Rust Belt '14 JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rust Belt '14 JK

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Rust Belt '14 JK

Hey guys! I wanted to get a build/timeline of my new JK going for my own reference and to get some advice from you more experienced folk!

To start from the beginning, my first actual vehicle of my own was a Yellow 2000 TJ 4.0L 5 speed. Being that I live in rust central, I shopped for A LONGG time to find a decent TJ. Saw this thing for sale and quickly called the guy (who owned a small classic car dealership) to see what we could work out. I went and looked at the car.... (just kidding), I went to look at the JEEP and once I saw how clean the body was I had a hard time believing there would be any rot in the frame. It was well undercoated so I believed the good lying salesman that it was solid. I test drove it, and was already picking names for it. Cut through the rest of that winter, I began to notice the extensive frame rust that was hiding beneath the undercoat. Being that my father is a welder by trade, we could take care of it within reason.

I drove it for a while and did a few little things to it. Nothing extensive, just getting my feet wet in the Jeep world you could call it. I then graduated high school and moved to Florida for Motorcycle Mechanics Institute 'MMI'. While loving driving a Jeep to the beach every weekend, I noticed how loose the rear end felt. I knew my LCA mounts were going, but not to that extent. I had a local shop plate the sides while I flew home for Christmas. When I got back I traded the Jeep to a buddy with a '08 Civic and Supermoto.

blah blah blah

I came home from school (waste of money and time) and started working, bought a '92 Toyota Pickup and did a little work to it and put some MT/R's on it. After having a guy pull out in front of me and almost causing a horrible wreck due to blowing a brake line, I decided that I am done with older vehicles with rust issues and am buying a newer TJ or maybe a '12+ JK.

I got the approval from the parents to cosign a loan since I haven't had enough credit history to do it on my own. AND THE SHOPPING BEGAN!!

I knew the resale of Wranglers would be high but after seeing later model TJ's with 100,000 or more miles sell for $10-15 grand, I said screw it, I want a JK. Then while shopping for JK's I could only find newer ones with the 3.6L for near the price of a new one. Again I said screw it! I'M BUYING A NEW ONE!

I built just about every option possible on Jeeps website and decided what I wanted, went to a few dealerships, and they all told me that they were done ordering/building '14s and that I would have to wait for a '15 or just source a similar '14 at another dealership. I am not a very patient person, so I just kept looking.

Then one day I noticed a sweet looking 2014 and my parents said lets go for a ride and check it out just for kicks and giggles. Well the salesman basically tossed me the keys and said I need to drive it. The test drive was back an old logging or well road which was pretty cool. We went back and I knew I wanted it.

The dealership took a JK Sport with only A/C, auto, LSD, 3.73s, and a hard top, then sent it to River Raider. They threw some goodies at it which was what made me want it so bad at first, but now I'm seeing things that will be changed when I can do so.

So here is my new 2014 JKS 'River Raider'

The list of not so stock parts are
River Raider:
Front and Rear Bumper/Spare Carrier
Rock Sliders
Tube Fenders

Other parts:
1.75" Coil spacers (front and rear)
17x9 Ultra X105 Wheels
35/12.50x17 Fierce Attitude Tires
Fog lights in front bumper and same lights wired as backup lights in rear bumper

Unread 08-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

The plan as of now is:

Winch *currently have a lead on a 9.5 warn power plant for $150 that needs rebuilt
Truss front & rear. *custom
C gusset
2.5"/3" lift *undecided on brand, INPUT WELCOME!*
Diff covers. *undecided on brand
Redneck Fab CA's with Johnny Joints
Currie Antirock

Made my first purchase for the JK last night! Custom Marathon seat covers!! Probably going to order a couple hundred feet of paracord for some grab handles tonight
screen-shot-2014-08-19-8.41.52-pm.png

Unread 08-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
JD_JEEP_JK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice build you have going I would like to stay updated
JD_JEEP_JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
jcarroll1022

I also have a '14 JK and want to beef it up just a little bit. How's the ride with those 35" tires?
jcarroll1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarroll1022 View Post
I also have a '14 JK and want to beef it up just a little bit. How's the ride with those 35" tires?
It rides great! I'm only used to 31s so it rolls over things a lot nicer. There's only about 850 miles on the jeep so I haven't taken it anywhere but around town. Any hard wheeling will have to wait till I C gusset the front and truss them. Depending on what is done to yours, you won't be able to just throw 35s on.
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Jeep, man! You're right. The price of used vehicles is crazily close to that of new ones...idk why

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
jcarroll1022

35"s look nice with a 4" lift. I don't plan on doing any crazy off roading but would like to if I can find a spot
jcarroll1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 08:45 AM   #8
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You lucky jk owners and your big wheel wells....

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.