44, though...so you'd be well-served either way.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #67
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
Good to know you have a pair, well I have to make up my mind soon. I am going to knock this out next month and then its cutting time. How far from installing the sleeves are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
And I go the other way; I like the fact that a truss adds some geometry into the mix, instead of relying on material thickness and strength alone. Of course, I'm making that statement with the understanding that we're talking about a truss that isn't massively over-large, like a lot of them are. I'm a big fan of the TNT truss, actually...so much that I want one for myself after having seen one in person. However, I do have to say that 4" springs were slung over that particular trussed axle, so I might not like it as much with my 2.5" stuff. I think that either sleeves or a truss is a must-have for 35+ inches of tire on a front 44, though...so you'd be well-served either way.
I am leaning towards the TNT truss too, after scouring it looks like a good solution, only negative I see was the overall height but with my Currie 4" springs it looks like it would be ok for clearance. Guess I could do both as the cost for the sleeves is not bad. I hear you with 2.5" lift, everything gets tight in a hurry up front. After going back and forth I am running the 4" springs in the front and 14" CO's in the rear. Going to be lower than many of my previous rigs but definately more flexible than any of them were on leaf's...

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Unread 03-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #68
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
I am leaning towards the TNT truss too, after scouring it looks like a good solution, only negative I see was the overall height but with my Currie 4" springs it looks like it would be ok for clearance. Guess I could do both as the cost for the sleeves is not bad. I hear you with 2.5" lift, everything gets tight in a hurry up front. After going back and forth I am running the 4" springs in the front and 14" CO's in the rear. Going to be lower than many of my previous rigs but definately more flexible than any of them were on leaf's...
With 4" springs I think you're just fine for uptravel; my 2.5's will likely turn into 3's just to grab an extra half-inch and to get the benefits of a Currie progressive spring. I've also considered sleeving and trussing, but I just don't know if it's really going to do a lot for me; either the truss OR the sleeves should take care of the potential flex in the housing. A good welding job on the tube/center joints would finish off the strengthening and some gusseting on the C's would be icing on the cake. I'm staying with springs and shocks on all four corners, but I'm also only looking at 10"-travel shocks since my springs are so low. CO's are fun in the rear...

Unread 03-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #69
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762

Good to know you have a pair, well I have to make up my mind soon. I am going to knock this out next month and then its cutting time. How far from installing the sleeves are you?
I'm not sure. I need to finish my rear stretch before starting that job. Considering I don't get a ton of time to work on the jeep, a month maybe?
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:26 AM   #70
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Not sure but I will probably install the ARB switches in place of the stock ones that came with the sPOD. Yours console looks great with those. Did you start your LJ project?
Thanks!

Unfortunately I'm still strapped to my sick bed. So I still can't do anything "other than web wheeling" for my LJ !

I'm still selecting parts. The biggest thing is the hardtop. I'm still on the fence between the gr8top half cab and the Wildboar fastback.

Quote:

I am sponge, feed me!
I'm currently on the same setup with sleeves and 35s. So far, I didn't bend the tubes. But I'm thinking about ordering a pro rock 44 and then transfer everything over. This is on the condition that Vanco releases their new 17" brakes and that they fit RCV shafts.

If they didn't then I will build a custom dana 44/60 axle. Then I'll go 37s!
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #71
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Spent the Easter weekend with my folks at their house in Yosemite. My dad has a couple or ranges on his property, took my Barrett M98 out there to take some shots out to 1200 meters. Other than Cholame which is about 4 hours from where I live it is the only place I can get the distance. My local range (Lagunaseca) only goes out to 500..

My dads business is Buy, Sell, Trade pretty much anything but mostly guns and automobiles. His property is full of parts, I started rummaging through some wheels he had and found a set of four American Racing 17x8 aluminum wheels, 5x5.5 which are perfect for my new axles. The BS is 4.5 but should be fine with the 65" axle Currie is building. Going to wire wheel them and paint em black, cost was free as long as I do not bring them back.

Also these showed up today for my front Rubi D44, 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 spacers and they were blems so got em cheap.

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Unread 04-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #72
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Me like the pretty pictures.

Unread 04-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #73
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice chopper !
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #74
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Me like the pretty pictures.
I am so lazy, my go to camera for the last year is my iPhone...Meanwhile my Canon 1Dx is collecting dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalali View Post
Nice chopper !
Thanks, that is my Road Glide. Best Moto I have ever owned, whenever I need my speed fix out she comes.

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Unread 04-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #75
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am so lazy, my go to camera for the last year is my iPhone...Meanwhile my Canon 1Dx is collecting dust
As well it should; you can't take decent pictures with that digital junk...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.