Rusty762's Project "Led Sled" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rusty762's Project "Led Sled"

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Installed my Savvy modular under armor last weekend, was pretty straightforward I had to make a couple of modifications to some of the brackets. Threw a couple coats of Krylon Satin black on everything first.

First step was to support the Tranny/transfer case and remove the old shovel. I had already installed my Savvy BL and MML couple of months ago, loosened the body bolts up and jacked each side up so I could slip the C channel around the frame, then slid the crossmember in to check fit. I also dropped the front driveshaft to install my Novak kit I have had sitting here, If your doing a TT this is the perfect time to install a Novak. Everything went in pretty easy, I ended up bending my bracket to fit the tub. Novak is now welding the nuts to the bracket and my bracket was slightly off, It was simple to bend the tabs so that everything lay flat on the tub and all of the bolts went in straight.

Next step was to install the crossmember which slid right into place, my tranny mount when bolted up was skewed to the passenger side so I ran both of the holes over about half an inch so I could install the main crossmember bolts.

After the crossmember was bolted in, I ran some fuel line around the brake/fuel lines on the drivers side C Channel to protect them from the exposed threads there and any chance of rubbing. Took it for a test drive and no vibrations but there was a rattle at idle, turned out to be the exhaust rubbing the front passenger side CA mount so readjusted the exhaust and bolted up the skid plates. The front exhaust on the drivers side was also close to rubbing so while I had the engine skid out I made an additional cut to make sure there was no rubbing.

After staring at the skids and all the clearance I had just gained I took it out for another test drive, as soon as I started it there was a loud rattling reverberating through the cab. It sounded like a cage of monkeys had Britney Spears under there and were giving her hell. There was one place on the drivers side of my 241 case that was very close to rubbing the tub, well it is contacting the tub and once the Skids were bolted up everything became so rigid that the sound from the case was being transmitted through the cab.

I dropped the skids took some pictures where it was contacting the tub, going to try lowering the case this weekend and hammering the area up a 1/4-1/2 inch then I should be good to go!

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That looks real nice

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #18
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
That looks real nice
Thanks man it is coming along, think I am going to ditch the half cab and go to a soft top. Love the half cab for sound and security but do not think its going to work out with the way this jeep is going to get used.

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Unread 12-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool build, glad I caught it before it began to get longer. Any plans for a cage?

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Very cool build, glad I caught it before it began to get longer. Any plans for a cage?
Thanks!

I was going to build a custom cage for the bed that would butt right up against the half cab and tie into the rear of the frame by the tailgate and then a PSC cage for inside. After talking to some members here on the forum and the issues they have had with flexing of the tub and the half cabs and not being able to close doors I think I am going to go to a soft top and full cage.

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Unread 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #21
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Thanks!

I was going to build a custom cage for the bed that would butt right up against the half cab and tie into the rear of the frame by the tailgate and then a PSC cage for inside. After talking to some members here on the forum and the issues they have had with flexing of the tub and the half cabs and not being able to close doors I think I am going to go to a soft top and full cage.
I've read about that too. i think its one of the biggest disadvantages to that kind of conversion.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
slmason72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed! Ought to be a fun build...
slmason72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
CrankyGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

hey, this is a really neat build. too bad about reverting back to a cage.

i'm assuming you already "hammered" the underside of the tub for t-case clearance a few weeks back. if not, you could do what the AEV kit does: take a 2" long piece of 3/32"+ walled steel tubing (OD of 1.250-1.375") and cut it down the center. place one of the halves "over" the t-case nub where the bolt is and jack the case up into the tub - it will make a clean, perfectly-placed dimple.
Unread 12-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #24
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyGypsy View Post
hey, this is a really neat build. too bad about reverting back to a cage.

i'm assuming you already "hammered" the underside of the tub for t-case clearance a few weeks back. if not, you could do what the AEV kit does: take a 2" long piece of 3/32"+ walled steel tubing (OD of 1.250-1.375") and cut it down the center. place one of the halves "over" the t-case nub where the bolt is and jack the case up into the tub - it will make a clean, perfectly-placed dimple.
Thanks Gypsy, I did something very similar to what you described and it worked great. No more vibrations or noise, I am not sold yet on ditching the half cab. I have some ideas for a cage that might help keep the bulkhead from separating from the tub. Going to wheel it hard this summer and see what happens.

Saving up for my new rear axle, 75% there and then I can install my lift finally!

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Unread 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #25
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sub'd. Looking good! I considered doing the halfcab thing by running one of Jeff's roll bar pass thru designs. I admit, it looks and works a lot better on a LJ than it does on a TJ.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #26
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not much new on the build, got the tub clearanced with the 241 so no more monkeys banging the blonde. Decided to install a new Sony stereo that runs off an internal iPod or iPhone, no more skipping cd's and I have 40gb of music on board. There is a tray that opens out, you plug your iPod/iPhone in and it keeps it charged you also have access to Pandora radio which is kick *** and the stereo was only $130. Also installed some of the Nalin speaker adaptors to run some 5 1/4's in the dash, Nalin also has some kick *** Tweeter mounts that mount down by your feet. I ended up installing Marine grade Polks all around and threw a set of 6x9's behind the seats with 6ft of 12 gauge wire so I can throw them on the tailgate at camp for tunes.

With the half cab the sound inside or lack of was excellent, Now I am really looking forward to those long drives to Moab!
sony.jpg   ipod.jpg   polk5.25.jpg   polktweet.jpg   tweet.jpg  

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Unread 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #27
Mishimoto

Nice looking audio setup.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #28
h1driver

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see your finished product-

Subscribed... Looking forward to the build-
h1driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #29
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty762 View Post
Thanks man it is coming along, think I am going to ditch the half cab and go to a soft top. Love the half cab for sound and security but do not think its going to work out with the way this jeep is going to get used.
a half cab is my dream build.

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Parts continue to pile in the garage, Need to order coil overs, Gen Right tank and my rear axle!

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.